/!\ FINAL /!\

Incubator PMC report for April 2018

Timeline

Wed April 04

Podling reports due by end of day

Sun April 08

Shepherd reviews due by end of day

Sun April 08

Summary due by end of day

Tue April 10

Mentor signoff due by end of day

Wed April 11

Report submitted to Board

Wed April 18

Board meeting

Shepherd Assignments

Dave Fisher

BatchEE

Dave Fisher

Dubbo

Drew Farris

ODF Toolkit

Drew Farris

PLC4X

John Ament

Gossip

John Ament

NetBeans

Justin Mclean

ServiceComb

P. Taylor Goetz

ECharts

P. Taylor Goetz

Milagro

P. Taylor Goetz

Traffic Control

Timothy Chen

Amaterasu

Timothy Chen

Hivemall

Timothy Chen

MXNet

Dave Fisher

Airflow

[none]

Annotator

[none]

Druid

[none]

Gearpump

[none]

Gobblin

[none]

HAWQ

[none]

Livy

[none]

Nemo

[none]

Pony Mail

[none]

Quickstep

[none]

Rya

[none]

SINGA

[none]

SensSoft

[none]

Weex

Report content

Incubator PMC report for April 2018

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and codebases
wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.

There are presently 53 podlings incubating. During the month of March,
podlings executed 5 distinct releases, 6 total artifacts.  We added 2 new IPMC
members.  While no podlings are graduating this month, many are heading towards
graduation based on below reports.

* Community

  New IPMC members:

  - Jun Rao
  - Matt Sicker

  People who left the IPMC:

  - None

* New Podlings

  - None

* Podlings that failed to report, expected next month

  - Gossip - No on list activity, likely to retire.

* Graduations

  The board has motions for the following:

  - None

* Releases

  The following releases entered distribution during the month of March:

  - 2018-03-04 Apache Rya 3.2.12
  - 2018-03-05 Apache Pulsar 1.22.0
  - 2018-03-09 Apache SensSoft Useralejs 1.0.0
  - 2018-03-17 Apache HAWQ 2.3.0.0
  - 2018-03-27 Apache ServiceComb Service Center 1.0.0-m1
  - 2018-03-27 Apache ServiceComb Saga 0.1.0

* Infrastructure

  - An issue came up recently between the ECharts podling and Infrastructure
    that was communicated privately to mentors - not posted to any list.  In
    future, such problems should at least be reported to the private@incubator
    list to ensure they are archived.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Table of Contents
Airflow
Amaterasu
Annotator
BatchEE
Druid
Dubbo
ECharts
Gearpump
Gobblin
HAWQ
Hivemall
Livy
Milagro
MXNet
Nemo
NetBeans
ODF Toolkit
PLC4X
Pony Mail
Quickstep
Rya
SensSoft
ServiceComb
SINGA
Traffic Control
Weex

----------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------- 

Airflow

Airflow is a workflow automation and scheduling system that can be used to
author and manage data pipelines.

Airflow has been incubating since 2016-03-31.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Once we make a release with the licensing fix we will move forward with
  graduation.
  2.
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?
None


How has the community developed since the last report?
1. Since our last podling report 1.5 months ago (i.e. between Feb 8 & March
   28, inclusive), we grew our contributors from 375 to 427
2. Since our last podling report 1.5 months ago (i.e. between Feb 8 & March
   28, inclusive), we resolved 152 pull requests (currently at 2280 closed
   PRs)
3. Since being accepted into the incubator, the number of companies officially
   using Apache Airflow has risen from 30 to 149, 17 new from the last podling
   report 1.5 months ago.


How has the project developed since the last report?
  See above : 152 PRs resolved, 52 new contributors, & 17 new companies
  officially using it.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [x] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-01-02

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2017-11-30 joygao a.k.a Joy Gao (committer/PMC)

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](airflow) Chris Nauroth Comments:
  [x](airflow) Hitesh Shah Comments:
  [x](airflow) Jakob Homan Comments: Ready for graduation


IPMC/Shepherd notes:
I checked into the licensing issue and it is resolved, but it seems that a
release will be needed before graduation. Dave Fisher

-------------------- 

Amaterasu

Apache Amaterasu is a framework providing configuration management and
deployment for Big Data Pipelines.

It provides the following capabilities:

Continuous integration tools to package pipelines and run tests. A repository
to store those packaged applications: the applications repository. A
repository to store the pipelines, and engine configuration (for instance, the
location of the Spark master, etc.): per environment - the configuration
repository. A dashboard to monitor the pipelines. A DSL and integration hooks
allowing third parties to easily integrate.

Amaterasu has been incubating since 2017-09.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

1. Prepare the first release
2. Grow up user and contributor communities
3. Prepare documentation

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

* One conference talks are scheduled in the near future (Voxxed Days
  Melbourne)

How has the project developed since the last report?

* since the last report 12 PRs were opened and 11 are merged
* One additional contributor started contributing to the code base
* One organization we are aware of have started a POC with Amaterasu
* We are in the process of automating the release process as preparation for
  the first release in the incubator.

Date of last release:

N/A

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

N/A

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?



Signed-off-by:

  [X](amaterasu) Jean-Baptiste Onofré Comments: Clearly we need to move
   forward on the community grow up and first release.
  [X](amaterasu) Olivier Lamy Comments:
  [X](amaterasu) Davor Bonaci Comments: low activity, improvements needed to
   get back on track.

-------------------- 

Annotator

Annotator provides annotation enabling code for browsers, servers, and humans.

