Differences between revisions 85 and 86
Revision 85 as of 2016-12-12 20:23:12
Size: 53010
Editor: MichaelStack
Comment: SIgnoff on Trafodion
Revision 86 as of 2016-12-13 07:37:07
Size: 53010
Comment:
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 691: Line 691:
  [ ](mnemonic) Henry Saputra   [X](mnemonic) Henry Saputra

Incubator PMC report for December 2016

Timeline

Wed December 07

Podling reports due by end of day

Sun December 11

Shepherd reviews due by end of day

Sun December 11

Summary due by end of day

Tue December 13

Mentor signoff due by end of day

Wed December 14

Report submitted to Board

Wed December 21

Board meeting

Shepherd Assignments

Drew Farris

Annotator

Drew Farris

Tephra

John Ament

Ranger

John Ament

SAMOA

Justin Mclean

MRQL

P. Taylor Goetz

Myriad

P. Taylor Goetz

Quickstep

P. Taylor Goetz

Taverna

Timothy Chen

Singa

Timothy Chen

Spot

Timothy Chen

log4cxx2

[none]

AriaTosca

[none]

Atlas

[none]

Gearpump

[none]

HTrace

[none]

Hivemall

[none]

Mnemonic

[none]

NetBeans

[none]

Omid

[none]

OpenWhisk

[none]

Pirk

[none]

Pony Mail

[none]

Streams

[none]

Trafodion

[none]

Wave

Report content

Incubator PMC report for December 2016

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and
codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.

There are currently 65 podlings incubating, another record high.  
There were seven releases published in the month of November.  
There were seven new IPMC members elected and one member who left.

* Community

  New IPMC members:

  - Kasper Sørensen
  - Willem Ning Jiang
  - Luke Han
  - Par Niclas Hedhman
  - Jukka Zitting
  - Stian Soiland-Reyes
  - Kasper Sørensen

  People who left the IPMC:

  - Sean Busbey

* New Podlings

  - RocketMQ
  - OpenWhisk
  - Weex

* Graduations

  The board has motions for the following:

  - Beam

  The following have already graduated into sub-projects:

  - CommonsRDF -> Apache Commons RDF

* Releases

  The following releases entered distribution during the month of
  November:

  - Apache Ranger     0.6.2-incubating  2016-11-08
  - Apache Streams    0.4-incubating    2016-11-10
  - Apache SystemML   0.11.0-incubating 2016-11-12
  - Apache CommonsRDF 0.3.0-incubating  2016-11-15
  - Apache CarbonData 0.2.0-incubating  2016-11-19
  - Apache Metron     0.3.0-incubating  2016-11-28
  - Apache Gearpump   0.8.2-incubating  2016-11-28

* IP Clearance

  - None

* Legal / Trademarks

  - None

* Infrastructure

  - None

* Miscellaneous

  - Work has begun on updating Apache Incubator documentation to better align
    with current infrastructure requirements and provide better guidelines to
    new podlings on how to get setup.

* Credits

  - Report Manager: John D. Ament

-------------------- Summary of podling reports --------------------

* Still getting started at the Incubator

  - Annotator
  - AriaTosca
  - NetBeans
  - OpenWhisk
  - Spot

* Not yet ready to graduate

  No release:

  - MRQL
  - Myriad
  - Pirk
  - SAMOA
  - Trafodion
  - Wave

  Community growth:

  - Atlas
  - Gearpump
  - Hivemall
  - HTrace
  - Mnemonic
  - Pony Mail
  - Quickstep
  - Singa
  - Tephra

* Ready to graduate

  - Ranger
  - Streams
  - Taverna

  The Board has motions for the following:

  - Beam

* In trouble, further actions required

  - log4cxx2
  - Omid

----------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Table of Contents
Annotator
AriaTosca
Atlas
Gearpump
Hivemall
HTrace
log4cxx2
Mnemonic
MRQL
Myriad
NetBeans
Omid
OpenWhisk
Pirk
Pony Mail
Quickstep
Ranger
SAMOA
Singa
Spot
Streams
Taverna
Tephra
Trafodion
Wave

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
Annotator

Annotator provides annotation enabling code for browsers, servers, and
humans.

Annotator has been incubating since 2016-08-30.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Achieving active development cadence
  2. Attracting new contributors
  3. Establishing presence (web, repo, activity)

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  Beginning work within the ASF has been slow (and rather confusing). Mailing
  list activity has improved, but still low volume. Development priorities
  are still being discussed. We do now have repositories for code and the
  website, but are blocked by needing access to them--the request as been
  made to the general@incubator list. However, we have successfully gotten
  Jira and Confluence setup for the project and have a promotional web page
  ready and waiting once access has been granted. Making the incubation
  process clearer (and ideally more automated) would have saved a lot of time
  and confusion.  That said, our Champion (Daniel Gruno), has been most
  helpful in helping us navigate.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Discussions have begun on development priorities. Infrastructure helped us
  resolve some outstanding project setup needs (Jira, Confluence, and git for
  the web site and code). Once the site is online, we intend to promote the
  community more and make concrete plans out of the proposals made on the
  mailing list so far.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Same as above. Mostly discussion and infrastructure/access setup--some
  still in progress.

