** FINAL DO NOT EDIT **

Timeline

Wed December 05

Podling reports due by end of day

Sun December 09

Shepherd reviews due by end of day

Sun December 09

Summary due by end of day

Tue December 11

Mentor signoff due by end of day

Wed December 12

Report submitted to Board

Wed December 19

Board meeting

Shepherd Assignments

Dave Fisher

Druid

Drew Farris

Omid

Drew Farris

SkyWalking

John Ament

Pinot

John Ament

Warble

Justin Mclean

Marvin-AI

P. Taylor Goetz

Nemo

P. Taylor Goetz

SAMOA

P. Taylor Goetz

Superset

Timothy Chen

Myriad

Timothy Chen

Spot

Timothy Chen

Zipkin

[none]

Crail

[none]

DLab

[none]

Daffodil

[none]

Dubbo

[none]

Hivemall

[none]

OpenWhisk

[none]

Pony Mail

[none]

SINGA

[none]

Taverna

[none]

Tephra

Report content

Incubator PMC report for December 2018

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and
codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.

There are presently 52 podlings incubating. During the month of November,
podlings executed 11 distinct releases. We added 17 new IPMC members and 
had 2 IPMC members retire.

Several podlings are heading towards graduation. We have also have several 
new podlings with IotDB, Sharding Sphere, BRPC and Iceburg join our ranks 
and two podlings Quickstep and ODF toolkit retire. ODF toolkit had spent 7 
years in the incubator. Airflow look set to graduate and will be the 200th 
active Apache project if no other TLP projects retire. BatchEE still seems 
stuck in performing the last graduation steps.

Superset is slowly addressing its issues, but has still not made an Apache 
release and has continued to make unofficial releases. A meeting has been 
set up to try and sort out the issues as discussing them on the mailing 
list doesn't seem to be working.

There were 2 IP clearances.

A number of podlings, despite prompting, failed to report and will be asked 
to report next month.

The mentor situation has improved but we still have a number of podlings 
(19) with less than 3 mentors.

An email was sent to the members list, to see if we can get more IPMC 
members and several people stepped forward.

We also had a discussion about lowering the bar for IPMC members and seeing 
how they potential candidates can be more easily recognised. While unusual
at the  ASF, we've asked people to self identify, they will still be voted 
on by the IPMC, and several have come forward and have been voted in. 
Several had more than enough merit and had gone unnoticed or looked over
by the IPMC and in a couple of cases were extremely obvious candidates.

As a result of both of these we have 17 new IPMC members and several new 
mentors.

One podling had to be reminded that a NOTICE needs to be sent to the IPMC 
for any new PPMC members.

Moderators of the incubator mailing list had gone missing and 3 new 
moderators have been added. Some IPMC members had previously missed being 
signed up the private email list as a result of this.

A large number (100+) of IPMC members are not signed up to the private mail 
list, each was sent emails asking them to sign up. A couple asked to be 
removed from IPMC but the majority of those contacted have not signed up. 
There's probably not much more that can be done about this.

Podlings rosters are now (with a few exceptions) mostly up-to-date.

The default podling bylaws/guidelines were posted to the board list, some 
minor changes were made and have been accepted. Graduating podlings will be 
pointed to these guidelines rather than encouraged to write their own.

* Community

 New IPMC members:
  - Chris Lambertus
  - David Meikle
  - Felix Cheung 
  - Furkan Kamaci
  - Ioannis Canellos
  - Jason Dai
  - John Kinsella
  - Kenneth Knowles
  - Kishore G
  - Koji Sekiguchi
  - Myrle Krantz
  - Paul King
  - Shaofeng Shi
  - Sheng Wu
  - Vinayakumar B
  - Von Gosling
  - Woonsan Ko

 People who left the IPMC:
 - Mark Dwayne Womack
 - Sean Busby
 
* New Podlings
 - BRPC
 - Iceburg
 - IotDB
 - Sharding-Sphere        

* Podlings that failed to report, expected next month
 - Marvin-AI
 - Pinot

* Graduations
 - Apache Airflow

* Releases

 The following releases entered distribution during the month of
 November:
 - PLC4X 0.2.0
 - Weex 0.20.0
 - MXNet version 1.3.1
 - NetBeans 1.6 HTML/Java API
 - Dubbo 2.6.5
 - Release Airflow 1.10.1
 - Heron 0.20.0
 - NetBeans 10.0
 - SkyWalking ersion 6.0.0
 - Toree 0.3.0
 - Ratis-thirdparty 0.1.0

* IP Clearance
 - OpenWhisk Composer Python
 - OpenWhisk Composer

* Legal / Trademarks
 Some issues around the use of CC licensed content need clarification.   

* Infrastructure
 No issues.

* Miscellaneous
 - More discussion on reviewing binary releases.
 - UNICEF wants to bring an open source project to the ASF.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Table of Contents
BRPC
Crail
Daffodil
Druid
Dubbo
Hivemall
Iceberg
IoTDB
Myriad
Nemo
Omid
OpenWhisk
Pony Mail
SAMOA
ShardingSphere
SINGA
SkyWalking
Spot
Superset
Taverna
Tephra
Warble
Zipkin

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
BRPC

BRPC is an industrial-grade RPC framework for building reliable and 
high-performance services.

BRPC has been incubating since 2018-11-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Collect the SGA and ICLAs of the Initial COmmitters
  2. Create the Mailing Lists and Subscribe
  3. Move the Repository under Apache.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  No.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Just getting started. A little slowness on the Mentor / Champion side on 
  the setup.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  First report.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  No Apache Releases.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  None.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Mailing list creation fell through the cracks. Corrected now.

Signed-off-by:

[ ](brpc) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
[X](brpc) Kevin A. McGrail
[X](brpc) Von Gosling 

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
    Dave Fisher: I wrote up this report and made the mailing list request.
    Justin Mclean: LDAP and DNS also feel between the cracks. Mentors were 
    pinged but no response. I think it would be good for this project to 
    have an extra mentor.
    Von Gosling: I would like to help brpc teams to be podling, and inform 
    the team offline. Some of the initial committers have finished the ICLA
    , and dev & private email lists are ready. Thanks champion Fisher.

--------------------
Crail

Crail is a storage platform for sharing performance critical
data in distributed data processing jobs at very high speed.