Annotator has been incubating since 2016-08-30.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Establishing a release cadence.
  2. Demonstrating utility in the wild.
  3. Increasing community participation.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

None at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Two members of the initial committers list have established ASF accounts.
  * The community is scheduling a teleconference for the coming weeks.
  * The community is discussing a face-to-face meeting in the coming months.
  * Several community members have expressed interest in helping with code and
    non-code contributions.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Licensing documentation has been updated in preparation for release.
  * Initial test suite automation has been completed.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [-] Working towards first release
  [-] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

The initial setup feels complete now. There is work toward a first releases
happening. The community is slowly attracting new voices, but volume of
participation is still low.

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Initial committers having completed setup, the project now has enough
participants to perform elections. At this time, no elections have been
finalized.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](annotator) Nick Kew Comments:
  [ ](annotator) Brian McCallister Comments:
  [ ](annotator) Daniel Gruno Comments:
  [X](annotator) Jim Jagielski Comments: As noted, progress is somewhat slow,
   but not to point of any concern at this stage.

-------------------- 

BatchEE

BatchEE projects aims to provide a JBatch implementation (aka JSR352) and a
set of useful extensions for this specification.

BatchEE has been incubating since 2013-10-03.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

None

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

No

How has the community developed since the last report?

Community is stable. We still get feedback and have active people around.

How has the project developed since the last report?

We got some enironment related enhancements/bugfixes.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-12-01 batchee-0.5-incubating

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2015-12-01 Reinhard Sandtner



Signed-off-by:

  [ ](batchee) Jean-Baptiste Onofré Comments:
  [ ](batchee) Olivier Lamy Comments:
  [X](batchee) Mark Struberg Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
It is time for this podling to graduate. I really think that they should take
the time and JFDI. Dave Fisher.


-------------------- 

Druid

Druid is a high-performance, column-oriented, distributed data store.

Druid has been incubating since 2018-02-28.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Complete SGA for current sources and ICLAs for current committers.
 2. Move the source code and website to Apache infrastructure.
 3. Plan and execute our first Apache release.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

- None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

- We have moved development discussions to our Apache dev mailing list.
- A healthy, constant flow of bug fixes, quality improvements and new features
  are still ongoing on https://github.com/druid-io/druid.

How has the project developed since the last report?

- Since the last report there have been 36 commits from 18 individuals.
- We have released Druid 0.12.0 (outside the Incubator). We are optimistic
  that our next release will be done as an Apache release.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

- Druid 0.12.0 on 2018-03-06 (non-Apache release)
- No official release yet since beginning Apache Incubation

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

- Project is still functioning with the initial set of committers.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](druid) Julian Hyde Comments: The project still has good momentum getting
   through the initial tasks, and development/community activities continue at
   usual pace.
  [x](druid) P. Taylor Goetz Comments: Project seems to be progressing nicely.
  [ ](druid) Jun Rao Comments:

-------------------- 

Dubbo

Dubbo is a high-performance, lightweight, java based RPC framework.

Dubbo has been incubating since 2018-02-16.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. First ASF release
  2. Migrate remaining assets to the ASF
  3. Community building

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

 * Complete ICLA for all PPMC
 * SGA has been filed
 * The community has decided to use Github issue instead of JIRA
 * Discussed feature donation by external users. e.g. circuit breaker, xmlrpc
 * Received 1 GSoc student application (Raghu on Protocol Buffer integration)
 * Currently ~450 mails on the dev@ list
 * 9 new companies reported their using of Dubbo since last report

How has the project developed since the last report?

 * Dubbo 2.6.1 & Dubbo 2.5.10 released (prior to code transition, non-ASF
   release)
 * Move 7 repos (including the core Dubbo repo) to Apache
 * Website (dubbo.incubator.apache.org) has been enabled
 * Website has been updated to be complied with ASF branding policy
 * 37 pull request created, 21 of them are closed
 * 80 Github issues created, 22 of them are closed

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

N/A

Signed-off-by:

  [X](dubbo) Justin Mclean Comments:
  [X](dubbo) John D. Ament Comments: Podling is moving forward very well.  An
   on list discussion about splitting up the dev list into multiple lists has
   started.
  [ ](dubbo) Jean-Frederic Clere Comments:
  [ ](dubbo) Mark Thomas Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
An excellent start. Dave Fisher


-------------------- 

ECharts

ECharts is a charting and data visualization library written in JavaScript.

ECharts has been incubating since 2018-01-18.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Get repo moved to https://github.com/apache/incubator-echarts.
  2. Get GitHub ID linked and 2FA enabled.
  3. First pushed to https://github.com/apache/incubator-echarts.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

Currently the setting page of GitHub is not visible to us. There may be a
problem when we need to configure it (e.g.: see if anything goes wrong when
building gh-pages branch) but communication is delayed via email. So we'd like
to ask if it is possible for at least one of us core committers to have the
admin right.

How has the community developed since the last report?

We released the information that ECharts has become a repo of Apache, and
received positive feedback from the community.

How has the project developed since the last report?

None.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

N/A


Signed-off-by:

  [X](echarts) John D. Ament Comments: Lots of development activities picking
   up.  Need to encourage more on list discussion.  Its often hard to sift
   through the developer list due to gitbox notifications.
  [ ](echarts) Daniel Gruno Comments:
  [ ](echarts) Kevin A. McGrail Comments:
  [X](echarts) Dave Fisher Comments: They are really just getting started now
   that the repos is transferred. The mentors are going to need to educate the
   podling more, but they have found infra users ML and have asked about how
   to split up the email flows. One thing I have noticed about GitBox projects
   is that it is harder to understand what is happening in those notifications
   vs. JIRAs. (That's just an observation, not sure of the Way yet.

