Incubator PMC report for February 2017

Timeline

Wed February 01

Podling reports due by end of day

Sun February 05

Shepherd reviews due by end of day

Sun February 05

Summary due by end of day

Tue February 07

Mentor signoff due by end of day

Wed February 08

Report submitted to Board

Wed February 15

Board meeting

Shepherd Assignments

Drew Farris

CarbonData

Drew Farris

Toree

John Ament

Edgent

John Ament

OpenWhisk

Justin Mclean

Sirona

P. Taylor Goetz

DistributedLog

P. Taylor Goetz

ODF Toolkit

P. Taylor Goetz

S2Graph

Timothy Chen

DataFu

Timothy Chen

SystemML

Timothy Chen

Tamaya

[none]

Blur

[none]

Fineract

[none]

Fluo

[none]

Guacamole

[none]

Impala

[none]

Joshua

[none]

Milagro

[none]

MXNet

[none]

PredictionIO

[none]

Ratis

[none]

RocketMQ

[none]

SensSoft

[none]

Slider

[none]

Spot

[none]

Unomi

[none]

Weex

[none]

iota

Report content

Incubator PMC report for February 2017

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and
codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.

< narrative >

* Community

  New IPMC members:

  - Markus Weimer

  People who left the IPMC:



* New Podlings

  - MXNet
  - Ratis

* Graduations

  The board has motions for the following:



* Releases

  The following releases entered distribution during the month of
  January:

  - 2017-01-03 Apache Juneau 6.0.1
  - 2017-01-07 Apache Carbondata 0.2.0
  - 2017-01-17 Apache Fineract 0.6.0
  - 2017-01-20 Apahce Impala 2.8.0
  - 2017-01-24 Apache Gossip 0.1.1
  - 2017-01-24 Apache Mnemonic 0.4.0
  - 2017-01-28 Apache Atlas 0.7.1
  - 2017-01-28 Apache Carbondata 1.0.0
  

* IP Clearance



* Legal / Trademarks



* Infrastructure



* Miscellaneous



* Credits

  - Report Manager:

-------------------- Summary of podling reports --------------------

* Still getting started at the Incubator



* Not yet ready to graduate

  No release:



  Community growth:



* Ready to graduate

  The Board has motions for the following:



* Did not report, expected next month



----------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Table of Contents
Blur
CarbonData
DataFu
DistributedLog
Edgent
Fineract
Fluo
Guacamole
Impala
iota
Joshua
Milagro
MXNet
ODF Toolkit
OpenWhisk
PredictionIO
Ratis
RocketMQ
S2Graph
SensSoft
Sirona
Slider
Spot
SystemML
Tamaya
Toree
Unomi
Weex

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
Blur

Blur is a search platform capable of searching massive amounts of data
in a cloud computing environment.

Blur has been incubating since 2012-07-24.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Greater community involvement.
 2. Produce releases.
 3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  No

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Subscriptions: user@ - 61[-1]; dev@ - 77[-1]
  The community involvement has not really changed over the past few
  months.

How has the project developed since the last report?

- Nothing has changed since the last report.

Date of last release:

 2014-07-29

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

 2014-07-28


Signed-off-by:

  [ ](blur) Doug Cutting
  [ ](blur) Patrick Hunt
  [ ](blur) Tim Williams

Shepherd/Mentor notes:

  johndament:
    Sent a note to the podling RE lack of change in status.  Asked to contemplate retirement.

--------------------
Apache CarbonData is an indexed columnar data format for fast analytics on big data platform, e.g.Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, etc.

CarbonData has been incubating since 2016-06-02.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

   1. Already finished 4 apache releases and all driven by different release managers. 
   2. The community is growing well: 
        a. There are more than 60+ contributors from different organizations, increasing the diversity. 
        b. Increased mailing list activity, the solutions be discussed by mailing list and users can get efficient 
           helps to quickly solve their issues by mailing list
   3. Finish all INFRA built:  github, CI, website, Cwiki and so on.

 We think we are very close to the graduation and we are focused on the last steps for the graduation.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?

 None

How has the community developed since the last report?

