Incubator board report, August 2012


This report changes the way report reviews are indicated. Instead of the
"Signed off by mentor" line, we're now using a more generic "Signed-off-by"
notation for all interested IPMC members to sign off reports that they've
reviewed. Some podling reports also have explicit comments from IPMC members.

o Community

  Ted Dunning and Branko Čibej joined the Incubator PMC since our last report.

  The following podlings are requesting graduation to an Apache TLP:

  - Apache DirectMemory
  - Apache Lucene.NET

  The Incubator PMC recommends the board to accept the respective resolutions.
  A number of other podlings are currently preparing for graduation.

  The following proposal for a new incubating project was accepted:

  - Apache Blur

  A proposal for a new project called Drill was brought up for discussion.

  We're continuing the work started in May to better identify absent mentors
  and thus have a clearer picture of codlings without enough active help and
  oversight. Efforts to find replacement mentors have seen mixed success so far.

  Some of the podlings with low activity haven't seen much improvement over
  many quarters already. We're working with those projects to seek appropriate
  exit strategies from the Incubator. Such projects make the majority of
  podlings that have been incubating for years already.

o Releases

  The following incubating releases were made since our last report:

  - July 18th, 2012: Apache Any23 0.7.0-incubating
  - July 23rd, 2012: Apache SIS 0.2-incubating
  - July 26th, 2012: Apache Flex 4.8.0-incubating
  - July 26th, 2012: Apache Openmeetings 2.0-incubating
  - July 27th, 2012: Apache Syncope 1.0.0-RC3-incubating
  - July 30th, 2012: Apache Amber 0.22-incubating
  - August 2nd, 2012: Apache Airavata 0.4-incubating

  Cutting releases in the Incubator remains a difficult task. We discussed
  starting a "release task force" to help fix this, and there have already
  been some good ideas on how to do that. Unfortunately there are few concrete
  improvements yet, and meanwhile podlings continue having trouble attracting
  enough IPMC attention on their release candidates.

  The vote on an upcoming Bloodhound release brought up the topic of how
  relaxed we can be in interpreting the Apache release policy for polling
  releases. The current thinking is that since these are official Apache
  releases so notable breaches of policy that materially affect our rights
  or those of our downstream users to distribute or use the released code
  are allowed only if explicitly cleared by legal. Smaller issues like
  minor mistakes in source headers or partially incomplete licensing metadata
  can be allowed in an incubating release as long there's a commitment to
  fix such issues in time for the next release.

  We also did some cleanup in /dist/incubator of old releases by projects
  that have already graduated and have more recent releases.

o Legal / Trademarks

  See podling reports for a few ongoing and already resolved issues.
  The only bigger issue that may be of interest to the board is the
  contribution of the GeoTk codebase that led the SIS podling into
  discussions with the OSGeo foundation. See the SIS report for details.

o Infrastructure

  One topic for the proposed release task force to look into is the
  migration of /dist/incubator to svnpubsub within the next few months.
  No progress on this yet.

-------------------- Summary of podling reports --------------------

Still getting started at the Incubator (4 podlings)

  Allura, CloudStack, Crunch, cTAKES

  These projects are still getting started, so no immediate progress
  towards graduation is yet expected.

Not yet ready to graduate (5 podlings)

  Low activity:  Clerezza, Droids, Nuvem
  Low diversity: PhotArk, Syncope

  We expect the next quarterly report of projects in this category to
  include a summary of their actions and progress in solving these issues.

Ready to graduate (8 podlings)

  Airavata, Amber, DeltaSpike, Lucene.NET, SIS, Stanbol, Wink, Wookie

  We expect these projects to graduate within the next quarter.

Missed reports (2 podlings)

  Ambari, NPanday

  These projects failed to report in time. A report is expected next month.

--------------------
Airavata

Airavata is a software toolkit which provides features to compose, manage,
execute, and monitor large scale applications and workflows on computational
resources ranging from local clusters to national grids and computing clouds.
Airavata is incubating since May 2011.