-------------------- 

Gearpump

  Gearpump is a reactive real-time streaming engine based on the micro-service
  Actor model. Gearpump has been incubating since 2016-03-08.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Have frequent release cycles.
 2. Continue to evolve community interest and support.
 3. Increase user adoption.


- Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
  of?
 None.


- How has the community developed since the last report?
 Gearpump took part in Google Summer of Code 2017 project and it has been
 succeffully accompolished by student, Buddhi Ayesha, who is interested in
 making more contributions beyond the project.

- How has the project developed since the last report?
 32 issues created and 20 issues resolved. Gearpump Runner has been merged
 into Apache Beam trunk. An experimental SQL support has been added and state
 management is under development.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:
 2017-07-17

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
 No new committers or PMC members elected yet.

Signed-off-by:

 [X](gearpump) Jean-Baptiste Onofré Comments:
 [ ](gearpump) Andrew Purtell Comments:
 [ ](gearpump) Jarek Jarcec Cecho Comments:
 [ ](gearpump) Reynold Xin Comments:
 [ ](gearpump) Todd Lipcon Comments:
 [ ](gearpump) Xuefu Zhang Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  johndament: Report not discussed on list, responded to an email from Sept
  2017 to indicate it was posted by a mentor.  Lots of development activity,
  not much developer discussion.  Seems like they have an unused user list as
  well.

-------------------- 

Gobblin

Gobblin is a distributed data integration framework that simplifies common
aspects of big data integration such as data ingestion, replication,
organization and lifecycle management for both streaming and batch data
ecosystems.

Gobblin has been incubating since 2017-02-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Make frequent releases

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

* Gobblin community has continued to grow and engage more (on mailing lists
  and Gitter IRC).
* 51% of commits have been from non-committer contributors.
* Email stats since last report:
  user@gobblin.incubator.apache.org : 47 dev@gobblin.incubator.apache.org :
  694
* There have been 121 Commits since last report:
    git log --format='%ci' | grep -cE '(2018-0(1|2|3|4))'
* 62 ie. 51% of those commits were by non-committers:
   git log --format='%ae %ci' | grep -E '(2018-0(1|2|3|4))' | cut -d ' ' -f 1
   | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
* Recurring video conference based meetup has been happening every month with
  healthy attendance.
* Gobblin was presented and well received in various meetups / conferences
  around the world (independently by Apache community members) eg. Strata etc.

How has the project developed since the last report?

* Various new connectors for integration with more systems, and several
  enhancements / feature development.
* Continued development of Gobblin-as-a-Service (PaaS for Gobblin as well as
  non-Gobblin systems). More engagement of community on this front.
* Enhancements to website, and packaging / distribution of Gobblin.
* Release v0.12.0 is being voted on right now.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  v0.12.0 is being voted on right now.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Joel Baranick in December, 2017.
  (A few more contributors in the community are ready to be elected.)

Signed-off-by:

  [X](gobblin) Jean-Baptiste Onofré Comments:
  [X](gobblin) Olivier Lamy Comments:
  [X](gobblin) Jim Jagielski Comments: release process being better defined
   the 0.12 RC efforts. NOTICE requirements better understood.

-------------------- 

HAWQ

HAWQ is an advanced enterprise SQL on Hadoop analytic engine built around a
robust and high-performance massively-parallel processing (MPP) SQL engine
evolved from Greenplum Database.

HAWQ has been incubating since 2015-09-04.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Continue to improve the project's release cadence. To this end we plan on
  expanding automation services to support increased developer participation.
  (HAWQ-127)


Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

     Nothing urgent at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

1. Conference Talks :

 * HAWQ on Microsoft Azure Cloud. Microsoft Incubator Talk (Speaker: Lei
   Chang, Mar 21, 2018)


2. Two committer candidates passed the voting process:

   1) Shubham SHARMA 2) Lav JAIN


How has the project developed since the last report?


1. HAWQ 2.3 released. It includes the following features.

  1) New Feature: HAWQ Core supports plugable external storage framework. 2)
  New Feature: HAWQ Ranger supports RPS HA. 3) New Feature: HAWQ Ranger
  supports Kerberos authentication. 4) New Feature: HAWQ Core supports HDFS
  TDE (Transparent Data Encryption) through libHdfs3. 5) Licenses: Fix PXF
  license files located in PXF jar files. 6) Licenses: Check Apache HAWQ
  mandatory libraries to match LC20, LC30 license criteria. 7) Build: Release
  build project 8) Bug fixes.

Project page link:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HAWQ/Apache+HAWQ+2.3.0.0-incubating+Release

2. HAWQ 2.4 release plan was proposed.

  1) New Feature: Pluggable Vectorized Execution Engine on HAWQ. 2) New
  Feature: Support Runtime Filter for HAWQ local hash join. 3) New Feature:
  Support accessing Hive table data by the new Pluggable Storage Framework. 4)
  Bug fixes.

Project page link:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HAWQ/Apache+HAWQ+2.4.0.0-incubating+Release


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

2018-03-12, Apache HAWQ 2.3.0.0

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

   1) Lav Jain: April 5, 2018 2) Shubham Sharma: April 5, 2018


Signed-off-by:

  [X](hawq) Alan Gates Comments:
  [ ](hawq) Justin Erenkrantz Comments:
  [ ](hawq) Thejas Nair Comments:
  [X](hawq) Roman Shaposhnik Comments:

-------------------- 

Hivemall

Hivemall is a library for machine learning implemented as Hive
UDFs/UDAFs/UDTFs.

Hivemall has been incubating since 2016-09-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Create the first Apache release
 2. Community growth (committers and users)
 3. Documentation improvements

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

 * Markus Weimer resigned from our Project mentor as he sent a message to IPMC
   private list on March 1.
 * We need to recruit active Mentor(s)
    - Failed March2018 podling report due to missing mentor sign-off

How has the community developed since the last report?