Increased mailing list activity: solutions be discussed and decided in mailing list.
More than 20+ new contributors from different organizations since November.
Organized two meetup, the attendees was more than 100+.
There are more than 10+ organizations decided to use Apache CarbonData and 6 of them already formally deployed in business system.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Since November 1,306 issues+ have been reported on JIRA site and 294 have been resolved or closed. Since November 1,282+ pull requests have been     created and 268+ pull requests have been closed. 
Finished a new release 1.0.0, which improved the ecosystem integration with Apache Hadoop,Apache Spark,Apache Flink.
Created Jenkins CI and Travis CI.
Created the website: http://carbondata.incubator.apache.org.
Finished podling suitable names search, and the name of "Apache CarbonData" got approved.(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-117)

Date of last release:

2017-01-29

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

we elected Kumar Vishal as new committer on 2016-10-15.

we are discussing a new PMC on the private mailing list.

Signed-off-by:

 [X] (carbondata) Henry Saputra
 [X] (carbondata) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
 [ ] (carbondata) Uma Maheswara Rao G

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
DataFu

DataFu provides a collection of Hadoop MapReduce jobs and functions in higher
level languages based on it to perform data analysis. It provides functions
for common statistics tasks (e.g. quantiles, sampling), PageRank, stream
sessionization, and set and bag operations. DataFu also provides Hadoop jobs
for incremental data processing in MapReduce.

DataFu has been incubating since 2014-01-05.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Resolve NOTICE and LICENSE issues for binary distributions
  2. Continued releases
  3. Increased committer activity

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Received a patch from a new contributor.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  No updates

Date of last release:

  2016-08-10

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  July 2016 (Eyal Allweil)

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](datafu) Ashutosh Chauhan
  [ ](datafu) Roman Shaposhnik
  [ ](datafu) Ted Dunning

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
DistributedLog

DistributedLog is a high-performance replicated log service. It offers
durability, replication and strong consistency, which provides a fundamental
building block for building reliable distributed systems.

DistributedLog has been incubating since 2016-06-24.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

1.Continue to grow the community, and increase diversity of community.
2.Improve documentation, including documentation of project and processes.
3.Successful releases.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

1. Increase in contributions from community.
   - 127 created and 103 resolved issues in community JIRA between Nov 2016 and Feb 2017.
2. Lots of engagements on feature proposals - 7 improvement proposals.
3. Increased traffic on the mailing list, in particular, due to committers
engaging more actively with contributors.
   - we have 43 people subscribed mail list.

How has the project developed since the last report?

The community is voting for release 0.4.0-incubating. 

Date of last release:

None

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

N/A


Signed-off-by:

  [ ](distributedlog) Flavio Junqueira
  [ ](distributedlog) Chris Nauroth
  [X](distributedlog) Henry Saputra

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Edgent

Edgent is a stream processing programming model and lightweight runtime to
execute analytics at devices on the edge or at the gateway.

Edgent has been incubating since 2016-02-29.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

   1. Create and expand a diverse community of contributors and committers around the Edgent project
   2. Checking of all items in the project's Maturity Model (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDGENT/Apache+Maturity+Model+For+Edgent)
   3. Create a second release of Apache Edgent with additional features and fixes.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

   No

How has the community developed since the last report?

   * A well attended meetup in San Francisco, CA about Apache Edgent was held on January 18th. It covered introductory concepts of datastreaming, the positioning of Edgent in the datastreaming universe, and examples and use cases of Edgent. The meetup was attended by roughly 40 developers.
     "Apache Edgent: Datastreaming and Analytics for IoT Devices "
     https://www.meetup.com/SF-Data-Science/events/236682354/

    * There has been at least one question both asked and answered on Stackoverflow by a non-committer non-PPMC member of the community. (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41280097/joining-streams-of-different-types-in-apache-edgent)
   
    * Since the last report, at least 5 individuals have subscribed to the Apache Edgent dev mailing list.

How has the project developed since the last report?

   * The first release of Edgent as part of the Apache incubator was created on 2016-12-15. This represents a large amount of work, including numerous improvements to connectors, the console, and a complete overhaul of the build system to use Gradle.