A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
graduation

  1. Airavata started to see active contributions from diverse organizations.
     Thanks to GSoC students, tutorial and outreach events conducted by dev's,
     and growing general interest. The community would like to keep this
     momentum, and encourage diverse participation and hoping to retain
     interest from GSoC students.

  2. Create a clear and concise roadmap.

  3. Review the architecture and document the findings and improve incumbent
     documentation.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?

  The community was very active this summer with large number of dev list
  and code commit email traffic (May: Dev-220, Commit-169;
  June: Dev-371, Commit-366; July: Dev-271, Commit-226).

  Random community members have been proposing new use cases, and filing
  feature requests in JIRA, this is a very good sign. Hoping to see some
  of them will turn into contributors and then committers.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Yes. Shahani Weerawarana from University of Moratuwa, Srilanka
  was voted in as a committer and PPMC members based on her contributions.
  A good number of community members are actively filing JIRA's and some have
  started to contribute patches. Some of them seem to be potential commiters.

  Of the 4 GSoC projects proposed on Airavata 3 students are actively
  developing and interacting with community. In addition to GSoC goals,
  these students also are actively participating in technical discussions
  and reviewing, testing and voting on releases.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Within the last quarter the project has made 0.3-incubating and
  0.4-incubating releases.

Signed-off-by: mattmann, rgardler, ate, jukka
IPMC comments:
    mattmann - project is basically ready to graduate. I am going 
               to start DISCUSS thread on list post 0.4 final release.

--------------------
Allura

A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation

  1. Move project development to ASF hardware
  2. Grow the community
  3. Get the necessary paperwork (CLAs and software grant) submitted

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?

  No issues at this time

How has the community developed since the last report?

  We had a BOF at OSCON, which was attended by 8 people, 4 of whom were new to
  the community and have expressed interest in participating and have joined the
  mailing lists. Other people at OSCON have expressed interest in the project,
  and we hope to see them join the lists soon.

  We have also had some offers of contribution from people at Bitergia who are
  interested in contributing the work that they have done around metrics. which
  was a very encouraging start to growing the community.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  This is our first report, as we have just begun the incubation process.
  Infra has set up our mailing lists, and discussions have started. Also,
  since we will be self-hosted, Infra has created a VM for us, and we are
  in the process of installing Allura on that VM. We are also in the process
  of getting CLAs for all of our initial committers, and reaching out to
  anyone outside of the initial team for additional participants on the project.

Signed-off-by: gstein, rgardler, jukka

--------------------
Ambari

Failed to report in time, report expected next month.

--------------------
Amber

Amber has been incubating since July 2010. Amber is a project to develop
a Java library which provides an API specification for, and an unconditionally
compliant implementation of the OAuth v1.0, v1.0a and v2.0 specifications.
OAuth is a mechanism that allows users to authenticate and authorise access
by another party to resources they control while avoiding the need to share
their username and password credentials.

A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
graduation

  - Attract users and developers
  - Start to think about a  graduation plan

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?

  No particularly issues at the moment

How has the community developed since the last report?

  New users / devs show up on the mailing lists both contributing patches
  and asking for guidance/release

  Fraunhofer AISEC decided to donate their UMA implementation based on
  OAuth 2.0 (http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/Fraunhofer+AISEC+Implementation+FAQ)
  to Amber (see AMBER-57). Amber PPMCs are evaluating how to move forward.

How has the project developed since the last report

  - The legal issue that slowed down the project significantly has been
    finally solved, see LEGAL-134
  - Fixed a bunch of issues for aligning with latest OAuth specification
  - amber-0.22-incubating (Amber first release) has been officially approved
    and ready to be used.

Signed-off-by: Raymond Feng (rfeng), mfranklin, jukka
IPMC comments:
 mfranklin: Everything looks good with community & project. Status page needs
            to be updated and all items signed off before graduation.
     jukka: Congratulations on the release and especially on successfully
            navigating through the legal issue!

--------------------
Clerezza

(incubating since November 27th, 2009)

Clerezza is a framework and set of components designed to make it easy to
build applications for the semantic and the social web.