 * Github watchers/stars are gradually increasing:
    131 stars as of April 3 (was 108 on Dec 6)
 * Twitter account @ApacheHivemall followers are gradually increasing:
    123 followers as of April 3 (was 101 on Dec 6)

How has the project developed since the last report?

 * Released the first Apache release (v0.5.0) on March 5.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/18e6355   dd06ff065004516eec6ff861777b4ad526714b61667b4904b@%3Cannounce.apache.org%3E

 Since the last report, we have
   * In the last 4 months, we opened 22 JIRA issues and closed 15 JIRA issues
     as seen in https://goo.gl/QFQEF5 (as of April 3) Created   Resolved Dec  
     2017    3           7 Jan   2018    4           3 Feb   2018    5        
     1 March 2018    10          4
   * Created 14 Pull Requests and closed/merged 13 Pull Requests between Dec
     01 and April 01.
https://github.com/apa     che/incubator-hivemall/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20created%3A2017-12-01..2018-04-01
https://github.com/ap     ache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20closed%3A2017-12-01..2018-04-01

How would you assess the podling's maturity? Please feel free to add your own
commentary.

 [ ] Initial setup
 [x] Working towards first release
 [x] Community building
 [ ] Nearing graduation
 [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  March 5, 2018.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 - Elected Jerome Banks as a committer on April 2.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/98b28689dcf   fbf3a51a1ff80d9c86be96b46bbb3829bda334a722d89@%3Cdev.hivemall.apache.org%3E

Signed-off-by:

 [ ](hivemall) Reynold Xin Comments:
 [ ](hivemall) Xiangrui Meng Comments:
 [X](hivemall) Daniel Dai Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  johndament: The comments with the new committer election are interesting. 
  Don't forget to go through IP Clearance if you are importing an external
  code base.

-------------------- 

Livy

Livy is web service that exposes a REST interface for managing long running
Apache Spark contexts in your cluster. With Livy, new applications can be
built on top of Apache Spark that require fine grained interaction with many
Spark contexts.

Livy has been incubating since 2017-06-05.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the community and continue to involve more users and contributors
  2. Grow more committers to maintain the project
  3. Solidify our release cadence

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

N/A

How has the community developed since the last report?

Activity on the dev and user mailing lists as well as the rate of reported
JIRA issues has stayed steady.

How has the project developed since the last report?

The master branch has been updated to support Spark 2.3 in our next release.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-02-05

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2017-09-18

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](livy) Bikas Saha Comments:
  [ ](livy) Brock Noland Comments:
  [x](livy) Luciano Resende Comments:
  [X](livy) Jean-Baptiste Onofre Comments:

------------------- 

Milagro

Distributed Cryptography; M-Pin protocol for Identity and Trust

Milagro has been incubating since 2015-12-21.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Sort out infrastructure issues
  2. Enable NTT to handle operational tasks and project management
  3. Build the community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

There is an ongoing vote for retirement of the Project, votes so far are 6
against and 1 neutral. There is an expressed concern that the development of
the project is happening away from the Apache. This was addressed by the main
contributors (MIRACL and NTT), they pointed out the reason for that were
infrastrucure and procedural issues. They will update the Apache repos and
keep the development there once those issues are resolved.

How has the community developed since the last report?

There were no new commiters added to the project since the last report.

How has the project developed since the last report?

There is an ongoing discussion around dealing with infrastructure issues
obstructing the project development. NTT suggested that they take responsibity
for operational tasks and management of the project.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  n/a

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  n/a

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](milagro) Sterling Hughes Comments:

  [ ](milagro) Jan Willem Janssen Comments:

  [X](milagro) Nick Kew Comments: Retirement vote got a crop of NOs, though
   some of those may have misunderstood its purpose.  I'm proposing those who
   support continuation make concrete progress in time to report (on time) in
   May.  Failing that, I will support retirement.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  johndament: In order to survive, the podling needs to move development
  activities to Apache.  Continuing to develop under Miracl's repositories
  means it is not an Apache project.

-------------------- 

MXNet

A Flexible and Efficient Library for Deep Learning

MXNet has been incubating since 2017-01-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

1. Establish a predictable release process consistent with Apache Way --
   ONGOING.
2. Grow the community -- ONGOING.
3. Bring website up to Apache standard -- ONGOING
4. Identify remaining ICLAs or SGAs that need signing -- ONGOING

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

 None

How has the community developed since the last report?

a) Various Slack channels, dev@ mailing lists, and user discussion forums
(http://discuss.mxnet.io) are being used actively. The contributors have been
working on having all discussions on the public dev@ mailing list as much as
possible. This is an ongoing improvement process where the focus will be to
reduce the scope of private discussions to only a few individuals before it is
put on the public dev@ mailing list so that the Apache MXNet community gets a
fair chance in influencing the final outcome/decision of the discussion.

