- Please trim your quotes when replying. (ie only include the relevant parts of a previous message, never someone's signature, etc etc);
- Please do not post messages whose main content is "me too" or "thanks"; if you really feel a strong urge to thank a developer send the message privately;
- Please add patches to bugzilla (or, in hopefully a week or two, to Jira) besides posting them to the list; this ensures they don't get lost;
- Writing short, concise e-mails is an art few of us have mastered well, but its usually appreciated;
- Please try to create and maintain separate threads for separate subjects.
- Please send text-only e-mails (small attachments should be okay);
- Please wrap your lines at 80 characters (or so, 72 is okay as well, just don't let them continue of the screen);
Please use the indent quote functionality (ie prefix quotes using something like '> ').
Subject lines / threading
- Please use as specific a subject line as possible. A subject of "merlin" or "cvs commit", for example, is not very clear;
Please change the e-mail subject line when the thread subject changes, and please start a new thread (in most e-mail programs, copy paste the body of the message into a newly created message), making sure to refer to the new thread in the first message in some way (usually using (was: <blah>) on the subject line);
Please prefix an e-mail subject line with [RT] if you're just philosophically babbling away, but please don't prefix an e-mail with [RT] if its about something concrete like implementation refactoring (patches get lost :D);
Please prefix message subject lines that are only about a specific product with the name of the product, ie [merlin],[fortress],[cornerstone]. Please don't for messages that are actually about multiple products;'
Please prefix message subject lines with [patch] if you're providing patch;
Please prefix message subject lines with [proposal] if you're making a concrete proposal;
Please prefix message subject lines with [vote] if you're message is a call for a vote or a response to that; please remove the [vote] and start a new thread if you're starting new discussion related to a vote;
- Please include a question mark in your message subject line if you have a concrete question.
- Please use as few cross-posts (messages sent to multiple mailing lists), and when you do, please indicate to which lists replies should be sent.