Graduation:

  As in our last report in May, we believe Clerezza should graduate soon, but
  unfortunately that hasn't happened yet. Activity is currently fairly low,
  and it looks like Clerezza might remain a small/low activity project, but
  the PPMC is functional, has done releases and invited additional committers
  so there's no need to stay in the Incubator any longer once a plan to attempt 
  to grow the community is in place.
 
  This plan has been discussed, and mostly involves better exposing Clerezza's 
  reusable components. The current docs mostly present the content management 
  aspects of Clerezza, which require adopting it as a whole, although several 
  modules are useful on their own for tasks related to RDF data and/or triple 
  stores. Making it clearer which modules are useful on their own should help 
  grow the community.

How has the community developed since the last report:

  No changes since last report.

How has the project developed since the last report:

  Some project restructuring to facilitate releasing individual modules.

Next steps:

  - Release individual modules.
  - Improve docs on reusing parts of Clerezza.
  - Graduate.

Signed-off-by: jukka, bdelacretaz (mentor)
IPMC comments:
  jukka: +1 to attempts to regain lost momentum

--------------------
CloudStack

A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation

  1. Licensing work
  2. Finishing up the move of CloudStack infrastructure resources to the ASF.
  3. Shipping a release.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?

  No issues at this time

How has the community developed since the last report?

  CloudStack has added 6 new committers in the month of July.

  We had BOF and hackathon time at OSCON, which was a positive benefit for
  those committers who attended, particularly in being able to delve into
  issues around incubation, branding, and licensing. Additionally two
  committers presented tutorials at OSCON one focused on end users deploying
  CloudStack and the other focused on developers hacking on CloudStack, both
  had great attendance.

  We have also had some offers of contribution from people at Bitergia who are
  interested in contributing the work that they have done around metrics. which
  was a very encouraging start to growing the community.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Lots of modularization has been injected into CloudStack, which makes some
  of our licensing issues far less of a problem as we can merely turn the
  affected code off by default.

  The wiki has begun migration to an ASF hosted wiki instance.

  One of the CloudStack committers provided a dramatically easier way to be
  able to test and develop for CloudStack in the form a completely contained
  CloudStack environment that can be run as a VirtualBox VM. Much additional
  enhancement has been contributed to this making the process easier and
  easier to update.

  We also saw the movement of documentation from binary .docx files to
  DocBook XML; while this effort isn't complete it does permit folks to far
  more easily collaborate, as well as providing a far better interface
  for l10n.

Signed-off-by: brett, jukka, jim

--------------------
Crunch

Crunch is a Java library for writing, testing, and running pipelines of
MapReduce jobs on Apache Hadoop.

Crunch entered incubation on 2012-05-29.

The most important steps towards graduation:

  - Infrastructure setup (CMS for the Crunch website)
  - Add new committers
  - Create a release

Nothing that currently requires IPMC attention.

Community:

  The Crunch developer community continue to grow. The project
  received code submissions from six new developers representing
  five distinct organizations in the month of July. One of the new
  developers made such substantial contributions to the design
  and testability of the Crunch code base that the PPMC voted
  to add him as a committer, increasing the number of distinct
  organizations on the committer list from four to five. We look
  forward to adding new committers from our pool contributors, and
  also added documentation to the wiki to explain to new contributors
  how to get started with the project.

Development: 

  - 29 issues were created on the Crunch JIRA in the month of July,
    23 of those were resolved.
  - All ICLAs are in place, including the one for the committer the project
    just added.
  - Cloudera submitted the software grant documents to the Apache
    Secretary on 2012-07-11, and the Secretary registered the grant
    the same day.
  - crunch-dev has been active: 308 emails on the list in July.

Signed-off-by: jukka

--------------------
cTAKES

cTAKES (clinical Text Analysis and Knowledge Extraction System) is a natural
language processing (NLP) tool for information extraction from electronic
medical record clinical free-text.

cTAKES was voted into the Incubator by the IPMC on Monday, June 11, 2012.

Three most important steps moving towards graduation

  - Attract new contributors
  - Make at least one cTAKES release
  - Get everyone's ICLA on file and start developing code at Apache and using
    the infrastructure

Anything required IPMC attention?