 b) O'Reilly published a series of blogs about MXNet:
https://www.oreilly.com/ideas/anomaly-detection-with-apache-mxnet
https://www.oreilly.com/ideas/logo-detection-using-apache-mxnet
https://www.oreilly.com/ideas/generative-model-using-apache-mxnet
https://www.oreilly.com/ideas/build-a-recurrent-neural-network-using-apache-mxnet

c) A new blog post published on 5-Feb about MXNet Model Server for Apache
MXNet introduces ONNX support and Amazon CloudWatch integration
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/machine-learning/model-server-for-apache-mxnet-introduces-onnx-support-and-amazon-cloudwatch-integration/

d) A new blog post published on 13-Mar about MXNet - Deploy Gluon Models to
AWS DeepLens using a simple Python API
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/machine-learning/deploy-gluon-models-to-aws-deeplens-using-a-simple-python-api/

e) Borealis AI (AI lab of Royal Bank of Canada) published a new blog post on
Feb about the comparison between PyTorch and MXNet – Standardizing a machine
learning framework for applied research – PyTorch vs MXNet
http://www.borealisai.com/2018/02/16/standardizing-a-machine-learning-framework-for-applied-research/

f) Microsoft AI research published a new blog post on Mar about the
performance comparison between multiple frameworks including MXNet – Comparing
deep learning frameworks: A Rosetta stone approach
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/machinelearning/2018/03/14/comparing-deep-learning-frameworks-a-rosetta-stone-approach/

g) Beeva Labs published a new blog post on Feb about MXNet – Accelerating the
training of deep neural networks with MXNet on AWS P3 instances
https://www.bbva.com/en/accelerate-training-deep-neural-networks-mxnet-aws-p3-instances/

h) Webinars and talks on Apache MXNet on the social media platform:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSNvm29kIAo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kINQpQiee7g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgCbjtsAAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjDTL_Kjfww

i) Thomas Delteil spoke at Meetup in Vancouver -
https://www.meetup.com/LearnDataScience/events/248473200/?rv=ea1&_xtd=gatlbWFpbF9jbGlja9oAJDA0ODlhZGJjLWQ0YzYtNDJmOC04MDFiLTZiMWU1OWEwOWEwYw
- and talked about Convolutional Neural Networks for NLP

j) A public meeting is planned for April 24th in Seattle -
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Seattle

k) MXNet 1.2 release is in preparation and release notes are being reviewed at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/%5BWIP%5D+Apache+MXNet+%28incubating%29+1.2.0+Release+Notes

l) Community voted and adopted Jira for issue management -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MXNET/issues/MXNET-267?filter=allopenissues

m) Established MXNet youtube channel -
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQua2ZAkbr_Shsgfk1LCy6A. Please subscribe!

n) MXNet 1.1 was released on 19-Feb, 2018 with extensive support and help from
various community members and timely guidance from the Apache MXNet Mentors.

How has the project developed since the last report?

a. The community released MXNet 1.1 that makes MXNet more stable and
production ready: https://blogs.apache.org/mxnet/entry/1-1-0-release-makes

b. From a statistics perspective, based on the Github insights, found here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pulse/monthly, in Mar 2018, 60
authors pushed 164 commits to master, with updates to 624 files including
23.1K additions and 5.6K deletions. Historically, in Dec 2017, 51 authors
pushed 115 commits to master, with updates to 489 files including 13K
additions and 9K deletions. Historically, in Sep 2017, 62 authors pushed 171
commits to master, with updates to 467 files including 26K additions and 7K
deletions. We are working on finding more contributors to the project.

c. Documentation- Architecture guides, How To's, Tutorials, and APIs continue
to be improved.

d. More advanced features (e.g. ONNX support, mixed precission modeling, Scala
inference API, MKL-DNN integratino etc) and bug-fixes requested by the user
community continue to be added.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

 Podling is still being established in Apache - hence maturity == Low.


 [ ] Initial setup
 [ ] Working towards first release
 [X] Community building
 [ ] Nearing graduation
 [ ] Other

Date of last release: (latest to oldest releases) A major release Apache
MXNet-incubating 1.1.0 was released on 19-Feb, 2018.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases/tag/1.1.0

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Jan 18 2018 - Jun Wu and Marco de Abreu elected as committer and PPMC member



Signed-off-by:

  [X](mxnet) Sebastian Schelter Comments:
  [ ](mxnet) Suneel Marthi Comments:
  [X](mxnet) Henri Yandell Comments: I have noted on list that the comment on
   reducing private conversation needs to go much further. The sentiment in
   item (a) does not reach Apache's minimum bar and 'fair chance' is
   insulting.
  [ ](mxnet) Markus Weimer Comments:

-------------------- 

Nemo

Nemo is a data processing system to flexibly control the runtime behaviors of
a job to adapt to varying deployment characteristics.

Nemo has been incubating since 2018-02-04.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the community
  2. Create a first Apache release
  3. Donate code to ASF

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Committers actively involved in mailing lists
  * Committers actively started to send PRs and do code reviews
  * Two committers volunteered for GSoC mentors

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * SonarCloud integrated
  * Community standards and documentation added
  * Scheduler improved by adding a new scheduling policy and making it
    reactive
  * Operator pipelining implemented
  * Experiments performed to demonstrate the benefits of Nemo
  * Blogs posted

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  None yet.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  None yet.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](nemo) Davor Bonaci Comments: The project is very active, moving quickly,
   and doing very well.
  [X](nemo) Hyunsik Choi Comments:
  [X](nemo) Byung-Gon Chun Comments:
  [X](nemo) Jean-Baptiste Onofre Comments:
  [ ](nemo) Markus Weimer Comments:
  [ ](nemo) Reynold Xin Comments:

-------------------- 

NetBeans

NetBeans is a development environment, tooling platform and application
framework.