Crail has been incubating since 2017-11-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Community building: attract additional contributors from different
     companies/affiliations
  2. Further increase visibility / PR
  3. Develop further fields of applicability of Crail, such as
     efficient serverless computing

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Our twitter account "@ApacheCrail" now has 125 followers
  * We have only 6 active contributors, here we hope
    to improve.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Second release is out, including binary release
  * Bug fixes for second release.
  * Better documentation using readthedoc
  * Constant activities on bug fixes, quality improvements
    at https://github.com/apache/incubator-crail
  * The binary code release as part of the second release
    sparked discussion on the general@incubator list,
    clarifying the issues on how to handle those releases. 

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

 [ ] Initial setup
 [ ] Working towards first release
 [X] Community building
 [ ] Nearing graduation
 [ ] Other:

Date of last release:
  12/05/2018

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  2017-11-01 (entering incubation)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

 * 2 of our mentors are very helpful and responsive. We had to remove
   the third mentor Raphael Bircher due to inactivity.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](crail) Julian Hyde
     Comments: With two releases completed successfully, community
       building is the main task for this project to get to
       graduation. Welcome to Felix as a new mentor!
  [x](crail) Luciano Resende
     Comments:
  [x](crail) Felix Cheung
     Comments: (signing up as mentor)

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
DLab
 
DLab is a platform for creating self-service, exploratory data science
environments in the cloud using best-of-breed data science tools.
 
DLab has been incubating since 2018-08-20.
 
Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
 
 1. Execute the SGA between EPAM and the ASF so code can be imported.
 2. Move bug tracking system including project backlog to Apache issue 
tracking system – in progress
 3. Work toward an initial Apache release – in progress, first release 
planned for EOY
 
Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware 
of?
 
  Nothing at this point of time.
 
How has the community developed since the last report?
 
  We are not at the stage of building community so far, but we hosted two 
  workshops recently and hope to have ˜2 potentials contributors from it.
  Also we hosted two conferences and hope to have some contributors from it.
 
How has the project developed since the last report?
 
  Initial committers have submitted their Apache ICLA, subscribed to all 
  mailing lists and created
  Jira accounts. Functionality added:
    · Added support of Java libraries installation
    · Added support of Spark configuration from Web UI
    · Implemented support for deployment into two VPC’s for AWS version
    · Added support for DLab to not use public IP’s for MS Azure
    · Redesign of DLab Web UI for roles management – in progress
    · Update version of Zeppelin/Spark/EMR – in progress
    · Scheduler in idle time – in progress
 
How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.
 
  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:
 
Date of last release:
 
  This is going to be our first release. Target date EOY.
 
When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
 
  We are still operating with the set of initial committers.
 
Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.
 
   Mentors are very helpful and try to resolve any issues immediately.
   Open issues:
    · None of contributors have access to create JIRA SCRUM/Kanban
    boards (we have migrated the tickets, but can’t formaly create
    a release/sprint)

Signed-off-by:

  [X](dlab) P. Taylor Goetz
     Comments: 
  [ ](dlab) Henry Saputra
     Comments:
  [ ](dlab) Konstantin I Boudnik
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
    Justin Mclean: Report was submitted past due date, mentors hadn't been
    paying attention but should be now, however still missing sign-offs.

--------------------
Daffodil

Apache Daffodil is an implementation of the Data Format Description
Language (DFDL) used to convert between fixed format data and
XML/JSON.

Daffodil has been incubating since 2017-08-27.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Increase community growth and participation
  2. Establish a frequent release schedule
  3. Work with other Apache projects where Daffodil could provided extra
     functionality

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  - None, though an extra mentor would be beneficial. We currently only
    have 2 mentors.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - A couple questions were asked and answered on StackOverflow on
    DFDL schema development using Daffodil
  - Increased activity on the users@ mailing list from 4
    non-committers, with topics such as potential bugs and DFDL schema
    design best practices
  - Mike Beckerle gave a Daffodil talk at ApacheCon Montreal
  - Steve Lawrence gave a Daffodil talk at a local Meetup
  - Mike Beckerle is scheduled to give a talk at a local Meetup in
    December
  - Steve Lawrence submitted a talk to the Apache Roadshow in DC,
    which is now postponed
  - Created a logo and twitter account: @ApacheDaffodil
  - Updated Apache Spark integration, will be presented at a Meetup
    for feedback and potential community growth
  - Updated Apache NiFi integration and created a pull request with
    Apache NiFi. Received positive feedback.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - 22 commits from 4 different developers
  - 25 issues created, 46 issues resolved

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-09-05

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - None, same as project incubation

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  - No issues

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](daffodil) John D. Ament
     Comments:
  [X](daffodil) David Fisher
     Comments: I'm seeing good user discussions about features and how to 
     use Daffodil. I'd like to see more on how to develop.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Druid

Druid is a high-performance, column-oriented, distributed data store.

Druid has been incubating since 2018-02-28.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Complete first Apache release (currently in voting phase of 0.13.0-rc4)
  2. Move the website to Apache infrastructure
  3. Continue to grow the community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  The Druid community has invited 10 active members from 7 different 
  organizations to participate as new committers. All 10 invitees have 
  accepted the invitation.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - Since the last report, we have had a total of 195 commits from 42 
  contributors
  - We have released 0.12.3, a non-incubator bugfix release
  - We have code frozen a 0.13.0 branch and are currently voting on final 
  release artifacts
  - We have started work on moving the project pages from druid.io to 
  druid.apache.org

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  - Druid 0.12.3 (non-Apache) was released on 2018-09-18.
  - Druid 0.13.0-incubating has been proposed and is currently in the 
  voting phase

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  The Druid PPMC elected 10 new committers to the project on November 20, 
  2018.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  They have been very helpful.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](druid) Julian Hyde
     Comments: It's taken a few iterations, but the first release looks like
       it's just about to pass the vote. This was their biggest hurdle. They
       mastered Apache governance a long while ago, and have built 
       community.
       I'm not concerned about the weekly sync up meetings as long as they
       continue to send out minutes and make decisions on the dev list.
       After one more release this project should consider graduation.
  [x](druid) P. Taylor Goetz
     Comments: I agree with Julian. Though would recommend (but not demand)
       three releases prior to graduation.
  [x](druid) Jun Rao
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
     Dave Fisher: I'm somewhat concerned that the podling uses weekly sync 
     up meetings.
     I am happy to see that Julian is gently steering them to use dev@ 
     for decisions.
     They have made non-Apache releases, but are now on rc4 of an 
     Apache release.