  No

Community:

  All ICLAs are now on file from initial committers in proposal.

  We have been actively discussing the work going on still at SF.net
  with respect to cTAKES pre-Apache and now Apache cTAKES. Most of the
  cTAKES community here at the ASF is learning the ASF model and infra.
  There was an active discussion regarding the proposed release of cTAKES
  at SF.net (2.6) and Chris and Jörn suggested that the release should be 
  made at Apache. The team is now progressing towards that goal. We are 
  in the process of attracting new contributors and building the community, so 
  far focusing on contributors from the SF.net project from Boston Children's 
  Hospital, MITRE Corp., Mayo Clinic, and Colorado University.

Development:

  - We plan to migrate the entire SVN repo from SourceForge to Apache SVN.
    (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5079)  Our goal is to create
    an initial 2.6-incubating release after this is done.

  - We have received ICLA's from  Sean Finan, Tim Miller, Dmitry Dligach,
    Vinod Kaggal

  - We began using Apache's Infrastructure (SVN, Apache CMS, Jira,
    Mailing Lists)

  - The ctakes-dev@ discussions have been very active with over 182 mails
    within the last month.

Signed-off-by: mattmann, jukka

--------------------
DeltaSpike

(incubating since December 2011)

DeltaSpike will consist of a number of portable CDI extensions that provide
useful features for Java application developers. The goal of DeltaSpike is
to create a de-facto standard of CDI-Extensions that is developed and
maintained by the community.

There are currently no issues requiring IPMC or Board attention.

Since our last report in May 2012, we have accomplished the following:

  - Started using Apache-CMS for our site and documentation
  - Refactored the initial test-infrastructure
  - We did a major review and cleanup of the existing code-base
  - prepared for the release of deltaspike-0.3-incubating
  - added lots of new features
  - established an active community
  - New Committers (voted and added)
    - Charles Moulliard
    - Romain Manni-Bucau

Upcoming major goals:

  - Finish the setup for the documentation and the website
  - Release deltaspike-0.3-incubating 
  - add JSF module and simple login/authentication

Top 2 or 3 things to resolve before graduation:

  1. Create Documentation

Signed-off-by: Gerhard Petracek, Mark Struberg, jim, Dave Fisher
IPMC comments:
  Dave Fisher: AFAIK Documentation is not a graduation requirement.
               I was frustrated with the documentation because the lack makes
               it hard to understand the project, but that is not a blocker.
               I think the project should start working on graduation soon.

--------------------
Droids

Droids is an Incubator project arrived from Apache Labs. Droids entered
incubation on October, 2008.

It's an intelligent standalone robot framework that allows one to create
and extend existing web robots.

Issues before graduation :

  Diversity is still an issue for the poddling. More activity will help the
  diversity problem.

  Activity is still an issue for the poddling. The poddling has attempted
  to make its second release. However, it is having difficulty securing
  the necessary votes from IPMC members. The difficulty in making a release
  discourages activity.

  It was discussed on general@i.a.o by IPMC members after last quarter's
  report that it might be possible to graduate into Commons. The project
  has not approached the Commons PMC about this possibility at this time,
  but will be explored in the next quarter.

Signed-off-by:  rfrovarp, mfranklin, jukka
IPMC comments:
  jukka: two consecutive quarters with low activity, +1 to approaching Commons

--------------------
Lucene.NET

Lucene.Net was accepted into the Apache Incubator in February 2011.
Originally it was a sub project of the Lucene Project.

Lucene.Net is a port of the Lucene search engine library, written in C# and
targeted at .NET runtime users. Lucene.Net has three primary goals:

  - Maintain the existing line-by-line port from Java to C#, fully automating
    and commoditizing the process such that the project can easily synchronize
    with the Java Lucene release schedule.

  - High-performance C# search engine library.

  - Maximize usability and power when used within the .NET runtime. To that
    end, it will present a highly idiomatic, carefully tailored API that
    takes advantage of many of the special features of the .NET runtime.

