August 2007 Board reports (see ReportingSchedule)
These reports are due to the Incubator PMC by 8 August 2007
AltRMI was retired in January.
Date of entry: May 2006
Abdera is an implementation of the Atom feed format and publishing protocol.
Code wise there has been a bunch of work done to update the publishing protocol implementation to match the latest versions of the internet draft (which will become the RFC). The code is currently being prepared for a new release.
On the community side we added a new committer (Brian Moseley) who has been using Abdera's server side code in the Cosmo project and has contributed back various improvements. We continue to see a steady stream of questions about the project, which implies that it is being used.
The only remaining goal to be reached before graduation is diversity related, while we do have more than the minimum number of committers from separate companies there remains some concern about the fact that many of them are not overly active.
ServiceMix 3.1.1 has been released on 04/Jul/07, and we are planning a 3.1.2 after graduation has completed.
Thomas Termin and Gert Vanthienen has joined the PPMC.
Tuscany provides infrastructure for developing service-oriented applications based on Service Component Architecture (SCA) specification and Service Data Objects (SDO) specifications. These specifications were submitted to OASIS in March 2007 by OSOA (www.osoa.org), and OASIS have now issued a "Call for Participation" for the technical committees to advance the specifications.
Incubating since: 2006-11-30
- Start openly discussing what needs to be done to graduate
- Tuscany PPMC formally announced
- Voted Andy Grove and Fuhwei Lwo as a new committer
- Integration with Apache Projects started or ongoing
- Working with Apache ODE to provide BPEL integration
- Working with Apache Geronimo to provide Tuscany hosting. A simple scenario is now working.
- Working with Apache Directory to provide DAS LDAP (patch with initial implementation ready)
Working with Apache ServiceMix and Apache Synapse on design of integrating SCA
- Apache Lab project called Fluid extends Java Persistence Architecture (JPA) for SDO and prototyped integration with DAS.
- Good community involvement. Users are providing patches and helping to answer questions.
- Continuing to enhance Tuscany website to improve information sharing. Provided quick get started document and extended user documentation.
- Provided nightly builds and downloads through Continuum.
Releases since last report:
- Released Java SCA 0.90 and Java SCA 0.91, with another SCA release this month under discussion on the ML
- Improved usability, created stable extension SPIs and changed architecture to be modularized for easy integration,
- Java SDO 1.0 release is currently going through vote process, following the 1.0-incubating-beta1 release in May
- This release compeletes SDO 2.1 spec implementation, improved samples and includes contributions from SDO users. Thanks!
- Java DAS beta1 releases is currently going through vote process
Description - XAP is a client side declarative Ajax framework for building and deploying rich internet applications
Date of entry - June, 2006
The top three items to resolve in last report have seen very good progress:
- Dojo 0.9 migration - XAP is currently using Dojo 0.4 as the default Ajax toolkit. Dojo 0.9 is a complete rewriet of Dojo. Though it is not compatible with Dojo 0.4, Dojo 0.9 seems to have fixed many problems of Dojo and is likely to become a solid foundation for future Ajax development. XAP developers are investigating whether/when/how to migrate to Dojo 0.9.
- Release - XAP has made one release within the community so far (XAP 0.3 release on March 2007);
- Growth of community - XAP community is growing, we see more and more contributions in many forms from people other than the initial committers: feedback on the mailing lists, documentation and code patches... The commuity has voted to add a new committer.
- Contributions from various non-committers continued in areas such as bug reports, code patches, and discussions;
- Vote of a new committer passed
Coach Wei gave a talk on Apache XAP and Declarative Ajax at AjaxWorld Conference in march 2007 at NYC;
- We have reviewed the web site tracking and added mechanism to collect XAP download statistics.
jQuery integration is done. XAP customers can leverage jQuery as well - plugin available both from jQuery website and XAP website(http://jquery.com/plugins/project/xModify).
- Web site has been updated