   *According to JIRA, the project has added the following:

       * November 2016: 6 new issues; 18 issues resolved. 

       * December: 18 new issues; 29 issues resolved.
  
       * January: 15 new issues; 12 issues resolved

Date of last release:

  * The most recent release of Apache Edgent was 2016-12-15.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

   * In May 2016, we added two new committers and PPMC members, Kathy Saunders and Queenie Ma.



Signed-off-by:

  [ ](edgent) Daniel Debrunner
  [ ](edgent) Luciano Resende
  [X](edgent) Katherine Marsden
  [X](edgent) Justin Mclean

Shepherd/Mentor notes:
kmarsden - Checking of the Maturity model is not yet complete and is just being used as an aid to help assess our progress.  Hopefully now that we have a release and with the meetup we will have more people get interested and involved. The active development community, while still small seems to be communicating well on the list and it was great to see the release.

jmclean - Great work on the release, project progressing along well.


--------------------
Fineract

Fineract is an open source system for core banking as a platform.

Fineract has been incubating since 2015-12-15.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Addressing areas of concern raised by community based on our Maturity Evaluation including:
    * Full documentation of our release management process
    * Implementation of Findbugs to show commitment to quality of code
    * Preparation of our community to respond any security threats or vulnerabilities that are reported.
    * Improvement of backwards compatibility of APIs and communication of breaking changes with each release.
    * Updating Apache Fineract webpage with latest releases. 
  2. Adding new committers and contributors to the project.  
  3. Continuing to move over additional documentation and providing full clarity to our community on how and where to report issues via the issue tracker.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?



How has the community developed since the last report?

* Community continues to stay strongly engaged on the mailing lists with active reporting of issues via the mailing list and issue tracker. 


How has the project developed since the last report?

* The community has made 2 additional releases since the last report.
 * Our second release was made on December 21, 2016 with three binding votes from the community.
 * Our third release was made on January 17, 2017  with three binding votes from the community. 



Date of last release:

  2017-01-17

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  
  2016-05-16


Signed-off-by:

  [ ](fineract) Ross Gardler
  [ ](fineract) Greg Stein
  [ ](fineract) Roman Shaposhnik

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Fluo

Fluo is a distributed system for incrementally processing large data sets
stored in Accumulo.

Fluo has been incubating since 2016-05-17.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Attract new contributors and users
  2. Additional releases
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

 None

How has the community developed since the last report?

 * Its been quiet.

How has the project developed since the last report?

 * Wrote two blog post to help raise awareness of Fluo.
   - http://fluo.apache.org/blog/2016/12/22/spark-load/
   - http://fluo.apache.org/blog/2016/11/10/immutable-bytes/
 * Made many improvements and bug fixes. Need to start planning for next release.
 * Experimented with setting Apache Logo as twitter header.  Shared this with members list and a few other Apache projects did something similar. https://twitter.com/apachefluo


Date of last release:

   2016-10-28

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Never

Signed-off-by:

  [x](fluo) Billie Rinaldi
  [ ](fluo) Drew Farris
  [ ](fluo) Josh Elser

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Guacamole

Guacamole is an enterprise-grade, protocol-agnostic, remote desktop gateway.
Combined with cloud hosting, Guacamole provides an excellent alternative to
traditional desktops. Guacamole aims to make cloud-hosted desktop access
preferable to traditional, local access.

Guacamole has been incubating since 2016-02-10.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Identifying contributors with merit warranting committership
  2. Engaging mentors to assess podling status and provide guidance
  3. Ensuring mentors are subscribed to the lists and are generally aware of
     podling status/activities

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  Not at present.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Frequency and complexity of contributions seem to be increasing. Community
  presence and activity on the mailing lists has also increased due to the use
  of Nabble to provide a forum-like interface.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  The project has succeeded in producing its first release under the Incubator,
  0.9.10-incubating, and the process is already underway for producing the
  next, with the IPMC vote for release having been started on 2017-01-26.

  With the first release out of the way, development is finally moving
  smoothly again. We have adopted a branching workflow which allows development
  to continue unhindered, with only the release scope being frozen.