NetBeans has been incubating since 2016-10-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Granting and integration of 2nd donation (mainly Java EE, JavaScript,
  PHP, Groovy) -- is being wrapped up at Oracle.
  2. Granting and integration of 3rd donation, consisting of tutorials,
  related images, and other documentation for populating netbeans.apache.org.
  3. Rerouting/switching from netbeans.org to netbeans.apache.org, plus new
  home for plugins.netbeans.org.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

 - NetCAT (NetBeans Community Acceptance Testing) program has started up,
   preparatory to final release of 9.0.
 - Apache virtual VM has been set up (netbeans-vm.apache.org) and one tool,
   used for NetCAT, is already there: http://netbeans-vm.apache.org/synergy
 - New Apache NetBeans logo has been voted on and accepted.
 - Ongoing discussions re redesign of splash screen.
 - Apache NetBeans Day as a class of event has been approved by Apache
   trademarks: https://netbeans.apache.org/community/events.html
 - First official Apache NetBeans Day accepted via lazy consensus to be held
   April 27, in London, at the University of Greenwich:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/328f564ac75   3165b39e7d96e67c929f7996a935ef75437c6c8e239fc@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E
 - Currently 557 on Apache NetBeans users mailing list and 406 on Apache
   NetBeans dev mailing list.

How has the project developed since the last report?

 - Apache NetBeans (incubating) 9.0 Beta has been released (02/22/18)
 - Support for running on JDK 8, 9, 10 added, with Java editor support for new
   JDK 10 'var' type (JEP 286: Local-Variable Type Inference).
 - netbeans.apache.org is up and running.
 - Legal issue settled: Apache does not require and does not consider helpful
   list of 3rd party deps in grant:
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-374

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-02-22 Apache NetBeans (incubating) 9.0 Beta

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

   * PPMC member Antonio Vieiro elected on Feb 18, 2018
   * PPMC member John McDonnell elected on Feb 18, 2018

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](netbeans) Ate Douma Comments:
  [ ](netbeans) Bertrand Delacretaz Comments:
  [ ](netbeans) Daniel Gruno Comments:
  [X](netbeans) Mark Struberg Comments: There is really lots of activity in
   the project

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  johndament: Great progress by the podling.

-------------------- 

ODF Toolkit

Java modules that allow programmatic creation, scanning and manipulation of
OpenDocument Format (ISO/IEC 26300 == ODF) documents

ODF Toolkit has been incubating since 2011-08-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Fulfil the 1.0 version - (collaboration scheduled for the end of March)
  2. Attract more developers
  3. Have frequent releases

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?
        Several bug reports but no new committers.

How has the project developed since the last report?
    Svante Schubert sponsorship by German government's prototypefund.org is
    about to end, the new collaboration feature for the ODF Toolkit not yet on
    GitHub.


Date of the last release:

  2017-04-10

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  2017-08-02

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](odftoolkit) Nick Burch Comments:
  [ ](odftoolkit) Yegor Kozlov Comments:
  [X](odftoolkit) Tom Barber Comments:
       Slow going as ever, but I can't fault the effort put in by Svante. I
       also have some interns hopefully looking at the website migration from
       CMS in the near future.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  Drew Farris (shepherd): Little overall project activity, but questions are
  being answered on the user list. One mentor active on the mailing lists

-------------------- 

PLC4X

PLC4X is a set of libraries for communicating with industrial programmable
logic controllers (PLCs) using a variety of protocols but with a shared API.

Most important issues to address while moving towards graduation:

Building the community: The PPMC and committer group has a large percentage of
codecentric employees, we have been recruiting people from other companies,
but will have to continue these efforts for establishing a healthy Apache
community. Onboarding of new committers: With PLC4X several people on the team
are not very familiar with the Apache Way. We have started and will continue
our efforts on this onboarding. Make our first release

Any Issues the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of:

In contrast to previous reports some of the concerns regarding availability
and usability of specifications have been resolved. Especially for using the
Modbus and the OPC-UA specifications Christofer was able to get official
permissions from the corresponding foundations to use the specifications.
These permission Emails have been filed in the private list for documentation.

One of the external foundations (Profinet) doesn’t have a free membership. In
general, the CEO of the European branch of the Profinet Foundation has
signaled that it should be possible for the ASF to become a member and have an
outside company pay the membership fees, but we have to discuss the details
(With them as well as the ASF).

How has the community developed since the last report?

Christofer has invested most of his time in March spreading the word about
PLC4X. A first POC has been created for a company which is currently going
into production An article about Apache Edgent and Apache PLC4X has been
published as a cover-story in the German JavaSPEKTRUM magazines Industrial IoT
special edition (https://www.sigs-datacom.de/digital/javaspektrum/). One PLC4X
talk has been accepted to the Apache EU Roadshow 2018 in Berlin and one will
be at the Silpion Techcamp in Hamburg (https://techcamp.hamburg/) in the first
April week.

The dev-list subscriptions has gone up by one from February, we are hoping to
increase the number in the next few weeks (However quite some emails come in
from un-registered users that have to pass moderation).

We now have a Twitter account: https://twitter.com/ApachePlc4x as another
channel of communicating interesting PLC4X facts.

How has the project developed since the last report?

We have been working hard on making better use of the ASF build
infrastructure. Especially regarding setting up our project VM at
plc4x-vm.apache.org this effort will be continued. After receiving the
permission to use and implement the Modbus protocol, the Driver skeletons have
been setup, but no real implementation of the protocol itself has been done
yet. We are still hoping for volunteers to step up as interest in implementing
the Modbus protocol has been explicitly mentioned by community memebers. The
work on the RawSocket Netty transport which is a requirement to implement
protocols that are IP based, but are not TCP or UDP has continued and we are
currently working on some of the quirks on Linux based operating-systems. We
added Netty support for IO over serial ports and will be using this in the
Beckhoff module as a first protocol. We are still working on the S7 Protocol
fragmentation and hope to be able to finish this in April. Also we discussed
on the list about how the others would think of initiating a first release of
PLC4X.

How does the podling rate their own maturity?