Date of last release:

  None.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  None since start of incubation.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](annotator) Nick Kew
  [ ](annotator) Brian McCallister
  [ ](annotator) Daniel Gruno
  [ ](annotator) Jim Jagielski

Shepherd/Mentor notes:

Drew Farris (shepherd): One mentor active on mailing lists and another's assistance is 
  referenced in the board report. Annotator is still getting off the ground. Observed 
  recent mailing list activity seeking to set a path forward for the project.

--------------------
AriaTosca

ARIA TOSCA project offers an easily consumable Software Development Kit(SDK)
and a Command Line Interface(CLI) to implement TOSCA(Topology and
Orchestration Specification of Cloud Applications) based solutions.
 
AriaTosca has been incubating since 2016-08-27. 
 
Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
 
  1. Grow the community and enroll new committers.
  2. Have frequent Release cycles to be compliant with the Apache Way.
  3. Publish "How To Contribute" guide at ARIA-TOSCA Website.
  4. Update ARIA website acording to ASF guideline(Include release process
     for ARIA-TOSCA Project)
 
Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  There's an INFRA jira we created over a month ago which has yet to be
  addressed - please see here INFRA-12733 - Ability to create a Sprint Board
  for AriaTosca WAITING FOR USER

  It is not entirely critical for the project's progress, but it could be
  helpful if we indeed get a sprint board and the other things requested in
  that issue.

  Update: the ticket is now in progress.
 
How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Open-O is in process for consuming the ARIA ASF package
  * Cloudfiy is in process for consuming the ARIA ASF package as well. 
  * Need to work on building the community and accepting external
    contributions.
 
How has the project developed since the last report?

  * TOSCA parser migrated into ASF
  * CI on Appveyor, Jenkins
  * Sphinx documentation added to the project
  * CLIs of workflow engine and parser coalesced
  * TOSCA CSAR packager added
  * APIs for workflows, operations
  * Workflow engine task retry support
  * Workflow engine execution cancel support

Date of last release:

  No Releases yet
 
When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
 
  Project is still functioning with the initial set of committers.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](ariatosca) Suneel Marthi
  [ ](ariatosca) John D. Ament
  [ ](ariatosca) Jakob Homan

Shepherd/Mentor notes:

  John D. Ament:
  
    The podling is still getting its feet wet.  Discussions are starting to
    happen on the mailing lists rather than in physical offices which is good
    and will help to bring about a more diverse community.  I would also
    strongly encourage the podling to work with their mentors to get infra
    changes in to avoid confusion.

--------------------
Atlas

Apache Atlas is a scalable and extensible set of core foundational governance
services that enables enterprises to effectively and efficiently meet their
compliance requirements within Hadoop and allows integration with the
complete enterprise data ecosystem.

Atlas has been incubating since 2015-05-05.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Podling name search is pending.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  No specific issues at this time to report.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. We have added 3 new committers since the last report from different
     organizations.  About 10 new contributors have been added since the last
     report. The current number of contributors is around 70.
  2. The activity on the atlas-dev mailing list stands at around 610 messages
     per month between September and November [1]
  3. People across various organizations are interested in exploring Atlas.
     We have received comments and suggestions from people who are evaluating
     Atlas for their governance requirements [5]

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. We are working towards a 0.8-incubating release in the next couple of
     months.  This upcoming release would include major features like
     structured high level REST APIs, entity creation/updation from Atlas
     UI,DSL Search improvements, Atlas Hook support for Hive2, Knox SSO
     support for Atlas, addition of user defined and system attributes to
     entities

  2. An abstraction layer has been added to make Atlas agnostic to the
     underlying graph database version

  3. A total of 186 issues were reported between Sep 1st 2016 and Nov 30th
     2016.  122 issues have been resolved in the same time [2][3]

Date of last release:

  2016-07-09: 07-incubating [4]

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  1. The PPMC voted and elected 3 new members as committers to the project on
     2016-10-20: Madhan Neethiraj, Jeffrey Hagelberg and Vimal Sharma.

Links

  [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-atlas-dev/

  [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ATLAS-1341?jql=project%20%3D%20ATLAS%20AND%20created%20%3E%3D%20%272016-09-01%27%20and%20created%20%3C%3D%20%272016-11-30%27

  [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ATLAS-1335?jql=project%20%3D%20ATLAS%20AND%20resolved%20%3E%3D%20%272016-09-01%27%20and%20resolved%20%3C%3D%20%272016-11-30%27

  [4] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201607.mbox/%3CCAAbv78fuzCv51E4Pn8fg7nwkJyOUQo9z2WNhsiz2EstbTvj1Gw@mail.gmail.com%3E

  [5] http://www.ibmbigdatahub.com/blog/case-open-metadata

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](atlas) Arun Murthy
  [ ](atlas) Chris Douglas
  [ ](atlas) Jakob Homan
  [ ](atlas) Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------

Gearpump

Gearpump is a reactive real-time streaming engine based on the
micro-serviceActor model.
Gearpump has been incubating since 2016-03-08.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

1. Make initial Apache branded release and release on a regular schedule.
2. Continue to evolve community interest and support.
3. Integrate within Apache Beam and akka-streams frameworks.

- Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to beaware
of?
- None


- How has the community developed since the last report?
- Increased community contribution on integration with Apache Cassandra.

- How has the project developed since the last report?
- Two Apache source releases and one binary release
- Added Window DSL and Triggers.
- Continued integration within Apache Beam (Gearpump Runner).
Codes have been merged to runner-gearpump branch on Beam and Beam
capabilities are being built into Gearpump.
- Continued integration within akka-streams (Gearpump Materializer).
4 PRs have been committed to akka and an akka-stream feature branch has
been created on Gearpump.
- 75 issues created and 55 resolved
- Manu presented Gearpump at Strata Beijing 2016
- Kam presented Gearpump Materializer at Reactive Summit 2016
- Huafeng and Karol co-presented Gearpump at ApacheCon Big Data Europe 2016

Date of last release:
2016-11-30


When were the last committers or PMC members elected? No new committers or
PMC members elected yet.

Signed-off-by:

[ ](gearpump) Andrew Purtell
[ ](gearpump) Jarek Jarcec Cecho
[ ](gearpump) Reynold Xin
[ ](gearpump) Todd Lipcon
[ ](gearpump) Xuefu Zhang
[X](gearpump) Jean-Baptiste Onofré

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Hivemall

Hivemall is a library for machine learning implemented as Hive
UDFs/UDAFs/UDTFs.

Hivemall has been incubating since 2016-09-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Create the first Apache release
  2. Community growth (committers and users)
  3. Migrate the development community from Github to ASF infra

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  * All SGAs and I-CLA has been submitted and recorded
  * Daniel Dai is elected as a new Mentor on Nov 22
    https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/48a61eb44188d3f204e7c41ff7c102128e9325eed029ab41a23ff3a9@%3Cdev.hivemall.apache.org%3E

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Presented a talk in Cloudera World Tokyo on Nov 8.
  * Created Twitter Account: @ApacheHivemall

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Collected and submitted all SGAs and I-CLA required for IP clearance
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVEMALL-9
  * Finished updating License headers and NOTICE
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVEMALL-12
  * Finished the initial code dump on Dec 1 and the development moved to ASF
    infra
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVEMALL-6
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall
  * Created 5 JIRA Issues and resolved 4 issues in the last 30 days
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVEMALL/

Date of last release:

  No release yet (planning the first Apache release in Q1, 2017)
  
When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  * Daniel Dai (Mentor) on Nov 22

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](hivemall) Reynold Xin
  [ ](hivemall) Markus Weimer
  [ ](hivemall) Xiangrui Meng
  [ ](hivemall) Daniel Dai

Shepherd/Mentor notes:


--------------------
HTrace

HTrace is a tracing framework intended for use with distributed systems
written in java.

HTrace has been incubating since 2014-11-11.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Continue to grow the Apache HTrace community
  2. Continue to explore projects integrating Apache HTrace
  3. Continue to develop and release stable Apache HTrace incubating
     artifacts

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Mailing lists have been quiet. Little activity during this period.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Released htrace-4.2.0 and added a new committer.

Date of last release:

  htrace-4.2.0 October 6th, 2016

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  +Mike Drob (mdrob) October 3rd, 2016 - Committer+PMC Member

Signed-off-by:

  [x](htrace) Jake Farrell
  [ ](htrace) Todd Lipcon
  [ ](htrace) Lewis John Mcgibbney
  [ ](htrace) Andrew Purtell
  [x](htrace) Billie Rinaldi
  [x](htrace) Michael Stack

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
log4cxx2

Logging for C++. N.B. This is a reboot of the Log4cxx podling which
previously graduated.

log4cxx2 has been incubating since 2013-12-09.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Create a release
  2. Activate some community
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  There was a discussion in the first quarter of the year to move the
  project to attic unless it is able to release in the next few months. No
  release happened since then.
  
  Currently it seems that there's only one official project member with
  commit access left and even though some contributor worked on fixing the
  release process, that project member was unable to invest the necessary
  time to create a release yet.
  
  For that reason, the left member decided to not even care anymore about a
  release and published this decision on the dev mailing list of the project.
  While the member is still willing to provide some support and would regret
  a move of the project to attic, creating a release has no priority nor is
  seen as strictly necessary and will therefore most likely always prioritize
  lower than other tasks.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  3 support questions, no new project members. There was a lengthy discussion
  about switching to C++ standard smart pointers with possibly breaking the
  API, the influence of such an approach on a release etc. Some bugs have
  been created to coordinate that work.

  Robert Middleton started to move the project to smart pointers using boost
  or std::shared_ptr in a private GitHub repo. He's actually changing more
  code than the one left official project member.
  
  https://github.com/rm5248/log4cxx-testing/tree/smart_pointers

Date of last release:

  2008-04-03 was the last official, pre-incubation 0.10.0

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?