Date of last release:

  2016-12-29 (0.9.10-incubating)

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  The most recent committer, Frode Langelo, was accepted into the
  project by VOTE on 2016-04-03, with the required ICLA received on
  2016-04-05.

  As of the VOTE on 2016-12-09, all committers are implicitly members of the
  PPMC.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](guacamole) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
  [ ](guacamole) Daniel Gruno
  [ ](guacamole) Olivier Lamy
  [X](guacamole) Jim Jagielski
  [X](guacamole) Greg Trasuk 

Shepherd/Mentor notes:

Greg Trasuk - - Watching the dev list, I've seen good discussions of features and engagement of users and potential developers.  Community seems to be operating well and making decisions on-list.

--------------------
Impala

Impala is a high-performance C++ and Java SQL query engine for data stored in
Apache Hadoop-based clusters.

Impala has been incubating since 2015-12-03.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Community growth
  2. Transition of bug tracker to issues.apache.org
  3. Evolution of documentation to describe specifically Apache Impala

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  No

How have the community and project developed since the last report?

  Our last report was in November. Since then, there have been 148
  commits. 49 commits were authored by non-committers, of which 4 new
  commits come from 3 new contributors. dev@ received 496 emails and
  user@ received 53. 443 new issues have been filed. There has been one
  release (our second Apache release) and we have added one new PPMC
  member. Our infrastructure has been transitioning: we moved our
  pre-commit testing out of our old, pre-Apache hosting and we have been
  actively working with Gavin McDonald on migrating our JIRA hosting.

Date of last release:

  2017-01-22

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2017-01-12

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](impala) Tom White
  [x](impala) Todd Lipcon
  [ ](impala) Carl Steinbach
  [ ](impala) Brock Noland

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
iota

Open source system that enables the orchestration of IoT devices.

iota has been incubating since 2016-01-20.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Getting a release out based on the current code base - will will commit to do that this quarter
  2. Using the mailing list to discuss current and future development and needs - we commit more regular dialogue on the mailing list
  3. Growing the community - we have been slow to get off the ground and need to put more effort in here - we will commit to do more outreach to grow the community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?  We realize we have been a little slow is getting off the ground as an Apache Project. I have spoken to Hadrian Zbarcea and explained to him why this has been the case. We are really committed to iota as a technology and commit to put more effort into making this a successful project.



How has the community developed since the last report?
No - we need to spend time on this and we will do so.


How has the project developed since the last report?
We have added global performers


Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
Yes - Barbara Gomes was added as a committer on 12/02/2016


Signed-off-by:

  [ ](iota) Daniel Gruno
  [ ](iota) Sterling Hughes
  [ ](iota) Justin Mclean
  [ ](iota) Hadrian Zbarcea

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Joshua

Joshua is a statistical machine translation toolkit

Joshua has been incubating since 2016-02-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Putting together a formal release.
  2. Identifying specific use cases that we might excel at.
  3. Attracting active developers and users.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None that come to mind.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  We have added some new members. The Joshua PPMC has also
  been VOTE'ing actively and have received (and are acting upon)
  feedback from the IPMC on our mlst recent release candidate.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Things have stalled a bit over the winter holidays, but we have recently started to pick things up again. As always, a release is imminent.

Date of last release:

  N/A.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Per http://incubator.apache.org/projects/joshua.html:

  - 2016-11-16 Michael A. Hedderich (mhedderich) joins the Joshua PPMC + Committership.
  - 2016-11-16 Tobias Domhan (tdomhan) joins the Joshua PPMC + Committership.
  - 2016-11-02 Max Thomas (mthomas) joins the Joshua PPMC + Committership.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](joshua) Paul Ramirez
  [X](joshua) Lewis John McGibbney
  [ ](joshua) Chris Mattmann
  [ ](joshua) Tom Barber
  [ ](joshua) Henri Yandell

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Milagro

Distributed Cryptography; M-Pin protocol for Identity and Trust

Milagro has been incubating since 2015-12-21.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1.
  2.
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?



How has the community developed since the last report?



How has the project developed since the last report?



Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?