We have a mix of new participants and experienced Apache people involved. So
far, the new participants have shown great willingness and success in adopting
the Apache Way. However, we still need to continue:
the on-boarding increasing the diversity of the team Also, will we need to
decide and establish all the processes involved in releasing software at
Apache



Signed-off-by:

  [X](plc4x) Greg Trasuk Comments:
  [X](plc4x) Justin Mclean Comments:
  [x](plc4x) Luciano Resende Comments:
  [X](plc4x) Stefan Bodewig Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  Drew Farris (shepherd): Three mentors active on the mailing list. Active
  project.

-------------------- 

Pony Mail

Pony Mail is a mail-archiving, archive viewing, and interaction service, that
can be integrated with many email platforms.

Pony Mail has been incubating since 2016-05-27.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow participation in community
  2. Get releases out properly
  3. Evangelize

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

None that I can think of.

How has the community developed since the last report?

There has been external interest in the project, however this has not yet
formed into a formal relationship.

How has the project developed since the last report?

A release, 0.10, was voted on and approved. Due to time constraints, the
release has not been fully completed yet.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-04-04-ish (WIP!)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Sebastian Bazley, April 2017

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](ponymail) Andrew Bayer Comments:
  [X](ponymail) John D. Ament Comments: Report not discussed on list,
   extremely low volume and continues to look like a one person project.

-------------------- 

Quickstep

Quickstep is a high-performance database engine.

Quickstep has been incubating since 2016-03-29.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Adoption of the Quickstep technology.
  2. Grow the Quickstep developer community.
  3. Work towards a second release.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

A paper that describes the Quickstep system was accepted in a premier database
conference Very Large Databases (VLDB). Link to the paper:
http://www.vldb.org/pvldb/vol11/p663-patel.pdf This paper should help the
system and the community to increase its reach further. We are already getting
emails from readers who are finding interest in the system. We are encouraging
the readers to be a part of the community.

We have submitted a keynote proposal ApacheCon. If accepted, the
paper/presentation would help to increase the awareness of Quickstep project
in the Apache community.


How has the project developed since the last report?

We have continued development of the code base. Apart from the routine bug
fixes, there are ongoing efforts for three main development directions
(respective JIRA issues have been opened):
1. Enhancing the type system used by Quickstep
2. Supporting concurrent queries in the system
3. Developing a distributed version of Quickstep

We are planning another release before summer.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-03-25

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2017-10-03 Robert Claus (committer)

We have seen contributions from some new members (Yuanchen Li, Dylan Bacon and
Yusong Yang). We will soon initiate the process for them to be committers.


Signed-off-by:

  [x](quickstep) Julian Hyde Comments: Development remains fairly active but
   the podling's ability to build community outside its core community is a
   major concern.
  [X](quickstep) Roman Shaposhnik Comments: big +1 to Julian's comment above.
   This is shaping up to be a vibrant, but a pretty small community. Another
   concern is cadence of releases. A year between releases in a podling is
   concerning.

-------------------- 

Rya

Rya (pronounced "ree-uh" /rēə/) is a cloud-based RDF triple store that
supports SPARQL queries. Rya is a scalable RDF data management system built on
top of Accumulo. Rya uses novel storage methods, indexing schemes, and query
processing techniques that scale to billions of triples across multiple nodes.
Rya provides fast and easy access to the data through SPARQL, a conventional
query mechanism for RDF data.

Rya has been incubating since 2015-09-18.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Increase diversity of committers

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

No

How has the community developed since the last report?

 * Apache Rya 3.2.12 (incubating) released
 * More people expressed interest in contributing to Rya
 * More discussions about graduation

How has the project developed since the last report?
 * Apache Rya 3.2.12 (incubating) released
 * Improved documentation for deploying Rya PCJ Updater
 * Created a Rya Shell for MongoDB
 * Integrated RyaStreams with the Rya Shell
 * Added PCJ indexer support for MongoDB backend
 * Implemented a forward-chaining rules engine that runs as a batch process,
   operates on user-defined SPIN rules, and inserts derived information back
   in Rya
 * Added the ability to use the MongoDB aggregation pipeline to evaluate
   simple SPARQL expressions for MongoDB backend
 * Implemented single node Kafka streams incremental SPARQL processor
 * Plans to improve the SPARQL endpoint to improve standards compliance

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [x] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

   2018-03-04

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 * PPMC member Caleb Meier elected on Jan 3rd, 2017

Signed-off-by:

  [x](rya) Josh Elser Comments: More heavy-handed-ly encouraging the podling
   to graduate
  [ ](rya) Edward J. Yoon Comments:
  [ ](rya) Venkatesh Seetharam Comments:
  [x](rya) Billie Rinaldi Comments:

-------------------- 

SensSoft

SensSoft is a software tool usability testing platform

SensSoft has been incubating since 2016-07-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Extending release process to other parts of the SensSoft software stack.
  2. Grow the Apache SensSoft (Incubating) community.
  3. Complete the issues highlighted at the SensSoft Roadmap
  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENSSOFT/Roadmap

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  No

How has the community developed since the last report?

  The community successfully delivered the first Incubating release for
  UserALE.js. No new community members have come onboard. Several members of
  the community VOTE'd on the UserALE.js 1.0.0 release candidate.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Development continues at a sustainable level.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-03-14

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Arthi Vezhavendan was added to PPMC and Committer base on 2017-01-24

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](senssoft) Paul Ramirez Comments:
  [X](senssoft) Lewis John McGibbney Comments:
  [ ](senssoft) Chris Mattmann Comments:

--------------------

ServiceComb

ServiceComb is a microservice framework that provides a set of tools and
components to make development and deployment of cloud applications easier.

