Tika release process
Making a release
1. Update version numbers (from X.Y-dev to X.Y) for release in:
- pom.xml - version tag
2. Update CHANGES.txt with release date (Release X.Y - MM/dd/yyyy) and (if needed) add additional changelog entries
3. Check if documentation needs an update
4. Update news in src/site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/index.xml and for main lucene.apache.org site stored at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/site/. The second change may require additional rights
5. Commit all these changes
6. Make a clean checkout
7. Build it.
- mvn package
8. Run unit tests
- mvn test
9. Do basic test to see if release looks ok - e.g. install it and run Tika command line on a sample document
10. Branch it for release maintenance
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/tika/branches/X.Y -m "Tika X.Y release maintenance branch and rc working copy."
11. Create a branch for release maintenance
12. Sign it - Step-By-Step Guide to Mirroring Releases.
- e.g., gpg --armor --output tika-X.Y.tar.gz.asc --detach-sig tika-X.Y.tar.gz \
md5sum tika-X.Y.tar.gz > tika-X.Y.tar.gz.md5
13. Release Review and Vote: Use the following email as a template for a real email sent to the email@example.com and the firstname.lastname@example.org lists, calling for a vote on the release candidate (posted on a publicly accessible website):
I have posted a candidate for the Apache Tika X.Y release at
See the included CHANGES.txt file for details on release contents and latest changes. The release was made from the X.Y-dev trunk.
Please vote on releasing these packages as Apache Tika X.Y. The vote is open for the next 72 hours. Only votes from Lucene PMC and Tika committers are binding, but everyone is welcome to check the release candidate and voice their approval or disapproval. The vote passes if at least three binding +1 votes are cast.
[ ] +1 Release the packages as Apache Tika X.Y.
[ ] -1 Do not release the packages because...
14. Based on feedback, cut new release candidates and update accordingly
15. Once vote passes, tag the tika release:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/tika/tika/tags/X.Y -m "Tika X.Y release."
16. Copy release tar file to people.apache.org:/www/www.apache.org/dist/lucene/tika. based on vote (also included *.asc file and *.md5 file)
17. Wait 24 hours for release to propagate to mirrors.
18. Deploy new Tika site (according to Website Update HOWTO).
19. Deploy new main Lucene site (according to Website Update HOWTO but modified for Lucene site - update is to be performed in /www/lucene.apache.org directory).
20. Update Javadoc in people.apache.org:/www/lucene.apache.org/tika/apidocs.
21. Create version in JIRA for release X.Y.
22. Send announcements to the user and developer lists.
Preparing for new development
1. Update version numbers for to A.B-dev (assuming A.B is next release number) in:
- pom.xml - version tag
2. Update CHANGES.txt with header for new changes
3. Create version in JIRA for development snapshots (A.B-dev)