Signed-off-by:

  [ ](milagro) Sterling Hughes
  [ ](milagro) Jan Willem Janssen
  [ ](milagro) Nick Kew

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
MXNet

MXNet is an open-source deep learning framework that allows you to define,
train, and deploy deep neural networks on a wide array of devices, from
cloud infrastructure to mobile devices. It is highly scalable, allowing
for fast model training, and supports a flexible programming model and
multiple languages.

MXNet has been incubating since 2017-01-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Getting ICLAs signed/private@ populated.
  2. Sharing documentation/mentor thoughts on being an Apache committer.
  3. Migrating the code/issues over to Apache.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. This is our first report.
  2. The mailing lists are created; with the dev@ list being well populated.
  3. ICLAs are being signed.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. Trademark review seems complete.
  2. A vendor, AWS, worked with Sally on a blog posting[1].

Date of last release:

  No Apache release yet; still being setup.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  At Proposal time. We have a few folk who asked to join the incubation
  proposal after the vote started and will be discussed once private@
  is populated.

[1] - https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/excited-about-mxnet-joining-apache/

Signed-off-by:

  [X](mxnet) Henri Yandell
  [X](mxnet) Markus Weimer
  [X](mxnet) Sebastian Schelter
  [X](mxnet) Suneel Marthi

Shepherd/Mentor notes:


--------------------
ODF Toolkit

Java modules that allow programmatic creation, scanning and manipulation of
OpenDocument Format (ISO/IEC 26300 == ODF) documents

ODF Toolkit has been incubating since 2011-08-01.

Most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Get companies backing up the project as part of a commercial story, to
     get a long-term momentum
  2. Do recurrent releases - some semi-automation would be helpful - for the
     3rd party users

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  A discussion has been started about the cancellation of the project due to
  lack of developers on the private odf-toolkit and private incubator list. 

  A general issue of the project is that it 'just' a toolkit of an office
  file format, which in addition is far from leading on the business market,
  so likely never being used by the mass market - a very niche product.

  Still the toolkit seems to be working well for most common use cases, but
  is repeatedly updated by developers on changes of the ODF, like Red Hat
  developers enhancing the ODF validator as part of LibreOffice regression
  tests (e.g. out-of-the-box running on http://odf-validator.rhcloud.com/)
  most often quite ahead of one of the international ODF Plugfests -
  http://odfplugfest.org/2016-paris/programme/. 

  Since there are still some game changing features in the pipeline (e.g.
  collaboration) which are expected to strengthen the acceptance and develop
  the community but on the other hand the mentorship / infrastructure of the
  project could be better, a decision needs to be made on the future.

How has the community developed since the last report?
 
  We clarified on the ApacheCon Europe that a merge with the Open-XChange
  fork is possible, which extended the original sources still using AL2 and
  having done several releases with the new AL2 sources.

  So, we are working on the next release including the fixes and planning a
  follow-up release adding new features.

  Those features should be able to attract companies to back the project.

  In addition, those will be used as reference implementation for the "OASIS
  Advanced Document Collaboration" subcommittee.

Date of last release:

  2013-06-22 (started release)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2015-10-05 - Damjan Jovanovic for Commiter/PPMC

Signed-off-by:
  [ ](odftoolkit) Nick Burch
  [ ](odftoolkit) Yegor Kozlov

Shepherd/Mentor notes:




--------------------
OpenWhisk

OpenWhisk is an open source, distributed Serverless computing platform able
to execute application logic (Actions) in response to events (Triggers) from
external sources (Feeds) or HTTP requests governed by conditional logic
(Rules). It provides a programming environment supported by a REST API-based
Command Line Interface (CLI) along with tooling to support packaging and
catalog services.

OpenWhisk has been incubating since 2016-11-23.


Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Moving github repos under the Apache Github Org (organization move, repository renames)
  2. Working to redirect openwhisk.incubator.apache.org to openwhisk.org, update openwhisk.org to be Apache compliant
  3. Review and update project checklist (http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openwhisk.html).

  Some items should be mark done (around infra), CLA's have been confirmed for all Committers. URL/links need to be updated.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?