ServiceComb has been incubating since 2017-11-22.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Community building
  2. Project visibility
  3. Create release

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  NONE

How has the community developed since the last report?
  * The community finally get the first release out, service-center 1.0.0-m1,
    java-chassis 1.0.0-m1 and saga 0.1.0
  * The community hold a meetup in Beijing at March 30.

How has the project developed since the last report(March 2018)?
  * Java Chassis merged with 54 PRs by 10 contributors.
  * Service Center merged with 21 PRs by 5 contributors .
  * Saga resolved merged with 24 PRs by 7 contributors.
  * 117 mails sent by 27 people on the dev@ list

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [*] Initial setup
  [*] Working towards first release
  [*] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-04-03 Java Chassis 1.0.0-m1 2018-03-26 Service Center 1.0.0-m1
  2018-03-26 Saga 0.1.0

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  2018-03-14 Added ningjiang,liubao,wujimin,asifdxtreme,littlecui as the
  Initial PPMC member


Signed-off-by:

  [X](servicecomb) Roman Shaposhnik Comments:
  [X](servicecomb) Jean-Baptiste Onofre Comments:
  [X](servicecomb) Timothy Chen Comments:

-------------------- SINGA

SINGA is a distributed deep learning platform.

SINGA has been incubating since 2015-03-17.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Finish the existing jira tickets, including autograd (SINGA-342), tensor
  improvement (SINGA-341), backend for Keras (SINGA-340), ONNX (SINGA-333))
  2.
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

We are working on the next release with the autograd feature. Another release
is scheduled with improved tensor and Keras backend.


How has the community developed since the last report?

There are 3 new contributors joined.


How has the project developed since the last report?

We fixed some bugs, updated the documentation and are now working on some
major/big updates (new features) including the new front-end APIs and the
autograd feature.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-06-29

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2017-09-01

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](singa) Daniel Dai Comments:
  [X](singa) Alan Gates Comments: I don't see finishing the existing JIRA
   tickets as the key to graduation.  This podling has added new committers
   and done releases, but they continue to move at a very slow pace.  I am
   concerned about them having enough engagement to have 3 PMC members
   available to vote.  Seeing more consistent engagement is to me the criteria
   for graduation.
  [ ](singa) Ted Dunning Comments:
  [ ](singa) Thejas Nair Comments:

-------------------- Traffic Control

Traffic Control is a set of components that can be used to build, monitor,
configure, and provision a large scale content delivery network (CDN).

Traffic Control has been incubating since 2016-07-12.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

1. A successful graduation vote by project community
2. A successful graduation vote by the IPMC
3. A successful acceptance of our graduation resolution by the apache board

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report (January 2018)?

Since January the Traffic Control community has worked on the following:
* Getting Traffic Control 2.1 released
* Getting Traffic Control 2.2 ready for release candidates
* Supporting new users with installing and configuring traffic control
* Tie up loose ends and prepare ourselves for graduation
* Planning a spring summit to be held April 2018 in Boston, MA

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Since the last report (January 2018), we have

  * Merged 199 Pull Requests with 673 commits from 27 unique contributors
  * Opened 217 Github issues
  * Closed 214 Github issues
  * 301 emails sent by 46 people on the dev@ list
  * 26 emails sent by 10 people on the users@ list

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

We have started the graduation process!  We voted on starting the graduation
process, chose a project chair, and have started the Project vote on the
graduation resolution.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release (wip)
  [ ] Community building (wip)
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  Traffic Control 2.1 was released on January 22, 2017.

  Traffic Control 2.2 is currently on RC 3 and we hope to have 2.2 released by
  the end of April, 2018.


When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

In October, Traffic Control added 1 new committer: Nir Sopher.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](trafficcontrol) Phil Sorber Comments: I think this project is in good
   shape, hopefully we see a graduation resolution in the IPMC for it soon.
  [X](trafficcontrol) Eric Covener Comments:
  [X](trafficcontrol) Leif Hedstrom Comments:


-------------------- Weex

Weex is a framework for building Mobile cross-platform high performance UI.

Weex has been incubating since 2016-11-30.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Develop more non-Chinese contributors and committers, to bring diversity
  to the community.
  2. Replace Facebook's Yoga(Category X) dependency and release more while in
  Incubator.
  3. Improve the developer's activity in mailing list.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

The community is still learning the Apache Way,  we are making progress and
need more guidance from Mentors. The project has an ongoing problem with lack
of mentor engagement.


How has the community developed since the last report?

* WeexConf 2018 was held in Hangzhou, which brought a lot of new users and
  contributors who is intrested in the project, and Weex meetup in other
  cities will come soon.
* 278(91 new issues since the last report) issues have been reported on JIRA,
  and 145(52 since the last report) of them are resolved or closed.
* More non-Chinese developers are using Weex and contributing to the
  community, including developers from India, Russia, Singapore, etc. The
  first non-Chinese committer will come out soon.
* Our Github repo has growth in contributors 145(10 new since the last
  report), forks 1168(192 new), watchers 451(74 new) and stars 8730(1622 new)
* WebSite Trends Month Active, PV(542124), UV(91873), IP(76598), New Unique
  Visitor(47883) , Session(168065)

How has the project developed since the last report?

* Excluding merges, 11 authors have pushed 16 commits to master and 14 commits
  to all branches.
* Replacing Facebook's Yoga is done and will be released next month.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-06-08

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  None.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](weex) Luke Han Comments:
  [X](weex) Willem Jiang Comments: The development looks good, but it is not
   normal that we don't have any release for 9 months.
  [ ](weex) Stephan Ewen Comments:
  [ ](weex) Raphael Bircher Comments:

April2018 (last edited 2018-04-13 12:50:59 by johndament)