--------------------
Dubbo

Dubbo is a high-performance, lightweight, java based RPC framework.

Dubbo has been incubating since 2018-02-16.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Ensure more discussion and decision making to be happening on the 
  mailing list.
  2. Release 2.7.0, the first release after package renaming.
  3. Transfer more qualified external Dubbo ecosystem projects into Apache.
  4. Add more committers and PPMC members.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * New committer:
    * Minxuan Zhuang has been voted as committer on 2018-09-11
    * Jinkai Ma(majinkai) has been voted as committer on 2018-10-31
    * Zhenqiang Yi(manzhizhen) has been voted as committer on 2018-11-05
    * Victory Cao(cvictory) has been voted as committer on 2018-11-09
    * Liandong Chen(purple-force) has been voted as committer on 2018-11-14
    * Jeff Lv(Jeff-Lv) has been voted as committer on 2018-11-21
  * New PMC member:
    * Zonghai Shang(yiji) has been voted as pmc member on 2018-11-01
    * Yong Zhu(diecui1202) has been voted as pmc member on 2018-12-03
  * Github stats is growing rapidly since last report. as of Dec 3rd,
    * number of stars has grown from 21126 to 22796.
    * contributors has been grown from 119 to 144.
    * number of forks has grown from 14625 to 15761.
  * 14 new companies reported their using of Dubbo since last report, 118 
  in total
  * Hangzhou Meetup was held on 2018-06-23: Online registration 500+, 
  on-site registration: 250
  * Start transferring dubbo-samples project from external Dubbo ecosystem 
  into Apache, IP clearance process has been completed, SGA from Alibaba 
  has been submitted.
  * The following projects has been added to external Apache Dubbo 
  ecosystem(http://github.com/dubbo, non-Apache repositories):
    * dubbo-registry-nacos
    * dubbo-benchmark
    * egg-dubbo-rpc
    * dubbo-remoting-js
    These projects are being watched by Apache Dubbo PPMC and are planning 
    be moved to Apache once they meet the quality requirement.
  * Dubbo has ranked Top 3 of most popular open source project in China in 
  2018.  https://www.oschina.net/project/top_cn_2018

  Since last report, the communities has welcomed 6 new committers and 2 
  new PPMC members. Comparing to last quarter, when we have 4 new 
  committers and no new PPMC members. The number of contributors have
  grown from 119 to 144.

  The following events have played key parts of helping the community to 
  grow:
  0. Ian Luo and Jun Liu have delivered a a talk "Introducing Apache 
  Dubbo(Incubating): What is Dubbo and How it Works" in ApacheCon Montreal.
  1. With a discussion with mentors in ApacheCon Montreal, the Dubbo 
  community and learned a lot about how to build the community. One key 
  takeaway is that to keep the bar for becoming a committer low.
  2. Dave Fisher has becoming our new mentor.
  3. Apache project meetup in ShangHai has been held in Oct 13th
  4. Our mentor Justin has visited Alibaba, and give a talk on navigating 
  through the incubator process
  5. COSCon'18 has been held in Shenzhen, China, where Craig L.Russell, 
  Dave Fisher, and Justin have delivered a lot of wonderful talks about ASF.

How has the project developed since the last report?
  * Dubbo 2.6.4 is released on 2018-10-8
  * Dubbo 2.6.5 is released on 2018-11-23
  * Dubbo 2.7.0 is under development, a major feature called separation of 
  config metadata and registry metadata has almost been completed.
  * New features of Dubbo-ops, e.g. complete support of service governance 
  for 2.6, and support for 2.7 has been added.
  * Mailing list stats:
      * 2018-09-01~2018-11-31: 663 emails, 68 participants, 118 topics
      * 2018-06-01~2018-08-31 : 680 emails, 85 participants, 128 topics
  * Github stats:
      * 2018-09-01~2018-11-31: 182 issues closed,  190 pr closed
      * 2018-06-01~2018-08-31 : 200 issues closed, 287 pr closed

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-11-23

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Yong Zhu(diecui1202) has been voted as PPMC members on 2018-12-03

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Mentors have been very helpful to guide the Dubbo community through 
  Apache way.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](dubbo) Justin Mclean
     Comments:
  [X](dubbo) Mark Thomas
     Comments:
  [X](dubbo) David Fisher
     Comments: Busy project.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Hivemall

Hivemall is a library for machine learning implemented as Hive
UDFs/UDAFs/UDTFs.

Hivemall has been incubating since 2016-09-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. One or more Apache Releases as an Incubator project
  2. Community growth (committers and users)
  3. Documentation improvements

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Github watchers/stars are gradually increasing:
    181 stars as of Nov 27 (was 169 on Sept 3)
  * Twitter account @ApacheHivemall followers are gradually increasing:
    175 followers as of Nov 27 (was 154 on Sept 3)

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Prepared the second Apache release, v0.5.2. 
    Now voting started at general@i.a.o on Nov 27th.
        
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201811.mbox/%3CC
AGJoAU%3D-aweJkZuP-%3DKp6XPjfAC%3Dv4Si%2B3mbx4L-4is_jTB_yg%40mail.gmail.com%
3E
        
  Since the last report, we have
   * In the last 3 months, we opened 13 JIRA issues and closed 17 JIRA
   issues as seen in https://goo.gl/QFQEF5 (as of Nov 27)
                        Created   Resolved
            Sept 2018     4         10
             Oct 2018     3         1
             Nov 2018     7         6
   * Created 14 Pull Requests and closed 12 Pull Requests between Sept 1st
    and Nov 27th.
 
https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20created%3A201
8-09-01..2018-11-27
  
https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20closed%3A2018
-09-01..2018-11-27

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [x] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  March 5, 2018.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - Elected Jerome Banks as a committer on April 2.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  - New mentor Koji is active at mentoring and very helpful.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](hivemall) Xiangrui Meng
     Comments:
  [ ](hivemall) Daniel Dai
     Comments:
  [x](hivemall) Koji Sekiguchi
     Comments: We're under the new release vote now. I met Makoto Yui in 
     person in Tokyo few days ago and I could find his comprehension of
     Apache way is great! He leads the development team very well.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Iceberg

Iceberg is a table format for large, slow-moving tabular data.

