This document outlines the general goals for Apache Cordova 2.x series. We employ an agile release train on following schedule:
2.4 ... Jan ... board report due 2.5 ... Feb 2.6 ... Mar ... board report due 2.7 ... Apr 2.8 ... May 2.9 ... Jun ... board report due 3.0 ... Jul
What does 3.0 look like?
Apache Cordova 3.0 will ship without any Device API surface area and only the Cordova.exec FFI (and its dependencies as found in the CordovaJS subproject). Additional APIs can be installed/removed by end developers using plugin CLI tooling.
- Plugin discovery. (Anis in plugman repo.)
- Plugin remove. (Anis et al)
- Remove plugins to discreet repos and use discovery mechanism to compose different releases (All)
- HTML5 Audio API (Jesse)
Notifications API: http://www.w3.org/TR/notifications/ (that works w/ push notification servers)
- Native pickers for contacts and file (w/ help of Simon)
- Hardening and MAJOR release.
- Attempt Alex Russell/Jake Archibald's imperative API for App Cache.
Hosted Ripple! npm install -g ripple
archive api: https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/ArchiveAPI
- docs: security best practices guide
- docs: web development best practice guide (eg. fast clicks)
orientationchange event http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source-orientation.html and more here: https://gist.github.com/2942428
- webworkers with a browser ctx
- single js file (runtime figures out which overloads to use ala hasjs)
- windows phone touch event polyfill
sockets polyfill: http://caniuse.com/websockets
first class NFC API http://www.w3.org/wiki/Near_field_communications_(NFC)
- device capabilities api. related issues:
- Menu api to build menus for all platforms (discussion on Planning: Menu API) mainline
- enhance internationalization (i18n)
- Device.exitApp() as device independent way of closing application (exists in android / ios makes no sense)
- web intents or web activities
master cli script
plugin list: lists currently installed plugins for a given native project
cli tools parity
add globalization plugin to core (Bryce, Simon, Becky, Drew)
bridge performance by way of echo plugin (andrew)
Windows Phone 8
CLI npm install -g cordova
Parity of platform CLI scripts across BB, Android and iOS.
Ensure config.xml parity on all platforms.