  - No issues so far 

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - All Initial Committers now have ICLA’s and have access to private email list
  - Nearly all pre-Incubator active contributors have signed ICLAs, a few new contributor ICLAs have been received
  - Project GitHub (all repos.) now govern access via 3 “Teams” Committer (write), Contributor-CLA (read), Contributor (read/default)
  - “dev", “private” email list traffic continues to be healthy; positive discussion of a few new code feature/change topics
  - GitHub project “Stars” = 1024 (a nice binary number), up a couple dozen from last month 

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - Updated CONTRIBUTING.md to ref. Apache processes, Added CREDITS.txt to all repos., in process of changing all code headers to use Apache approved text. Need to update Travis CI checks to look for new header (per repo. basis)
  - Confluence WIKI established: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/OpenWhisk+Project+Wiki
    - added project overview and contributor/committer role/process descriptions
  - website updates continue, now include “Incubator” disclaimer, working issues opened by community to list “supporters” and provide a form to submit to request to be added.
  - deprecated “whisk” object for Nodejs6 runtime (javascript) actions/functions in favor of single dictionary and use of Nodejs built-in “promises”
  - Size limits discussed and being updated for per-request/response for actions (and sequences) to preserve performance/reliability
  - Discussing proposals for the proper use and optimization of KV stores for configurations information (along with Ansible for deployments)
  - API gateway moved to support LUA as plug-in model, added OAuth support. Client ID/secret validation, Dynamic upstream routing using Redis
  - An OpenWhisk plug-in contribution was accepted for the serverless.com framework (https://serverless.com/blog/openwhisk-integration-with-serverless/) 

Date of last release:

  - No release yet


When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - No activity


Signed-off-by:

  [ ](openwhisk) Felix Meschberger
  [ ](openwhisk) Isabel Drost-Fromm
  [ ](openwhisk) Sergio Fernández

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
PredictionIO

PredictionIO is an open source Machine Learning Server built on top of
a state-of-the-art open source stack, that enables developers to manage and
deploy production-ready predictive services for various kinds of machine
learning tasks.

PredictionIO has been incubating since 2016-05-26. The initial code for
PredictionIO was granted on 2016-06-16. The second grant of PredictionIO
templates and SDKs was granted on 2016-09-20.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Establish a formal release schedule and process, allowing for
dependable release cycles in a manner consistent with the Apache way.
  2. Grow the community to establish diversity of background.
  3. Transition remaining former PredictionIO users from google-groups to
ASF mailing lists.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. Both user and development mailing lists are more active than the last
report.
  2. There are major feature contributions from both new committers and the
community.
  3. The ecosystem around engine templates is gaining traction. There are
several new templates added to the engine template gallery.
  4. Local user groups are budding, e.g. Japan PredictionIO User Group.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. Several major feature contributions are under review.
  2. The second release is on track for early February release.
  3. There have been active discussions which have driven a solid roadmap
for future releases, especially centering around microservice architecture,
stateless builds, and running from anywhere with a centralized metadata
registry.

Date of the last release:

  Apache PredictionIO 0.10.0-incubating on 2016-10-17

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  Chan Lee was elected as committer and PMC member on Nov 14, 2016.
  Marcin Ziemiński was elected as committer and PMC member on Nov 14, 2016.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](predictionio) Andrew Purtell
  [ ](predictionio) James Taylor
  [ ](predictionio) Lars Hofhansl
  [x](predictionio) Luciano Resende
  [ ](predictionio) Xiangrui Meng
  [X](predictionio) Suneel Marthi

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Ratis

Ratis is a java implementation for RAFT consensus protocol. Ratis aims to make raft available as a java library that can be used by any system that needs to use a replicated log.

Ratis has been incubating since 2017-01-03.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Setup wiki, jenkins
  2. Start active development in Apache.
  3. Make the first release.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?
 - None

How has the community developed since the last report?
 - This is the first report, we are still bootstrapping. The mailing lists became available very recently.


How has the project developed since the last report?
 - This is the first report, we are still bootstrapping. We are working with INFRA to get committer access.


Date of last release:
  None

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  Only initial set of committers. This is the first report.


