Revision 1 as of 2005-02-28 19:54:17
Initial content copied from March 2004 proposal
converted to 1.6 markup
|No differences found!|
Proposal for improved (proper) Mailing List Manager for James
To seed this discussion, the content begins with a March 2004 proposal for a mailing list manager for Apache James that implements the key features of ezmlm and other mailing list managers. I am listing the major features in brief, so that you don't need to read a lot of detail on concepts you already understand, but if there is anything unclear, please ask.
- - archives (mbox and maildir formats)
- - write to a suitable format for a separate web archiver, e.g., eyebrowse - provision for simple index/get operations, and later commands as desired. - ability to feed eyebrowse
- (e.g., subscribe, confirm, accept, allow, deny, etc.) to be added
- - language-neutral; bindings for many languages - could provide a web-based management interface
- opt-out with list, unsubscribe
- denied, pending, bounce, opt-out, moderator, manager
- - some features, such as filtering and modification are
- provided by Apache James. The concept being added is the configuration of pre-existing capabilities on a per-list basis through the list manager.
- by a domain manager)
- add footer
Obviously, some of those are more core features than others, and the project can be scoped as desired. The core is the LDAP-based management and extensible action library, upon which everything else is built. In a pinch, any writable JNDI store could be made to work, but wouldn't be accessible from other languages.