Iceberg has been incubating since 2018-11-16.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Get the SGA accepted.
  2. Finish the name clearance.
  3. Make the first Apache release.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  * Gitbox integration has helped a lot, although it is frustrating that
    the team members are not allowed to configure the project and must go
    through infra for every change.
  * The traffic on the dev list from Github pull requests and issues is 
    pretty heavy. It would be nice to have emails from creation go to dev@,
    while updates and resolutions would go the issues@.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  This is the first report.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  This is the first report.
  Both the software grant and trademark agreements have been submitted.
  Code has been imported and updated to use the ASF license header. LICENSE 
  and NOTICE files have been updated to comply with ASF policy.
  Podling website is up at https://iceberg.apache.org.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  None yet

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  None yet

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  We're working through the issues as they come up.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](iceberg) Ryan Blue
     Comments:
  [ ](iceberg) Julien Le Dem
     Comments:
  [X](iceberg) Owen O'Malley
     Comments: I wrote the first pass of the report.
  [X](iceberg) James Taylor
     Comments:
  [X](iceberg) Carl Steinbach
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
IoTDB

Apache IoTDB is a data store for managing large amounts of time series data
such as timestamped data from IoT sensors in industrial applications.

IoTDB has been incubating since 2018-11-18. Currently, the initial
committers are in the progress of signing ICLA and SGA.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Finishing SGA and ICLA
  2. Prepare the official website and English documentation
  3. Migrate the source code to Apache code repository

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?
  * The mail lists have been established.
  *  6 subjects are discussed in dev mail list. There are 28 replies
  totally.
  *  Attract a contributor from Apache Calcite.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * The initial committers are working for merging all existing PRs, so
  that we can migrate the source code to Apache code repository easily (16 
  pr are merged)
  *  The initial committers are translating the user manual from Chinese to
  English Version. (3/7 chapters are finished)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

  newborn

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
 
  N/A

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  The mentors give the project and committers much help and it is 
  responsive.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](IoTDB) Christofer Dutz
     Comments:
  [X](IoTDB) Joe Witt
     Comments:
  [X](IoTDB) Justin Mclean
     Comments:
  [X](IoTDB) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Myriad

Myriad enables co-existence of Apache Hadoop YARN and Apache Mesos together 
on the same cluster and allows dynamic resource allocations across both 
Hadoop and other applications running on the same physical data center
infrastructure.

Myriad has been incubating since 2015-03-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. MYRIAD-280: Improve overall stability
  2. MYRIAD-279: Reworking a new UI design
  3. MYRIAD-278: Create test-suit

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  A new release is coming, the community is engaged in the process of 
  creating versions every quarter. The new PPMCs are beginners creating
  releases in the Apache way, and probably they will need some kind of
  assistance from the mentor side.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  An increment of activity and newcomers with a desire to contribute, in 
  particular in the scope of the user interface, one of our main goals.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  One of our main issues was solved (MYRIAD-264: Upgrade Mesos API to 1.5.x)
  so a new version can be unlocked

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [X] Other: new activity and feeling of project recovery.

Date of last release:

  The 0.2.0 release was issued on Jun 29, 2016.  The 0.3.0 release is 
  planned for the next days.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-05-22 New committer/PMC member Juan P. Gilaberte.
  2018-03-28 New committer/PMC member Javi Roman.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Yes, really helpful. In particular Ted Dunning was really helpful in
  the assistance of advice and guidelines.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](myriad) Benjamin Hindman
     Comments:
  [x](myriad) Ted Dunning
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Nemo

Nemo is a data processing system to flexibly control the runtime behaviors 
of a job to adapt to varying deployment characteristics.

Nemo has been incubating since 2018-02-04.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the community: add new contributors/committers
  2. Grow the user base
  3. Develop a clear roadmap for graduation

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Committers actively sent PRs and did code reviews
  * Committers actively involved in mailing lists
  * Committers started to interact with other communities

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Created the first release candidate (in the process of voting)
  * Code donation to ASF 
  * Added Beam stream support
  * Created a Beam Nemo runner 
  * Added Nemo Web UI
  * Hardened the Nemo runtime (scheduling, data transfer, etc.)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  None yet.
  In the process of voting for the first release.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  None yet.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Yes. Our mentors have been helpful and responsive.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](nemo) Davor Bonaci
     Comments: the podling is doing really well; first release to come 
shortly.
  [ ](nemo) Hyunsik Choi
     Comments:
  [X](nemo) Byung-Gon Chun
     Comments:
  [X](nemo) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
     Comments:
  [ ](nemo) Markus Weimer
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Omid

Omid is a flexible, reliable, high performant and scalable ACID 
transactional
framework that allows client applications to execute transactions on top of
MVCC key/value-based NoSQL datastores (currently Apache HBase) providing
Snapshot Isolation guarantees on the accessed data.

Omid has been incubating since 2016-03-28.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Finish integration with Apache Phoenix – Omid side was implemented and 
  released.
  2. Document additional features added for the integration with Apache 
  Phoenix, as well as, the low latency algorithm.
  3. Get positive feedback from other projects currently in Apache.
 
Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  N/A

How has the community developed since the last report?

  New committer, Yonatan Gottesman, was added to Omid’s community. Yonatan 
  is very active and contributed to the integration with Phoenix. 
  Moreover, Yonattan implemented the low latency version of Omid which is 
  currently part of release 1.0.0.
  Integration with Apache Phoenix will be ready in a few days, early 
  December.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  The vote for major release 1.0.0 passed successfully in the incubator 
  general list. This release includes all the Phoenix required features. 
  The release is currently being deployed to Nexus and a formal 
  announcement of the release will be send shortly.
  Omid and Apache Phoenix integration is at its final stage. Omid release 
  1.0.0 includes all Phoenix required features, therefore, from the Omid 
  side, the integration with Phoenix is over. 
  The Phoenix code is also ready and currently located in a feature branch 
  that will be merged in a few days.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-06-10

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-09-25

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Our mentors are very helpful and responsive. We appreciate their help.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](omid) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [x](omid) James Taylor
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  Drew Farris (Shepherd) - Mentors active on the mailing lists, active 
  development, and progress towards graduation observed.

--------------------
OpenWhisk  
OpenWhisk is an open source, distributed Serverless computing platform able 
to execute application logic (Actions) in response to events (Triggers) 
from external sources (Feeds) or HTTP requests governed by conditional 
logic (Rules). It provides a programming environment supported by a REST 
API-based Command Line Interface (CLI) along with tooling to support 
packaging and catalog services.  Additionally, it now provides options to 
host the platform components as Docker containers on various Container 
Frameworks such as Mesos, Kubernetes, and Compose.
 
