Lucene would like to acquire a dedicated resource for running performance testing on a regular basis and that hooks into our Jenkins builds.
This machine would be used for:
- Running very long running tests, maybe weekly, eg Test2BTerms (which takes ~6 hours on a fast machine); the existence of this machine would enable/encourage us to make longer running tests (Eg, index all of Wikipedia)
Performing standard performance benchmarks, likely at least daily, eg from luceneutil, which would let us track any slowdowns in indexing or searching over time; it's important the machine be fully idle to reduce noise, so that these results are comparable day to day
- Modern 64 bit CPU w/ at least 4 real cores
- 4+ local TB hard drive storage, across 2 drives (eg 2 2TB drives). At least one SSD would be a bonus
- 8+ GB RAM, ideally at least 16 GB.
- OS: modern Linux (there are more JVMs to swap in for random testing)