Revision 1 as of 2007-03-27 08:27:07
converted to 1.6 markup
|No differences found!|
Google Summer of Code 2007 – Project Proposal
Subject ID: batik-udom http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2007
Title: Implement the SVG Tiny 1.2 µDOM
Student: Rathika Fernando
- Batik is a Java toolkit developed by Apache to process SVG documents. It basically consists of 3 types of modules, namely, application modules, core modules and low level modules. One of the core modules is the SVG DOM module that is used to create SVG documents in Batik. SVG 1.2 Tiny is a flavor of SVG developed especially for mobiles. It uses the µDOM API which is a scaled down form of the DOM API used in SVG 1.1. This particular project is to implement the SVG µDOM API core module for the Batik toolkit to be used with SVG 1.2 Tiny.
- The result of this project will be the documented and tested SVG Tiny 1.2 µDOM API to be used as a core module for the Apache Batik toolkit.
Benefits to the Apache Software Foundation
- Be able to use this module to develop the Batik toolkit for mobile applications.
- Hence, become a competitive graphics technology provider for the rapidly advancing mobile applications field.
Week 1 – Week 3: Initial research for project. During this period I plan to gain a comprehensive knowledge of the relationship between SVG, SVG DOM, SVG µDOM and Batik. I will also closely examine the source for the SVG DOM API core module.
Week 4: Planning of project. During this week I will carefully plan out the development of the module by identifying its architecture and core objects.
Week 5 – Week 10: Actual coding of the module will take place.
Week 10 – Week 13: Final testing and documentation of the project.
- My name is Rathika Fernando and I’m from Sri Lanka. I’m a 23 year old Electrical Engineering undergraduate at the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka (www.mrt.ac.lk). I have worked with Java as a 5 credit course module at the university. Currently, I’m engaged in doing the final year project of a microcontroller based PLC. I’m in the process of co-developing the software for this project by using C#. This is the first time I’m applying for a Google Summer of Code project. Although I am not highly experienced in developing software, I have a lot of enthusiasm for it and particularly for this project. I have already checked out the specifications for SVG 1.1, SVG Tiny 1.2 and Batik and I enjoyed the learning experience very much. What I love most about this project is the fact that I can work with Java (which I’m very comfortable with) and the fact that it deals with graphics and images (which I find interesting). If in case you find me a suitable student for this project, I wish to say that I am also very keen to contribute to Batik even after the Summer of Code period ends.