Recent Activity:

  - Voted to graduation (vote passed - we will now be sending our resolution
    to the board)

Current Activities:

  Lucene 3.0.3 has taken longer to get out the door than expected -
  originally planned for June. We are still nearly ready to release,
  but we have added a lot of functionality - compatibility with .NET 3.5
  (which we removed for the 2.9.4 release). CLS compliance for usage with
  other .NET languages (like VB.NET). We have also done a lot of cleanup
  work on the code base.

  Working through the graduation process and all the entails.

Long term goals:

  Have a nearly fully automated process to convert Java Lucene to C#.
  (This has been a goal, but we are discussing if this is truly the best
  idea of the project).
  MAY UPDATE: We have done some more investigative work on this, but not
  much progress was made.
  AUGUST UPDATE: still unfortunately little progress has been made

  Parity with Java Lucene (4.0). Planning for an interim 3.6 release before
  the 4.0.

  Have a new .NET version of Lucene utilizing .NET constructs and idioms.
  Much progress was made on this (using properties vs GetXX/SetXX).

Graduation thought:

  We are submitting our resolution to the board, the vote has passed in
  our Lucene.Net community as well as by the IPMC and incubator community.

Signed-off-by: jukka

--------------------
NPanday

Failed to report in time, report expected next month.

--------------------
Nuvem

Apache Nuvem will define an open application programming interface for
common cloud application services, allowing applications to be easily
ported across the most popular cloud platforms.

Nuvem was accepted for Incubation on June, 2010.

The Nuvem project is moving very slowly, contributions are mostly around 
the new features: Message Queue component for different cloud platforms,
which is part of Dulini Atapattu's GSoC project.

Top things to resolve prior to graduation:

  - Increase the number of active committers.

Signed-off-by: lresende (mentor), bimargulies, jukka
IPMC comments:
  bimargulies: The report comment about small size and slow growth seems
               accurate, but there's at least an active mentor in the
               house and some things are happening.
        jukka: A more concrete plan on how to proceed is needed.
               Only a single commit since their last report.

--------------------
PhotArk

Apache PhotArk will be a complete open source photo gallery application
including a content repository for the images, a display piece, an access
control layer, and upload capabilities.

PhotArk was accepted for Incubation on August 19, 2008.

PhotArk has a small community of contributors, mostly students, that need a
lot of attention in order to keep them active. The recent move in the 
project direction to become a hybrid HTML5/Cordova mobile application that 
aggregates images from different photo sources has contributed to bring old 
members of the community and the is also two students participating in 
GSoC that have been doing a great job.

The community have voted Prabhath Suminda as a new project committer, and 
if finalizing the vote on another new committer as well.

Issues before graduation :

  PhotArk started as a project with no initial code-base, and we have
  grown the community to the minimal independent committer size required
  for graduation. We need to make these contributors constantly active
  in order to think about graduation again, or recruit new contributors.
  If the project can sustain the same level of activity for the next three
  months, I believe we could think about graduation again.

Signed-off-by: lresende (mentor), jukka
IPMC comments:
 jukka: Just one active mentor, though Luciano is doing great.
        The heavy reliance on GSoC is a diversity concern.

--------------------
SIS 

Apache SIS is a toolkit that spatial information system builders or users
can use to build applications containing location context. This project will
look to store reference implementations of spatial algorithms, utilities,
services, etc. as well as serve as a sandbox to explore new ideas. Further,
the goal is to have Apache SIS grow into a thriving Apache top-level
community, where a host of SIS/GIS related software (OGC datastores, REST-ful
interfaces, data standards, etc.) can grow from and thrive under the
Apache umbrella.

SIS was voted into the Incubator by the IPMC on February 21, 2010.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?

  We are currently discussing a large software grant and code drop from
  the GeoTk (fork of GeoTools) project. This could easily make SIS a 
  "go to" spatial library for many Java/other communities in the spatial 
  domain and get us a long way. 
  