OpenWhisk has been incubating since 2016-11-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:    
   1. Improve release automation to decrease manual steps in creating 
   release artifacts.
      a. Release process/automation/documentation are here 
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release).
      b. We have made the initial releases of 12 core software components.  
  In the process we have developed some release automation, but there is a 
   need to further automate the process and formalize the mechanisms for 
make 
   a coordinated release of all components.
   2. Increase additional company and individual Contributors to maintain 
   all project repos. and address Issue / PR backlog.
   3. Close legal transferred of Trademark handoff for "OpenWhisk" name and 
   logo to ASF

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware 
of?    
   1. Issue backlog building on incubator-openwhisk is still a major issue 
  (partly due to #2 above). As of this report, the "open" issue backlog on 
  the "main" platform repo is 397 (up from 384 as of last report). The open 
  PR count on the main repo has held steady at around 30 (down from 50+ 6 
  months ago), but still 1/3 of the ready-to-merge PRs are more than 1 
  month old.  The PR and Issue backlog on other project repositories is
  generally much lower and of less concern than the Issue backlog on the
  main repo.
   2. Need to prioritize and work to reduce while advancing major proposals 
  around restructuring around abstractions to accommodate running on 
  Knative while enhancing support for better logging/scheduling and
  performance testing enhancements.
   3. Trying to add more active Committers to augment those who have 
  dropped off in their activity; however, we have reached an impasse where 
  potential new Contributor pull requests are not getting timely 
  reviews/merges.  We have potential new Contribs. to front-end Runtimes we 
  will look to nominate ASAP, but we still lack back-end Contribs.
   4. The project is still working on establishing an open staging 
  environment to enable proper testing without depending on closed testing 
  infrastructure at involved companies. Unfortunately, even after finally 
  arranging a corporate donation to the ASF in June to support this need, 
  it took until late October for Apache Infra to finish provisioning the 
  machines. 
  5. Formal hand-off of OpenWhisk trademark/logo from IBM needs to be 
  executed; need to identify process for this. See #3 above.
    * Discussion started w/ Apache legal via "legal-discuss" mailing list 
    with subject "Trademark handoff for "OpenWhisk" name and logo".
    * IBM intends to hand-off ownership of trademarks at time of 
    graduation.
   6. Announcements from Google (Knative) in late July and AWS 
  (Firecracker) just last week apply pressure on our community in order to 
  both explain to developers/operators how OW is differentiated from, as 
  well as compatible with, both popular providers’ frameworks.

How has the community developed since the last report?    
  * dev mailing list activity – was relatively light with the main 
  discussion topics/activity being (reflected in comments below as well):
        Golang runtime and new ActionLoop (runtime)
            Interpretation of "main" for GoLang and ActionLoop docker images
            Promises (or equivalent) in Python and GoLang
            Submitted PR for hopefully now stable GoLang OpenWhisk runtime
            Re: Completing the integration of the Go lang runtime
            Contributing an actionloop based runtime for Python - and 
            creating an actionloop repo
            The ActionLoop based runtime for Python3.6 for OpenWhisk is 5 
            times faster than the curre...
        Donation of Composer to OW
            Donation of ibm-functions/composer to Apache OpenWhisk
            towards the first apache release of openwhisk-composer
            Re: Donation of ibm-functions/composer to Apache OpenWhisk
        Performance and Logging
            Active acks from invoker to controller
            Proposal to Remove Artifact Store Polling for Blocking 
            Invocations
            Relieve CouchDB on high load
        Release
            OpenWhisk officially first-time released all the 12 modules 
            under Apache as incubator pro...
            Re: [DISCUSSION]: Proposing to use 1.12.0 as the version for 
            all runtimes for the first-t...
            Instruction documented to release openwhisk projects under 
            apache
            Re: Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for 
            openwhisk modules
        Other:
            Autonomous Container Scheduler v2 proposal

    * incubator-openwhisk Github stars: 3657 (+185 since last report)

    * incubator-openwhisk GitHub forks: 692 (+40 since last report). Note 
    lots of more competing projects entering the Serverless space.

    * Slack community:
        * 1,072 members (+103 from last report).  Very active in most 
        channels from both end users or the project and contributors
        * To-date: 126,282 messages sent across all channels (+13956 since  
        last report)
        * Analytics: https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/admin/stats

    * The  bi-weekly Zoom "Technical Interchange" continues to be well 
    received and attended.

        Complete videos posted to OW YouTube channel and detailed notes to 
        our CWIKI.

        YouTube Channel: Apache Meetings Playlist

        CWiki Meeting Notes: OpenWhisk Technical Interchange Meeting Notes
           
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-09-12+OW+Tech+Int
erchange+-+Meeting+Notes
          
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-09-26+OW+Tech+Int
erchange+-+Meeting+Notes

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-10-10+OW+Tech+Int
erchange+Meeting+Notes
          
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-10-24+OW+Tech+Int
erchange+Meeting+Notes
        
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-11-07+OW+Tech+Int
erchange+Meeting+Notes

    * New Contributors
        * ICLAs received:
            Manjiri Tapaswi <mptapasw@ncsu.edu>
            Andreas Tsagkaropoulos <atsagkaropoulos@mail.ntua.gr>
            Neeraj Laad <neeraj.laad@uk.ibm.com>

        * Joined Community Interchange calls and introduced themselves:
            Shawn Black: Architect at a reinsurance company in St. Louis.
            Stanciu - at Adobe, joined runtime team a few weeks ago
            Victor: Grad. student at USC. Working on a thesis on real-time 
            computing in the Cloud.  Goal is looking into how to apply 
            real-time components into OpenWhisk.
            Markus: now with Red Hat
            Prabhash Rathnayake, intern at WSO2, proposed JIRA package to 
            catalog

How has the project developed since the last report?

Emphasis on these areas have been featured since last report:

    Google Knative

        Knative and the general popularity of Kubernetes is driving the 
        community to design and document how OW can be compatible with 
        Knative concepts of “Serving”, “Build” and “Eventing”.  Primarily
        we are increasing our friendliness to the Kube community to
        hopefully attract more developers to help us by improving Kube
        deployment docs and configs. for both developers and operators to more
        easily “get started”. Proposals on Wiki have stalled since Sept. need
        to revitalize the conversation.

