Beehive is currently considering a set of coding conventions.
The current proposal is based on the 'Java Conventions' from Sun with the following modifications:
- [2.2] use README.txt instead of README
- [3.1.1] use the ASF source header with a current copyright date
-  explicitly define indentation as 4 spaces
- [4.1] use of 120 character lines
- [6.3] allow declaration of variables before use
- [7.4] use a newline before else
- [7.9] use a newline before catch
-  allow the use of "_" as a prefix for class-level variable names
[10.5.1] Make an exception for && and || -- no parentheses required around their component expressions
- [10.5.2] Drop this requirement
- [10.5.4]use "todo" instead of "fixme"
- discontinue use of the "I" naming convention for interfaces