  However, we are being VERY careful to make sure that we are operating
  in the Apache way here, and discussing the pros and cons of incremental
  development on list, and with the mentors and ASF members watching 
  the project. Martin Desruisseaux is leading the discussions from the 
  GeoTk side and he is also in contact with the OSGeo board to determine
  if they will grant copyright to the ASF and to the original developers
  of GeoTK. We are discussing all of the issues on list, and the OSGeo
  side of the conversation will come up at their board meeting on August 9, 2012
  http://s.apache.org/nG.

Community progress since the last report

  Ross Laidlaw, Peter Karich, and Charith Madusanka were 
  added as SIS PPMC members and committers.

Project progress since last report

  Apache SIS 0.2-incubating was released on July 23, 2012:

  http://s.apache.org/WiT

  Kevan Miller stepped up and helped us out with some LICENSE
  and NOTICE file issues.

  Looking at just mailing list activity:
  sis-dev: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-sis-dev/
  had 3, 13 and 78 messages from May 2012, June 2012 and July 2012, 
  respectively.

  Ross Laidlaw, our GSoC student has put up a guide on the wiki for how
  to integrate Apache SIS with Apache OODT: you can find the tutorial here,
  as well as links to our other Incubator reports (linked and re-organized
  by Chris Mattmann):

  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SIS/Home

  Chris filed an issue for GeoSPARQL integration, SIS-42, but there 
  hasn't been much progress to date on it.

  SIS is actively being used and piloted by students of Dr. Ellis Horowitz and
  Chris Mattmann in USC's CSCI 572: Search Engines and Information Retrieval
  class: http://www-scf.usc.edu/~csci572.

  The team is very excited to be actively working and collaborating with
  the GeoTK project's Martin Desruisseaux. We are discussing ways to do
  a full import of the GeoTK code and to bring their community to the ASF
  as part of SIS. So far so good. In addition, we are educating the GeoTK
  community as to the benefits of the ASF. 
   
  An ASF Legal question arose out of this conversation, LEGAL-143, and it's
  being tracked here:
 
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-143

Signed-off-by: mattmann, kevan, jukka
IPMC comments:
  jukka: There was a request for board-level backing for the efforts to build
         an organization-level relationship with the OSGeo foundation.

--------------------
Stanbol

Apache Stanbol is an open source modular software stack and reusable set of
components for semantic content management. Incubating since November, 2010.

Graduation:

  There are no more remaining issues for graduation. Since the last report
  the project made a 2nd release of a single component showing that Stanbol
  is able to release single components (and modules).

  The project has updated its status page at [1] and opened
  PODLINGNAMESEARCH-8 [2] to establish Stanbol as a project name. Since
  there seem to be no issues against graduation from our mentors the
  next step is to create and discuss a resolution.

  [1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/stanbol.html
  [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-8

Community:

  No new committers or PPMC members since the last report, but steady activity
  on our lists from both existing and new members of our community.

  The Integration with DBpedia Spotlight resulted in a contribution of the
  resulting Enhancement Engines (STANBOL-706)

  Mihaly Heder joined the community and is working on an Stanbol UIMA
  Adapter (allows to use Apache UIMA as Stanbol Enhancement Engine
  and to convert UIMA results to the Stanbol Enhancement Engine
  (see http://markmail.org/thread/frog2pnarpedmkdq)

  Apache Stanbol was integrated into the LOD2 (http://lod2.eu/) -
  meaning that LOD2 manages now a Debian package for Apache Stanbol.
  In addition there are also talks between the Stanbol and the
  NIF community (see http://markmail.org/thread/oq3y4ae2rhtbmpri)

  The RDF extension of Google Refine http://refine.deri.ie
  release support for reconciling using the Apache Stanbol Entityhub
  (see http://markmail.org/message/lv3oj7m6agwmc7eg)

  Several nice blogs from Apache Stanbol users e.g. on how to implement
  Enhancemnt Engines (http://formcept.com/blog/stanbol/)

  GSoC project MidTerm results (http://markmail.org/thread/57lvkd2agtxpri54)

  Apache Stanbol was a major topic of the IKS Community Workshop in
  Salzburg. Many new and Interesting Stanbol use cases where shown.
  Blogs about a lot of those can be found at http://blog.iks-project.eu/