    Release process

        Initial releases of all “core” repos (both back-end platform and 
        front-end tooling) are complete.  We are adding the release of the 
        new IBM donation of Composer at the time of authoring this report 
        (currently undergoing IPMC VOTE).
        Rename of all "packages" (lib.) names to "apache.org", see: Re: 
        Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for openwhisk 
        modules

        We look forward to creating a unified release to assure we have a 
        major/minor version that is tested to be compat. with one another 
        (as now all are disparate releases).
        Need more mentor help at getting release votes through IPMC.

    Website revamp

        Completed.  Now linking in critical developer and operator docs. to 
        be friendlier and provide “how tos” / tutorials to teach OW key 
        features such including Web Actions, Provider samples,  Added
        “getting started” sections for Ruby and Swift, as well as for new
        Docker Desktop (with Kubernetes).

    Runtime updates:

        ActionLoop (part of Go Runtime as of today), supports a general, 
        very fast mechanism for creating new Runtimes (or migrating 
        existing).

        New runtime for the .NET language needs to be taken “over the 
        finish line"
        See initial discussion: dotnet 2.1 Runtime for OpenWhisk

    Composer

        Passed IP Clearance, IPMC vote completed
      
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/openwhisk-composer-python.html

        original IBM donated code was here: 
https://github.com/ibm-functions/composer-python/

    Other Notable discussions/changes/issues/features:

        No update

How would you assess the podling's maturity?  Please feel free to add your 
own commentary.    

   [  ] Initial setup
   [  ] Working towards first release  (nearly complete, see above)
   [X] Community building
   [X] Nearing graduation  
   [  ] Other:  

Comments:

    Need greater variety of contributors and contributing companies; 
    especially on the “back-end” platform side and to align us with Knative.
    Need more mentor help at getting release votes through IPMC with the
    large # of components we have now.

Date of last release:    

    Links to latest component releases can be found here: 
https://openwhisk.apache.org/downloads.html

    Composer (new), v0.90 RC1, undergoing IPMC vote: 
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8b182e4b0ad7e402f4be61500285abedf440672
15a5d351bdaeb005b@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?    

    New Committers+PPMC:

        None since last report

    New Committers:

        None since last report (PPMC will work on this)

Signed-off-by:

  [X](openwhisk) Bertrand Delacretaz
     Comments: I have asked on list for clarification on the "It seems that 
     Apache Infra. will not provide us servers" comment, to see what could
     be done.
  [X](openwhisk) Jim Jagielski
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
     Justin Mclean: There was a conversation that mentioned unapproved 
     releaseson the dev kist. This situation needs to be clarified.

--------------------
Pony Mail

Pony Mail is a mail-archiving, archive viewing, and interaction service, 
that can be integrated with many email platforms.

Pony Mail has been incubating since 2016-05-27.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Growing Community
  2. Working on release processes
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  Nothing of note

How has the community developed since the last report?

  It's been very quiet. We have sufficient oversight, but the project has 
  not seen much new development.
  There are outstanding bug reports, but to the best of my knowledge, no 
  vulnerabilities exist.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  No noteworthy development since last report.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-02-05

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  No new committers since last report.
  Sharan Foga has joined as a mentor in August 2018.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](ponymail) John D. Ament
     Comments:
  [x](ponymail) Sharan Foga
     Comments: Some work really needs to be done on community building to 
     get more people involved with the project. I suspect that there are
     a few users within several ASF projects so reaching out to them for
     feedback could be good way to get some interest started.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
SAMOA

SAMOA provides a collection of distributed streaming algorithms for the most
common data mining and machine learning tasks such as classification,
clustering, and regression, as well as programming abstractions to develop 
new algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines 
(DSPEs).
It features a pluggable architecture that allows it to run on several DSPEs
such as Apache Storm, Apache S4, and Apache Samza.

SAMOA has been incubating since 2014-12-15.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Revitalize the project by resuming development
 2. Enlarge the user base and contributing community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

 *  Mailing list activity (September 2018 - November 2018):
    * @dev: 30 messages

How has the project developed since the last report?
  * 2 new PRs created
  * Working on code for supporting Apache Heron

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2016-09-30

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  January 2018

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Yes, the mentors have been helpful and responsive.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](samoa) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [ ](samoa) Ashutosh Chauhan
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
ShardingSphere

Sharding-Sphere is an ecosystem of transparent distributed database
middleware, focusing on data sharding, distributed transaction and database
orchestration.

ShardingSphere has been incubating since 2018-11-10.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Move codebase to Apache.
  2. Upload website.
  3. First ASF release.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  N/A(This is the first report.)

How has the project developed since the last report?

  N/A(This is the first report.)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-10-23 (before joining Apache Incubator.)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](shardingsphere) Craig L Russell
     Comments:
  [ ](shardingsphere) Benjamin Hindman
     Comments:
  [X](shardingsphere) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments: shardingsphere is in the middle of moving the repo to Apache.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

The migration of the repository has been deferred for a final release 
outside Apache.

--------------------
SINGA

SINGA is a distributed deep learning platform.

SINGA has been incubating since 2015-03-17.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Release version 2.0 in December and integrate Rafiki code
  2. Preparing for graduation 
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SINGA-405
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  N/A

How has the community developed since the last report?

  The dev email list is more activate with more users.
  A new committer is nominated.

  Number of emails from Sep to Dec.
  Dec 2018, 23
  Nov 2018, 71
  Oct 2018, 51
  Sep 2018, 14

How has the project developed since the last report?

  We have developed a submodule of Singa, called Rafiki to provide 
  automated machine learning.
  Two major features are developed for Singa, i.e., autograd (finished) and 
  onnx (almost done).

  There are 265 Commits since last report (including the commits for 
  Rafiki).

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  The system is getting stable and there are more and more users.
  We are preparing the graduation process, 
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SINGA-405, and are discussioning it 
  in the dev list.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-06-06

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 2018-12-04

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  The mentors are helpful and have given the suggestions on graduation.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](singa) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [x](singa) Ted Dunning
     Comments:
  [ ](singa) Thejas Nair
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
SkyWalking

SkyWalking

Skywalking is an APM (application performance monitor), especially for
microservice, Cloud Native and container-based architecture systems. 
Support observe system by distributed tracing agents/SDKs or through Service
Mesh telemetry data.