Signed-off-by:

  [ ](ratis) Chris Nauroth
  [ ](ratis) Devaraj Das
  [ ](ratis) Jakob Homan
  [ ](ratis) Uma Maheswara Rao G

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
RocketMQ

RocketMQ is a fast, low latency, reliable, scalable, distributed, easy to use
message-oriented middleware, especially for processing large amounts of
streaming data.

RocketMQ has been incubating since 2016-11-21.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the community
  2. Make our first Apache release
  3. Vote in our first committer / PMC members

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Several people have contributed a number of accepted PRs to the code base
  * Discussions are taking place on the dev@ mailing and traffic has increased
  * Development occurring at https://github.com/rocketmq is going to be brought
    back into the project
 * Increase in JIRA activity and 80% of raised issues resolved
 * Small lull in activity due to Chinese New Year

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Project been successfully moved to Apache infrastructure
  * Moved towards creating first Apache release

Date of last release:

  No releases yet but first release currently being discussed and will be voted on soon.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  No elections have taken place yet but discussions are taking place.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](rocketmq) Bruce Snyder
  [ ](rocketmq) Brian McCallister
  [ ](rocketmq) Willem Ning Jiang
  [ ](rocketmq) Luke Han
  [ ](rocketmq) Justin McLean

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
S2Graph

S2Graph is a distributed and scalable OLTP graph database built on Apache
HBase to support fast traversal of extremely large graphs.

S2Graph has been incubating since 2015-11-29.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Make a second release.
  2. Attract more users and contributors.
  3. Build the developer community in both size and diversity.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Participated in Apache Big Data and ApacheCon Europe, Sevilla, Spain. 
    - Core: https://apachebigdataeu2016.sched.com/event/8U0O/graph-processing-with-apache-tinkerpop-on-apache-s2graph-doyung-yoon-kakao-corp
    - Use case: https://apachebigdataeu2016.sched.com/event/8U0P/apache-s2graph-incubating-as-a-user-event-hub-hyunsung-jo-daewon-jeong-hwansung-yu-kakao-corp

  * Discussion regarding adding new committers is in progress. 

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Integration with Apache TinkerPop3 has begun.

  * Discussion regarding second release is in progress.

  * Issues created - resolved: 25 - 19

Date of last release:

  Apache S2Graph 0.1.0-incubating on 2016-11-01.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  None

Signed-off-by:

  [X](s2graph) Andrew Purtell
  [ ](s2graph) Seetharam Venkatesh
  [X](s2graph) Sergio Fernández

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
SensSoft

SensSoft is a software tool usability testing platform

SensSoft has been incubating since 2016-07-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Moving towards the first Incubating release of the source code and other
   release artifacts.
 2. Grow the Apache SensSoft (Incubating) community.
 3. Complete the issues highlighted at the SensSoft Roadmap
    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENSSOFT/Roadmap

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

No

How has the community developed since the last report?

SensSoft has seen increased uptake in ongoing DARPA projects meaning
that there is increased opportunity for adoption as the Podling matures
and aims for the first incubating release.

How has the project developed since the last report?

The PPMC have developed a stunning/killer Website which embeds a demo
http://senssoft.incubator.apache.org
The codebase has seen a bunch of commits and we are ready to move towards
the first incubating release.

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Arthi Vezhavendan was added to PPMC and Committer base on 2017-01-24

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](senssoft) Paul Ramirez
  [X](senssoft) Lewis John McGibbney
  [ ](senssoft) Chris Mattmann

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Sirona

Monitoring Solution.

Sirona has been incubating since 2013-10-15.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1.
  2.
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?



How has the community developed since the last report?



How has the project developed since the last report?



Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?



Signed-off-by:

  [ ](sirona) Olivier Lamy
  [ ](sirona) Henri Gomez
  [ ](sirona) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
  [ ](sirona) Tammo van Lessen
  [ ](sirona) Mark Struberg

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------

Slider

Slider is a collection of tools and technologies to package, deploy, and
manage long running applications on Apache Hadoop YARN clusters.

