This is the release checklist for XML Graphics Commons:
Before the Release
- Determine whether further testing is required.
- Commit any outstanding changes
- Have Apache Ant 1.7 or later installed.
- Have Apache Forrest Trunk installed (rev 632959 or later)
Preparing the Release
Create a temporary branch for the release. For example, if the release is 1.2: svn copy https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/commons/trunk https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/commons/branches/commons-1_2
- Checkout a copy of the new branch and work on it from now on
- Edit release notes (README, status.xml in the root and in xdocs). In status.xml, close the release element for trunk, and open a release element for the new release.
- Update version number in build.properties, and commit the change. Also update the version number in the Trunk version of build.properties and commit it. This is the only change in the branch that won't have to be merged back in the Trunk.
- Check and update the copyright year in NOTICE and build.xml.
- Update the index.xml for the new version.
- Make a test build and check everything's ok
Tag the source tree with the release ID: svn copy https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/commons/branches/commons-1_2 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/commons/tags/commons-1_2
Make a fresh checkout with the just created tag: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/commons/tags/commons-1_0
- Alternatively, create a build-local.properties file that points to the above libs.
- Run ant[.sh] dist. Do this with Sun JDK 1.4.2_08 or later. A Forrest installation is needed.
Create signatures if they are not already added by the dist build. Don't forget to upload your KEY: gpg -a -b --force-v3-sigs xmlgraphics-commons-1.0.tar.gz etc.
Add MD5 sums if they are not already added by the dist build: md5 xmlgraphics-commons-1.0-bin.tar.gz > xmlgraphics-commons-1.0-bin.tar.gz.md5
Upload the release files and the KEYS file to your "public_html" on people.apache.org and start a release vote on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the MD5 values for each file and their URLs.
Make the Artifacts Available
- Upload to people.apache.org. (An account on minotaur is needed):
- login to your account on people.apache.org
copy the binary files from public_html to /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/binaries: cp -p public_html/xmlgraphics-commons-1.4-bin.* /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/binaries/
copy the source files from public_html to /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/source: cp -p public_html/xmlgraphics-commons-1.4-src.* /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/source/
copy the KEYS file to /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/KEYS: cp -p public_html/KEYS /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/KEYS
- Check permissions: chmod 664 ... ; chgrp xmlgraphics ...
move the old binary files to /www/archive.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/binaries if they are not already there: mv /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/binaries/xmlgraphics-commons-1.3-bin.* /www/archive.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/binaries/; otherwise remove them from /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/binaries
move the old source files to /www/archive.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/source if they are not already there: mv /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/source/xmlgraphics-commons-1.3-src.* /www/archive.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/source/; otherwise remove them from /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/source
copy the new binary files to /www/archive.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/binaries: cp -p /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/binaries/xmlgraphics-commons-1.4-bin.* /www/archive.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/binaries/
copy the new source files to /www/archive.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/source: cp -p /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/source/xmlgraphics-commons-1.4-src.* /www/archive.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/source/
copy the KEYS file to /www/archive.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/KEYS: cp -p /www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/KEYS /www/archive.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/KEYS
- Make a test download.
Update HEADER.html and README.html in people.apache.org:/www/www.apache.org/dist/xmlgraphics/commons/
Make and release Maven Artifacts
Instructions on how to build the Maven artifacts for Commons, see Maven.
Merge Back the Changes in the Trunk
- Use subversion 1.5's built-in merge support. Only the version number must not be merged back (that's why it's important to commit atomic changes)
- Put the exact release date in the website sources: status.xml and xdocs/news.xml
- Publish the website
- Delete the branch.
- Wait 24 hours (for the mirrors to catch up).
Post announcements on email@example.com and other related mailing lists.
Add the release version to the XMLGraphicsCommons Bugzilla component (just ask Christian as he has Bugzilla karma to do it)