Signed-off-by:

  [X](log4cxx2) Ralph Goers

Shepherd/Mentor notes:

  Ralph Goers: 
  
    The Log4j PMC will need to have a discussion about the state of this
    project. Since Log4cxx2 was always intended to be a subproject of the
    Logging project moving it to the attic may or may not be the right move.
    Instead, it might just become a "dormant" subproject.

--------------------
Mnemonic

Apache Mnemonic is an advanced hybrid memory storage oriented library, we've
proposed a non-volatile/durable Java object model and durable computing
service that bring several advantages to significantly improve the
performance of massive real-time data processing/analytics. developers are
able to use this library to design their cache-less, SerDe-less and
native-direct computing high performance applications.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Apache releases: we have release version 0.3.0-incubating
  2. Improved dev. docker to facilitate development.
  3. provided information to potential customers e.g. bank user, other
     project's Apache committers

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  No.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Our last report was in April. Since then

  * Two more developers are going to join our community.
  * We need to encourage more discussion on the dev list in the coming months

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Added durable native sorting service (n-dim linked data) with testcases
  * Removed the 3rd Maven repository and use Maven central repository only
  * DOM and DNCS could apply to volatile memory service except fixed k-v
    store
  * Added a bench workload to verify the benefits from DNCS with scripts,
    generator
  * Added a sys-vmem service that makes it possible to utilize system memory
    for DNCS in an unified way
  * Added a script to bundle signed portable artifacts for maven repository
    submitting
  * and other bugfixes, features, improvements

Date of last release:

  2016-10-21

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  None

Signed-off-by:

  [X](mnemonic) Patrick Hunt
  [ ](mnemonic) Andrew Purtell
  [ ](mnemonic) James Taylor
  [X](mnemonic) Henry Saputra

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
MRQL

MRQL is a query processing and optimization system for large-scale,
distributed data analysis, built on top of Apache Hadoop, Hama, Spark, and
Flink.

MRQL has been incubating since 2013-03-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Increase the number of active committers
  2. Increase adoption, expand user community, and increase user list
     activity

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  There was one new developer who developed the new evaluation mode for MRQL
  that runs on top of Apache Storm. There were no new committers since our
  last report.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  A new evaluation mode for MRQL queries was developed based on Apache Storm
  (using the Trident API). MRQL can now process stream queries on a single
  stream using Storm, but will be soon be extended to support multiple
  streams.

Date of last release:

  2016-03-02

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  2014-04-17

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](mrql) Alan Cabrera
  [ ](mrql) Edward J. Yoon
  [ ](mrql) Mohammad Nour El-Din

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Myriad

Myriad enables co-existence of Apache Hadoop YARN and Apache Mesos together
on the same cluster and allows dynamic resource allocations across both
Hadoop and other applications running on the same physical data center
infrastructure.

Myriad has been incubating since 2015-03-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Expand user/contributor/committer community
  2. Gather more support from Hadoop and Mesos vendors
  3. Release new versions (0.3 in progress), with more enterprise features

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * dev@ mailing list had 73 messages since the last report. 2 new
    correspondents.
  * Bi-weekly dev syncs with 2-3 participants. Some cancelled due to lack of
    attendance. Minutes at http://s.apache.org/8kF
  * Myriad presented at HadoopWorld/Strata NYC.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Myriad 0.3.0 in progress.
  * 1 commit/PR merged and 2 JIRAs resolved.
  * Myriad submitted to DC/OS Universe:
    https://github.com/mesosphere/universe/pull/841

Date of last release:

  2016-06-20 myriad-0.2.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  2016-06-16 Yuliya Feldman

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](myriad) Benjamin Hindman
  [ ](myriad) Danese Cooper
  [ ](myriad) Ted Dunning
  [ ](myriad) Luciano Resende

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
NetBeans

NetBeans is a development environment, tooling platform and application
framework.

NetBeans has been incubating since 2016-10-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Licensing, i.e., identifying and solving GPL-related code.
  2. Coming up with a process of contributing code that makes sense to
     everyone.
  3. Working on roadmaps, features, and plans together as a community.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Discussed CCLA/SGA on the dev mailing list.

  Discussed existing mailing lists migration plan to Apache:
  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Mailing+lists+migration

How has the project developed since the last report?

  CCLA and SGA still in the process of being approved and signed by Oracle,
  which will also apply the copyright headers as instructed on the dev
  mailing list.

  Started initial code cleanup analysis
  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Overview%3A+NetBeans+Structure

  Oracle has already agreed to relicense the Graal.js parser under the
  Apache license.  Resolved in LEGAL-279 the nb-javac dependency license.

  Almost finished new static website for Apache NetBeans.

  Experimented Mercurial to Git repository migration with a focus on
  repository size. Solution found, size not an issue anymore.

Date of last release:

  No releases yet.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  No one has been elected so far.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](netbeans) Ate Douma
  [ ](netbeans) Bertrand Delacretaz
  [X](netbeans) Emmanuel Lecharny
  [ ](netbeans) Daniel Gruno
  [ ](netbeans) Jim Jagielski
  [ ](netbeans) Mark Struberg

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Omid

Omid is a flexible, reliable, high performant and scalable ACID transactional
framework that allows client applications to execute transactions on top of
MVCC key/value-based NoSQL datastores (currently Apache HBase) providing
Snapshot Isolation guarantees on the accessed data.

