Beehive Metadata for Web Services
The purpose of JSR-181 "Web Services Metadata for the Java Platform" is to simplify the authoring and deployment of Java Web Services. Beehive's "Web Services Metadata for the Java Platform" subproject (WSM) provides an implementation for JSR-181 as part of Apaches Beehive open source effort.
After a quick summary of driving forces, this paper proposes requirements (based on JSR-181), phases in which they could be rolled out and a high-level overview over how the implementation could be approached. All considerations are based on JSR-175, JSR-181 and the terminology defined therein unless stated otherwise.
Feature / specification proposals should be posted here for discussion. Documents that are substantially developed will be moved into svn and made available from the project web site.
JSR-181 Project Plan (Proposal): Jsr181ProjectPlan
General Proposal: Jsr181Impl
Requirements for JSR-181 Implementation: Jsr181Requirements
Architecture for JSR-181 Implementation (Proposal): Jsr181ImplArchitecture
- Annotated Java Web Service file: Java Web Services file in the sense of JSR-181, with annotations.
- .class file: executable byte code derived from annotated Java Web Service files file through compilation.
- .jws file: Java Web Services file in the sense of the Apache Axis project, without annotations.
- Processor: the JSR-181 processor unless stated otherwise.
- Runtime: The system that executes a Java Web Service, e.g. Apache Axis on Tomcat.
- Service definition file: WSDL service description file.
- .wsdl file: synonymous for service definition file.
- WSM: the JSR-181 implementation as proposed herein.
- .xsd file: XML schema definition file; used for type and message definitions, for instance.
Issues not yet addressed in this proposal:
- Identify a minimum list of error checks to be performed by the processor
- Identify interesting target runtimes
- Technology Compatibility Kit (TCK): the final decision whether the TCK is developed as part of the Beehive project rests with the JSR-181 expert group
XMLBeans support in WSM: XmnBeansInWsm
[Apt] Sun Microsystems. Annotation Processing Tool (apt). http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/apt/index.html.
[Axis] Apache Software Foundation. Web Services Axis. http://ws.apache.org/axis/.
[JSR-101] R. Chinnici. Java APIs for XML based RPC. http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=101.
[JSR-109] J. Knutson. Implementing Enterprise Web Services. http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=109.
[JSR-175] G. Bracha. A Metadata Facility for the Java Programming Language. http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=175.
[JSR-181] M. Mihic, J. Trezzo. Web Services Metadata for the Java Platform. http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=181.