Project activity:

  - New utility for performance/stress testing of the Stanbol Enhancer
  - Added "Managed Sites" to the Stanbol Entityhub (allows to manage
    Entities by using the Entityhub RESTful API
  - Major improvements to the Ontology Manager
    see http://markmail.org/thread/xeiafefwj3ovnesi
  - First working version of (STANBOL-471): Also ongoing work to adopt
    this "store -> index" architecture also for the Stanbol Entityhub.
  - High number of small improvements and bug fixes (> 70 solved Isses
    since June)

Signed-off-by: rgardler, bdelacretaz, jukka

--------------------
Syncope

Syncope is an Open Source system for managing digital identities in enterprise
environments, implemented in JEE technology. Syncope joined the incubator
on February 10th 2012.

Community Development:

  The transition of previous users-base to the new ASF infrastructure was
  successfully completed. user@ ML activity is raising, with new users
  evaluating the project and asking questions: currently 35 subscribers,
  including 4 archive / non human addresses.

  Two contributors were voted and reported in project site's team list page.
  The PPMC voted a new committer and PPMC member; this candidate declined our
  invitation. dev@ ML activity is quite consistent: currently 35 subscribers,
  including 4 archive / non human addresses.

Project Development:

  Commits activity is healthy, commits@ ML activity is high.

  Three releases, carried out by two distinct release managers, have been
  successfully completed; the release process has been included in project
  website in order to facilitate new release managers. The path to
  1.0.0-incubating seems to be really short now.

  The community discussed and elaborated the project roadmap currently
  drafted at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Roadmap

Web Site/Communication Development:

  The website is kept up-to-date on http://incubator.apache.org/syncope/
  Status page http://incubator.apache.org/projects/syncope.html is updated.
  It introduces Syncope, provides first content and news.

Signed-off-by: simonetripodi, elecharny, coheigea, bimargulies, jukka

--------------------
Wink

Apache Wink is a project that enables development and consumption of REST
style web services. The core server runtime is based on the JAX-RS (JSR 311)
standard. The project also introduces a client runtime which can leverage
certain components of the server-side runtime. Apache Wink will deliver
component technology that can be easily integrated into a variety of
environments.

Apache Wink has been incubating since 2009-05-27.

Development list traffic and discussions are steadily, but low. Users
have been helping each other with questions and suggestions.

Activities since last report period :

  - Apache Wink 1.2 completed.
  - Apache Wink 1.2.1 being voted.
  - Website being migrated to Apache CMS and taking in consideration
    trademark requirements (still in progress)
  - Based on IPMC feedback, Graduation discussions have started again.

Planned Activity:

  - Continue next round of graduation discussions

Signed-off-by: kevan, jukka
IPMC comments:
  jukka: Some differing opinions about status in May,
         see http://markmail.org/message/k4lt4q2m5rox6bcm

--------------------
Wookie

Wookie is a Java server application that allows you to upload and deploy
widgets for your applications. Wookie is based on the W3C Widgets
specification, but widgets can also be included that use extended APIs
such as Google Wave Gadgets and OpenSocial.

Wookie has been incubating since 17th July 2009.

Progress since May 2012:

 - Implemented new release schedule (aligned with Apache Rave)
 - Two new releases
   - 0.10.0 (24th May)
   - 0.11.0 (22nd June)
 - Started graduation process

Next steps:

 - 0.12.0 release
 - Complete graduation process

Issues before graduation:

 - none

Details:

  In our last report we identified a task to increase the frequency of
  releases to help community development, and this has now been achieved.

  We also indicated that we were ready to graduate from incubation. Since
  then we have held a vote on the wookie-dev list to nominate the PMC chair.
  Scott Wilson was the person voted as proposed chair (receiving 6 +1s,
  with no other votes) A JIRA issue has been created
  (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WOOKIE-348) for the graduation
  process, which includes references to wookies charter.

Signed-off-by: Ate, rgardler, jukka

--------------------

August2012 (last edited 2012-08-10 19:30:36 by JukkaZitting)