Omid has been incubating since 2016-03-28.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Boost project dissemination in the Apache community.
  2. Collaborate/integrate Omid with other Apache projects.
  3. Get positive feedback from other projects currently integrating/using
     Omid.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  N/A

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Initiated contact with Apache Phoenix community to integrate Omid.
  Blog entries published in Yahoo Engineering and Hadoop blogs.
  Article about Apache Omid incubation published in Datanami.
  Talk proposal on Omid sent to DataWorks Summit EU 2017
  Quarter Stats (from: 2016-09-01 to: 2016-11-30):
    +---------------------------------------------+
    |   Metric                          | counts  |
    +---------------------------------------------+
    | # of msgs in dev list             |   20    |
    | Active Contributors (incl mentors)|    6    |
    | Jira New Issues                   |    2    |
    | Resolved Issues                   |    1    |
    | Pull Requests merged              |    0    |
    | Pull Requests proposed            |    0    |
    +---------------------------------------------+

How has the project developed since the last report?

  In the process of completing its second release under in the Apache incubator.

Date of last release:

  2016-06-24

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  At incubation acceptance (2016-03-28)

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](omid) Alan Gates
  [ ](omid) Lars Hofhansl
  [x](omid) Flavio P. Junqueira
  [ ](omid) Thejas Nair
  [ ](omid) James Taylor

Shepherd/Mentor notes:

  Alan Gates:
  
    I'm concerned about this podling.  The last commit was on August 15.
    Discounting broadcast and reminders, there have been no emails on the dev
    list since October, and there were only 3 that month.  I've sent email on
    the dev list asking if people are still actively involved.

  Flavio Junqueira:
    I second Alan's concern, there has been very little activity in the last
    period for this podling.

--------------------
OpenWhisk

OpenWhisk is an open source, distributed Serverless computing platform able
to execute application logic (Actions) in response to events (Triggers) from
external sources (Feeds) or HTTP requests governed by conditional logic
(Rules). It provides a programming environment supported by a REST API-based
Command Line Interface (CLI) along with tooling to support packaging and
catalog services. 

OpenWhisk has been incubating since 2016-11-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. The project just entered the Incubator and infrastructure is in progress
     to be setup.
  2.
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  -

How has the community developed since the last report?

  -

How has the project developed since the last report?

  -

Date of last release:

  None yet.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  -

Signed-off-by:

  [X](openwhisk) Felix Meschberger
  [ ](openwhisk) Isabel Drost-Fromm
  [X](openwhisk) Sergio Fernández

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Pirk

Pirk is a framework for scalable Private Information Retrieval (PIR).

Pirk has been incubating since 2016-06-17. The initial code for Pirk was
granted on 2016-07-11.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the community to establish diversity of background and expertise.
  2. Establish a formal release process and schedule, allowing for dependable
     release cycles in a manner consistent with the Apache development
     process.
  3. Add to and improve the Pirk user documentation and examples both on the
     website and in the codebase

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  We have attracted a couple of new contributors since the last report. The
  mailing list activity, pull requests, and page views to the Apache Pirk
  website (via Google Analytics) have also increased since the last report.
  An 'Introducing Pirk' talk was presented at ApacheCon Europe on November
  15, 2016.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  The project is in the process of completing its second release,
  0.2.0-incubating. The project has also undertaken a refactor of some of the
  packages and drivers and added additional user/developer documentation on
  the website.

Date of last release:

  August 29, 2016

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  Pirk elected two new committers (Tim Ellison and Suneel Marthi, both
  mentors) on August 18, 2016.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](pirk) Billie Rinaldi
  [x](pirk) Joe Witt
  [x](pirk) Josh Elser
  [X](pirk) Suneel Marthi
  [ ](pirk) Tim Ellison

Shepherd/Mentor notes:

  Josh Elser:
  
    Dev traffic appears to have slowed down a little in the past month, but
    nothing really to be concerned about yet, IMO.

--------------------
Pony Mail

Pony Mail is a mail-archiving, archive viewing, and interaction service, that
can be integrated with many email platforms.

Pony Mail has been incubating since 2016-05-27.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the community
  2. Grow awareness of the project
  3. Master releases and project management

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None that we know of.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  One new committer (Sebastian Bazley) was invited to the project.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Email traffic has been roughly the same, 75-ish mails per month to the
  lists.  Quite a few bugs have been worked on.

Date of last release:

  2016-08-02

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  - Sebastian Bazley was elected committer on October 9th, 2016.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](ponymail) Andrew Bayer
  [X](ponymail) John D. Ament

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Quickstep

Quickstep is a high-performance database engine.

Quickstep has been incubating since 2016-03-29.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Make the first release of the system.
  2. Write blogs/papers on the release.
  3. Help foster a user community to try out the project.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  The developer community is actively working on having more discussions on
  line both on code and larger project related work. In other words,
  embracing the Apache way both mechanistically and philosophically.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  The code continues to make progress and is close to the point where a
  release can be created. 