SkyWalking has been incubating since 2017-12-08.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. IP clearance.
  3. First ASF release. (SkyWalking 5.0)
  3. Further ASF culture and processes.
  4. 5.x releases are stable for product, and have 5 open end users, at 
  least.
  5. Support multiple languages agents/SDKs.
  6. Integration with other pupolar OSS systems. Zipkin data format 
  supported.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  Have six Apache releases already. 5.0.0-alpha, 5.0.0-beta, 5.0.0-beta2, 
  5.0.0-RC2, 5.0.0-GA, 6.0.0-alpha

  Started the `Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP` discussion 
  in IPMC. IPMC addressed a main issue before graduation, need to promote 
  more committers by given the number of contributors. 
  SkyWalking community has recognised, and voted/passed three new 
  committers, more committers are in discussion and voting process. The 
  PPMCs have learned from the graduation discussion.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. SkyWalking is working with Istio community, in the 6.0.0-alpha 
  release, we support telemetry format from Istio.
  2. Near 50 companies have confirmed they are using SkyWalking 
  through issue report or our powered-by page.
  3. There are 74 people to contribute codes to our main repo. 17 more than 
  the last report.
  4. Three new committors voted and joined. Wenbin Wang, Can Li and Jian 
  Tan. 
  5. A new UI project open source. https://github.com/TinyAllen/rocketbot. 
  It runs as a secondary choice and very cool UI for SkyWalking, by 
  following our query protocol.
  6. baiyang, wangkai, liyuntao, ilucky, zhangkewei, and wangsheng added to 
  SkyWalking PPMC, because they are initial committers.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  The project has a diverse community, many users, contributors are from 
  different companies.
  There has been over 100 commits by more than 22 contributors in the three 
  months.
  In 5.0.0-RC2 release milestones, there are 130 issues and pull requests 
  solved.
  In 5.0.0-GA release milestones, there are 32 issues and pull requests 
  solved.
  In 6.0.0-alpha release milestones, there are 202 issues and pull requests 
  solved.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [x] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  5.0.0-GA  17 Oct 2018
  6.0.0-alpha  14 Nov 2018

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Dec. 2018

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](skywalking) Luke Han
     Comments:
  [ ](skywalking) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments:
  [X](skywalking) Mick Semb Wever
     Comments: 'issues to address' probably doesn't need to be so 
     technical, the board can presume technical momentum by release 
     frequency and new committers. Graduation is more dependent on the
     ASF community dynamics. Adding the new committers for example.
  [X](skywalking) Ignasi Barrera
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  Drew Farris (shepherd) - Mentors active on mailing lists, active progress 
  towards graduation.

--------------------
Spot

Apache Spot is a platform for network telemetry built on an open data model
and Apache Hadoop.

Spot has been incubating since 2016-09-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Revive community activity (Discussion in mailing lists, increase 
  frequency of commits)
  2. Make it easier for Devs to contribute to the project (e.g. 
  documentation, framework).
  3. Developing a workflow in Spot that allows for intuitive analytics.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  We are currently down to 1 mentor. Although we put a request for an 
  additional mentor, we are not going to push the request until we wrap up 
  what we need to do for the next release. Once we have finished up work 
  and  are ready to set up a vote we will push harder to invite another
  mentor to help us with the process. We anticipate having a lot of
  questions around the release process.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Since having pushed through some stagnant pull requests we have noticed a 
  little more activity. We are trying out different ways to make it easier 
  for developers to contribute. We are talking to users to understand what 
  pieces of Spot are important to them.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  We have identified issues we think would block our release; mainly around 
  the ease of installation and use. We are doing some documentation 
  write-ups and code updates to make the Install process easier. We’re also
  testing out setup on a VM with the aim to make it easier for developers to
  contribute.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-09-08

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-01-18

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Holding off on pushing for more mentors until we are ready to start the 
  official release process.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](spot) Uma Maheswara Rao G
     Comments: Project is seeking for additional mentors. 

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Superset

Superset is an enterprise-ready web application for data exploration, data
visualization and dashboarding.

Superset has been incubating since 2017-05-21.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
  1. Project operations - There are 3 specific issues that have been 
  brought to our attention that we are committed to addressing:
  Discussions happening offline from dev@superset.incubator.apache.org 
  (more  below under issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board should be
  aware of)
  Unapproved releases (more below under issues that the Incubator PMC or 
  ASF Board should be aware of)
  Trademark - Some research has been conducted here 
  
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH/issues/PODLINGNAME
  SEARCH-124 , but more details have been requested. The expected format 
  output described is not very prescriptive. Just commented asking for a 
  example of a well executed name search. 
  2. Plan and execute our first Apache release.  Though we have been in 
  incubation for a year and a half, we are committed to planning and 
  following through on our first Apache release together with the community 
  by kicking off a discussion thread on dev@superset.incubator.apache.org  
  to align on the deliverables for the first Apache release.
  3. Align on a long-term product roadmap with the broader Apache Superset 
  community.  As a part of planning our first Apache release, we would also 
  like to build out the high-level roadmap for the project with a look 
  ahead of 1 year.  We plan to create this by starting a discussion thread 
  on dev@superset.incubator.apache.org  to work collaboratively on a vision 
  and roadmap for 2019.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware 
of?
  * Discussions happening offline from email - The 
  dev@superset.incubator.apache.org email list has not been very active as 
  a channel of discussion.  To be clear, this is both a result of 1) when
  the list started, GitHub spammed the email list with notifications and 
  our hypothesis is that many people filtered this email alias 2) the Apache 
  email list does not support images making it challenging to support a 
  project that is UI-heavy as a tool for data visualization and 3) other 
  communication channels are being used to compliment the email list.  On 
  #3, there is an open bi-weekly meeting for contributors and committers to 
  discuss issues (no decisions are made here - please see the update on 
  SIPs in the project development section) and while the link to the Google
  Doc with the notes was posted to the dev@superset.incubator.apache.org
  email list, we could have done a better job of posting the notes from the 
  meetings and we recognize that it is more challenging for some community 
  members who live in other timezones to participate.  There are also two 
  reasonably active forums for live discussions (Slack Group 
  http://apache-superset.slack.com and Gitter Channel 
  https://gitter.im/airbnb/superset) however, we now know that casual 
  conversations should only happen on these channels and that the majority 
  of the discussion needs to happen via email.  As a next step, we will
  have an initial meeting with the Mentors, PPMC and Committers on 
Thursday, 
  December 13th to figure out what it takes to address this issue and help
  get the project on track.  We will also use this meeting as an opportunity
  to align across the PPMC and Committers about our obligations and
  responsibilities as well as to receive coaching from our Mentors on the
  Apache Way.
  * Unapproved releases - Currently, committers working on the project have 
  not been following the proper procedures in discussing the content of 
  releases on the dev@superset.incubator.apache.org email list nor have we 
  been consistent in bringing releases to a vote.  This negatively impacts 
  the ability of other community members to participate.  We were uncertain 
  how to manage the LICENSE/COPYRIGHT files and how they relate to 
  convenience releases and we have struggled to understand how to proceed 
  with the name search requirement.  That said, it doesn’t justify pushing 
  a release forward and at a minimum we will discontinue this practice.  We 
  will also discuss this with our Mentors on 12/13 to receive coaching on 
  this topic.
  * As mentioned earlier, having an Apache email list that doesn’t support 
  images makes it very challenging for our project.  We would be interested 
  to know if the ASF Infrastructure Team has any plans to address this.
  * We currently only have 3 active PMCs (1 inactive).  We should strive to 
  add more PMCs to the project.