Date of last release:

  None so far. 

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  Tarun Bansal was elected as a committer on Oct 27, 2016. 

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](quickstep) Konstantin Boudnik
  [x](quickstep) Julian Hyde
  [x](quickstep) Roman Shaposhnik

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Ranger
 
The Ranger project is a framework to enable, monitor and manage comprehensive
data security across the Hadoop platform.
 
Ranger has been incubating since 2014-07-24.
 
Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
 
  1. Working with Mentors on all action/preparation for Graduation
  2. Re-organize documentation for easier access to end-users, new users and
     contributors.
  3. Expanding user/dev community
 
Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?
 
  None
 
How has the community developed since the last report?
 
  1. Mailing list activity since last report (September-01-2016 to
     November-30-2016):
            @dev              648
            @user              96
            @commit           140
 
  2. Issues (JIRAs) created/resolved since last report (after
     September-01-2016 before November-30-2016):
            Created:         71
            Resolved:        48
 
  3. Adding more community members to involve in Apache Ranger
 
How has the project developed since the last report?
 
  1. Released one minor release:
     0.6.2 released on 11/08/2016
 
  2. Members have been working on a next major release of 0.7.0
     a. Working on the roadmap features to be delivered soon.
 
  3. Members are actively involved in Graduation process in the dev community
     * "Graduation Maturity Assessment" is being discussed in the community
     * Elected VP/PMC Chair for Ranger:  Selvamohan Neethiraj
 
Date of last release:
 
  November-08-2016
 
When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
 
  1. Velmurugan Periasamy has been added as PMC member on September-05-2016
 
Signed-off-by:
 
  [X](ranger) Alan Gates
  [ ](ranger) Daniel Gruno
  [ ](ranger) Devaraj Das
  [ ](ranger) Jakob Homan
  [ ](ranger) Owen O'Malley
 
Shepherd/Mentor notes:

  Alan Gates:
  
    The community is actively working on graduating.  They have been
    discussing a draft proposal on the dev list and are working out a few
    final details before taking it to the Incubator PMC.  Based on their self
    assessment against the maturity model, community growth, and several
    Apache releases I believe they are ready to graduate.
 
--------------------
SAMOA

SAMOA provides a collection of distributed streaming algorithms for the most
common data mining and machine learning tasks such as classification,
clustering, and regression, as well as programming abstractions to develop
new algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines
(DSPEs).  It features a pluggable architecture that allows it to run on
several DSPEs such as Apache Flink, Apache Storm, Apache Apex and Apache
Samza.

SAMOA has been incubating since 2014-12-15.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the developer base
  2. Grow the user base
  3. Add some more ML techniques

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Mailing list activity (September 2016 - November 2016):
  * @dev: 87 messages

  Jira issues backlog (September 2016 - November 2016):
  * Created:  0
  * Resolved: 1

  - We manage to resolve the pending issue regarding the integration of
    Apache Apex with Samoa.
  - Also, we made some testing progress with Apache Gearpump.
  - We also had a presentation of Apache Samoa and its integration with
    Apache Apex in Apache BigData Europe 2016
  - We also published a scientific paper using Apache Samoa and one of its
    machine learning techniques (Vertical Hoeffding Tree) (to be presented in
    IEEE BigData Conference in December 2016)

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - We have performed a new release with several bug fixes and new features
    (0.4.0)
  - We are looking into new ML techniques for development.

Date of last release:

  2016-09-30

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  None

Signed-off-by:

  [X](samoa) Alan Gates
  [ ](samoa) Ashutosh Chauhan
  [ ](samoa) Enis Soztutar
  [ ](samoa) Ted Dunning

Shepherd/Mentor notes:

  Alan Gates:

    Very low activity on this project over the last few months, with last
    commit showing as Sept 22 and very few commits since last March.  A big
    need here beyond activity is to grow the community.  There is a one
    individual who made several contributions last spring; I sent an email to
    the mailing list asking if it made sense to invite him to become a
    committer.

--------------------
Singa

Singa is a distributed deep learning platform.

Singa has been incubating since 2015-03-17.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Add more documentations and tutorials, to make the installation and use
     of SINGA easier. We have done some work as described below in the answer
     of 'how has the project developed since the last report'.
  2. Grow the community. We added one more committer after the last report
     and are getting more user feedbacks. We want to further grow the
     community and to graduate in early 2017.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  No

How has the community developed since the last report?

  There were 68, 125 and 61 emails from dev@ list in September 2016, October
  2016 and November 2016 respectively.

  There are 100 more commits since the last report.

  One new committer was added into SINGA committer list.  

How has the project developed since the last report?

  We released the v1.0 shortly after the last report, which include major
  changes in terms of the programming model and other aspects:

    + Tensor abstraction for supporting more machine learning models.
    + Device abstraction for running on different hardware devices, including
      CPU, (Nvidia/AMD) GPU and FPGA (to be tested in later versions).
    + Replace GNU autotool with cmake for compilation.
    + Support Mac OS.
    + Improve Python binding, including installation and programming
    + More deep learning models, including VGG and ResNet
    + Replace website building tool from maven to Sphinx and updated the
      documentations.
    + Integrate Travis-CI

  We also added python notebooks and windows support, and are working on the
  model zoo, python whl files and Docker images to make it easier for users
  to get started with SINGA.

  We are focusing on our niches, including distributed training at the system
  level and health-care models at the application level.

Date of last release:

  2016-09-09

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  2016-10-21

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](singa) Daniel Dai
  [X](singa) Alan Gates
  [ ](singa) Ted Dunning
  [ ](singa) Thejas Nair

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Spot

Apache Spot is a solution stack that provides the capability to ingest network related telemetry (network flows, domain name service information and proxy server logs) and provide unsupervised machine learning capabilities to identify suspicious activity.  The information is organized and presented using operational analytics so that a security analyst can investigate the most suspicious connections. Apache Spot is built on an open data model using Apache Spark and Apache Hadoop.


Spot has been incubating since 2016-09-23.


Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:


  1.  Move infrastructure and development to ASF (code, issues, mailing list, ...)
  2.  Build diverse community
  3.  Demonstrate ability to create releases


Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?
Please elaborate on the process for code scanning and IP reviews.


How has the community developed since the last report?
Community interaction has ramped velocity, as new adopters of the project have been posting questions through Twitter and Slack. We have added approximately 20% to our Slack channel and added several contributors through the ICLA.


How has the project developed since the last report?
We have moved our repo to ASF as of December 8, 2016.
We have removed our LDA-C dependencies by switching to Spark LDA, eliminating licensing issues on this particular branch.


Date of last release:
N/A


When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
N/A


Signed-off-by:


 [ ](spot) Jarek Jarcec Cecho
 [ ](spot) Brock Noland
 [ ](spot) Andrei Savu
 [ ](spot) Uma Maheswara Rao G

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Streams

Apache Streams (incubating) unifies a diverse world of digital profiles and
online activities into common formats and vocabularies, and makes these
datasets accessible across a variety of databases, devices, and platforms for
streaming, browsing, search, sharing, and analytics use-cases.

Streams has been incubating since 2012-11-20.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Community growth and PMC maturity.
 2. Demonstrate a consistent release schedule.
 3. Participation of project community within related standards-bodies and
    Apache projects.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  The community has begun an internal assessment using the Apache Maturity
  Model to identify gaps that should be addressed before graduation.  

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Dev List 
  117 emails sent by 16 people, divided into 32 topics. 

  Web Page 
  498 Sessions (up ~150%), 341 Users (up ~35%), 1178 Pageviews (up 10%).

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Source Control 
  https://github.com/apache/incubator-streams

  Excluding merges, 2 authors have pushed 17 commits to master and 17 commits
  to all branches. On master, 816 files have changed and there have been
  36,280 additions and 38,567 deletions.

  https://github.com/apache/incubator-streams-examples

  Excluding merges, 2 authors have pushed 2 commits to master and 2 commits
  to all branches. On master, 8 files have changed and there have been 323
  additions and 301 deletions.

  Steve Blackmon presented Apache Streams at Shark Tank, ApacheCon Europe,
  Seville, Spain on Nov 18, 2016.

  Team is presently working on 0.4.1-incubating release scheduled for the
  week of Dec 5, 2016.

  Work has been scoped out for an upcoming 0.5-incubating release scheduled
  for later this year.

  JIRA

  52 issues closed with 0.4-incubating release
  12 issues closed after 0.4-incubating release
  16 new issues opened in November.

Date of last release:

  2016-11-11 : 0.4-incubating release

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  2016-10-27: Joey Frazee elected as committer / PPMC member
  2016-09-28: Suneel Marthi elected as mentor / PPMC member

Signed-off-by:

  [X](streams) Matt Franklin
  [X](streams) Ate Douma
  [X](streams) Suneel Marthi

Shepherd/Mentor notes:

  Suneel Marthi:
  
    There's been lot of activity on the project since Sep 2016 and the
    project has had 2 releases since then. The project's on track for TLP
    graduation.

--------------------
Taverna

Taverna is a domain-independent suite of tools used to design and execute
data-driven workflows.

Taverna has been incubating since 2014-10-20.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Project maturity evaluation
  2. IP/licence review of unreleased repositories
  3. Graduate!

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  Preparing to graduate.

  Stian added as new mentor.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Added 3 new committers who were introduced via the Google Summer of Code. 2
  of them did not directly work on Apache Taverna through GSoC but this was
  where they heard about the project.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  The Taverna Mobile Android application is nearing release standard with all
  licence checks passed. 

  Most of the codebases under the Taverna banner are also nearing release
  standard with an extensive licence review currently underway.

  Preparing maturity report, almost ready for graduation vote.