How has the community developed since the last report?
  * Organic growth of our Github contributors (274->306), forks 
(3627->3974), 
  watchers (1077->1157) and stars (20,519->22,097)
  * Added Krist Wongsuphasawat as a new committer.

How has the project developed since the last report?
  * We have been intentional in discussing and voting on issues using 
  GitHub (for SIPs) as it supports images (a current challenge with the
  Apache email listserv) and held votes for them on the
  dev@superset.incubator.apache.org list
  * Faster, easier editing of datasources (adding new metrics, dimensions, 
  metadata) - We've now added the ability to modify datasources directly 
  from the Explore view. 
  * New time range filter with added simple default options, and relative 
  date filters.
  * Url shortener for dashboards, for easier sharing.
  * Improvements to the visualize flow - You can now go from a sql query 
  right to a chart without needing to configure columns.
  * A healthy, constant flow of bug fixes, quality improvements and new
  features, take a look at the project’s Pulse on Github for more details

How does the podling rate their own maturity.
[ ] Initial setup
[X] Working towards first release
[ ] Community building
[ ] Nearing graduation
[ ] Other:

Date of last release:
  No official release yet since being voted into Apache
  Incubation.  (Planning for the first Apache release in Q1, 2019)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  * Krist Wongsuphasawat - Committer (2018-11-06)

Signed-off-by:
[ ](superset) Ashutosh Chauhan
    Comments:
[ ](superset) Luke Han
    Comments:
[X](superset) Alan Gates
    Comments: This is a very nice detailed report, thanks.  

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
    Justin Mclean: Thanks for recognising the issues this project faces
    and taking steps towards fixing them.

--------------------
Taverna

Taverna is a domain-independent suite of tools used to design and execute
data-driven workflows.

Taverna has been incubating since 2014-10-20.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Re-engage PPMC members
  2. Fix licence issues
  3. Graduate

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?
  INFRA-16698 moved 2 repos out of Apache git although they are still
  listed on https://git.apache.org/.

How has the community developed since the last report?

How has the project developed since the last report?
  Clearing up the last couple of licence issues and merging or
  removing pull requests. Project is ready for graduation
  although more activity from PPMC and members would be good.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [x] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-01-18

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-02-26 (PPMC)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Mentors are helpful but a bit thin on the ground. Overly reliant on
  a small number of them.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](taverna) Andy Seaborne
     Comments:

  The project has two mentors showing any level of activity although as
  the project is "about to graduate" it should be almost self-sufficent.
  Graduation is possible though close to the minimum requirements;
  more active PPMC members would be very helpful.

  Due to lack of time I have to resign as mentor.

  [ ](taverna) Marlon Pierce
     Comments:
  [x](taverna) Stian Soiland-Reyes
     Comments: 
  PPMC has increased activity levels and are resolving remaining licensing 
  issues.
  Agree with Andy that more of the PPMC members being active would be ideal.

  [ ](taverna) Suresh Srinivas
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Tephra

Tephra is a system for providing globally consistent transactions
on top of Apache HBase and other storage engines.

Tephra has been incubating since 2016-03-07.

Two most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Improve community engagement
  2. Increase adoption

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  - None at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - 1 new subscriber in dev mailing list since the last report

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - Working on 0.16.0-incubating release

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-09-04

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - None since coming to incubation

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  - Mentors are helpful and responsive

Signed-off-by:

  [X](tephra) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [X](tephra) James Taylor
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Warble

a distributed endpoint monitoring solution where the agent is hosted on your
own hardware.

Warble has been incubating since 2018-06-11.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Engage initial committers.
  2. Set core design and feature set, avoid creep of new features before
  the core is complete.
  3. Expand committers and community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Chris Lambertus has fully moved to role as mentor.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Development is still slow with plans to better engage
  our existing devs.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  NA

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  NA

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  NA

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](warble) Daniel Takamori
     Comments:
  [X](warble) Chris Lambertus
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Zipkin

Zipkin is a distributed tracing system. It helps gather timing data needed 
to troubleshoot latency problems in microservice architectures.

Zipkin has been incubating since 2018-08-29.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Finalize the migration of the GitHub repositories
  2. Wrap up and agree upon release process, the draft discussion has been 
  started already
  3. Plan to integrate one of the repositories (zipkin-karaf) with Apache 
  CI (Jenkins)

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  The podling is presently blocked on INFRA-16989 however from the ASF
  side all concerns are cleared out.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  The workshop regarding major Zipkin UI rework in planned on 3-7 of 
  December, 2018.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Not much progress to report since the repositories have not been migrated 
  yet.
  The new mentor, Sheng Wu, has joined the project. Also, the team has 
  established a process to reflect project updates which is to create a 
  wiki at the same time as the incubator reports (called LastMonthInZipkin).

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-11-16

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.
  
  Not much involvement from the mentors for the past month.  

Signed-off-by:

  [X](zipkin) Michael Semb Wever
     Comments:
  [ ](zipkin) John D. Ament
     Comments:
  [ ](zipkin) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments:
  [X](zipkin) Andriy Redko
     Comments:
  [x](zipkin) Sheng Wu
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

December2018 (last edited 2018-12-12 02:34:58 by vongosling)