Email stats dev@taverna:

  2016-09: 190 emails
  2016-10: 69 emails
  2016-11: 78 emails

Email stats users@taverna:
  
  2016-09: 0 emails
  2016-10: 3 emails
  2016-11: 16 emails

Jira stats:

  2016-09 (6 created, 0 resolved)
  2016-10 (3 created, 7 resolved)
  2016-11 (0 created, 15 resolved)

Git stats:
  2016-09: 158 commits
  2016-10: 165 commits
  2016-11: 34 commits

Date of last release:

  2016-07-01 taverna-engine-3.1.0-incubating
  2016-07-01 taverna-common-activities-2.1.0-incubating
  2016-07-01 taverna-commandline-3.1.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  2016-10-20

Signed-off-by:

  [x](taverna) Andy Seaborne
  [ ](taverna) Daniel J Debrunner
  [x](taverna) Stian Soiland-Reyes
  [ ](taverna) Suresh Srinivas
  [ ](taverna) Suresh Marru
  [ ](taverna) Marlon Pierce

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Tephra

Tephra is a system for providing globally consistent transactions on top of
Apache HBase and other storage engines.

Tephra has been incubating since 2016-03-07.


Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Regular releases
  2. Improve community engagement
  3. Increase adoption

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  - None at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - 18 subscribers in dev mailing list
  - 21 new JIRAs filed since the last report
  - 4 external contributors submitted patches since the last report

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - Working on 0.10.0 release
  - Released 0.9.0

Date of the last release:
    
  2016-09-18

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  - None since coming to incubation

Signed-off-by:

  [X](tephra) Alan Gates
  [ ](tephra) Andrew Purtell
  [x](tephra) James Taylor
  [ ](tephra) Lars Hofhansl

Shepherd/Mentor notes:

- Drew Farris (Shepherd): Two mentors active on mailing lists. Project is building towards
  a healthy community.

--------------------
Trafodion

Trafodion is a webscale SQL-on-Hadoop solution enabling transactional or
operational workloads on Hadoop.

Trafodion has been incubating since 2015-05-24.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Develop community and bring in more diverse contributors.
  2. Continue the momentum and become more integrated with the
     rest of the Apache community.
  3. Continue to create software releases.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  * None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Participation in public lists has been relatively steady:
    715 messages in the codereview forum, 728@commits,
    257@dev, 1155@issues and 61@user.
  * We are working towards our next release, 2.1.
  * Gunnar Tapper has volunteered to be the Release Manager.
  * Identified items for the roadmap of our next release:
     - TRAFODION-2067 Support CDH 5.7
     - TRAFODION-1988 Better java exception handling in the
                      java layer of Trafodion
     - TRAFODION-2117 Add support of SQL extension 'EXCEPT'
     - TRAFODION-2060 Add support for native tinyint datatype
     - TRAFODION-1931 ODB tool support on Windows platform
     - TRAFODION-1861 Support Trafodion running on CentOS 7
     - TRAFODION-1673 Implement the WITH clause in Trafodion
                      SQL for simple use cases
     - TRAFODION-2047 add SQL syntax support to INTERSECT
     - TRAFODION-2127 enhance Trafodion implementation of
                      WITH clause
  * The community continues to be active in China, with
    some communications happening outside the Apache dev lists,
    we had a discussion on the Incubator general list about that.
  * Community members speaking at public events:
     - Liu Ming had a Trafodion open-class for undergraduates
       at FuDan University, Shanghai on Nov 10.
     - Jin Jian had a Trafodion open-class for post-graduate
       students at FuDan University, Shanghai on Nov 24

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * 253 commits from 27 contributors.
  * 182 JIRAs filed and 113 resolved Sep 1 - Nov 30.
  * Many of the roadmap items listed above have been
    implemented, plus many more enhancements not listed
    above.

Date of last release:

  2016-07-07 2.0.1

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  in August

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](trafodion) Devaraj Das
  [ ](trafodion) Enis Söztutar
  [x](trafodion) Michael Stack

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Wave

A wave is a hosted, live, concurrent data structure for rich communication.
It can be used like email, chat, or a document.

Wave has been incubating since 2010-12-04.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Growing community
  2. Improving code base

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  The community has several new/re-activated contributors and participants
  across different disciplines since last report.  The most significant
  developments for our community have come about since September.

  After an open community conference call on Sept 28th, a joint effort
  between Wave and SwellRT development was initiated. SwellRT API has been
  tried out by some members of the community and a branch containing the
  SwellRT code is now in the repository. Discussions are still taking place
  to determine the full extent of the integration as the projects share a
  common goal but have side plans as well.

  SwellRT is a fork of Wave resolving some complexity issues of the Wave code
  that have prevented community growth and adoption issues.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Some members of Wave community have tried SwellRT API and some common tasks
  have been performed, such as:

  - Cleaned up some obsolete dependencies.
  - New branch created on wave repo containing a mirror of SwellRT code.
  - Updated major dependencies and fixed minor bugs, some taken from SwellRT.

Date of last release:

  March 2016

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  February 2016

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](wave) Christian Grobmeier
  [x](wave) Upayavira

Shepherd/Mentor notes:

  Upayavira: 

    SwellRT appears to be a useful addition to Wave - it was originally a
    fork of Wave that has been improved/simplified. The Wave community still
    needs to handle IP Clearance for the SwellRT codebase.

..

December2016 (last edited 2016-12-19 14:40:45 by TedDunning)