Slider has been incubating since 2014-04-29.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Apache Slider community/PPMC has voted to move portions of Slider into
    Apache Hadoop YARN as modules. It is possible that the remaining pieces
    will be moved at a later point in time or become obsolete or evolve to
    work closely with YARN. Slider PPMC will decide what makes the most
    sense as we progress through this exciting time.
 2. Getting more external users
 3. Growth of a diverse set of developers/committers/PMC members is also
    crucial towards the final state of Slider

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

 No.

How has the community developed since the last report?

There has been one new contributor since the last report. Mailing list
activity has been lower due to the bulk of the development moving to
an Apache Hadoop branch, but the lists are still active.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Work continues in parallel on the Apache Hadoop yarn-native-services
branch and on the Slider podling. The bulk of the work has been in
yarn-native-services, while a few Slider patches (related to critical
issues or agent-only issues) have been committed as well.

Date of last release:

 2016-06-28 slider-0.91.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

 2015-07-07: Yu (Thomas) Liu

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](slider) Arun C Murthy
  [ ](slider) Devaraj Das
  [ ](slider) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
  [ ](slider) Mahadev Konar

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Spot

Apache Spot is a platform for network telemetry built on an open data model
and Apache Hadoop.

Spot has been incubating since 2016-09-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1.
  2.
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?



How has the community developed since the last report?



How has the project developed since the last report?



Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?



Signed-off-by:

  [ ](spot) Jarek Jarcec Cecho
  [ ](spot) Brock Noland
  [ ](spot) Andrei Savu
  [ ](spot) Uma Maheswara Rao G

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
SystemML

SystemML provides declarative large-scale machine learning (ML) that aims at
flexible specification of ML algorithms and automatic generation of hybrid
runtime plans ranging from single node, in-memory computations, to distributed
computations running on Apache Hadoop MapReduce and Apache Spark.

SystemML has been incubating since 2015-11-02.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow SystemML community: increase mailing list activity,
   increase adoption of SystemML for scalable machine learning, encourage
   data scientists to adopt DML and PyDML algorithm scripts, respond to
   user feedback to ensure SystemML meets the requirements of real-world
   situations, write papers, and present talks about SystemML.
  2. Continue to produce releases.
  3. Increase the diversity of our project's contributors and committers.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?
 NONE.

How has the community developed since the last report?
 Our mailing list from November through January had 249 messages on a variety
 of topics. We gained 2 new contributors to the project since November 1. On
 GitHub, the project has been starred 451 times and forked 168 times. Elgamal
 et al wrote the paper "SPOOF: Sum-Product Optimization and Operator Fusion
 for Large-Scale Machine Learning," which was presented at CIDR'17 in January.

How has the project developed since the last report?
 The main project has had 114 commits since November 1. 90 pull requests have
 been created since November 1, and 79 pull requests have been closed. Since
 November 1, 143 issues have been reported on our JIRA site and 64 of these
 have been resolved or closed.

Date of last release:

  2016-11-13 (version 0.11.0-incubating)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 2017-01-19 Nakul Jindal (Committer and PPMC)


Signed-off-by:

  [x](systemml) Henry Saputra
  [x](systemml) Luciano Resende
  [ ](systemml) Patrick Wendell
  [ ](systemml) Reynold Xin
  [ ](systemml) Rich Bowen

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Tamaya

Tamaya is a highly flexible configuration solution based on an modular,
extensible and injectable key/value based design, which should provide a
minimal but extendible modern and functional API leveraging SE, ME and EE
environments.

Tamaya has been incubating since 2014-11-14.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Extend Community
  2. Improve Documentation / finish new homepage
  3. Start graduation after 0.3 is out

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

We are thinking about graduating after the next release since our new
homepage contains information about many new features and we do have a
new module structure.

How has the community developed since the last report?

On conferences and after Oracle dropped the configuration JSR many
conversations started about Configuration in the Java world.
Apart from bugfixes the main new features is basic OSGi support
(currently still in development in sandbox module).

Weekly hangouts (monday 8pm Berlin time) take place to have shorter
feedback cycles, minutes are communicated via mail.

How has the project developed since the last report?

The infrastructure runs much more smoothly with the new module
structure: core, extensions, sandbox and a separate project for the
homepage based on jBake.

OSGi support is a big thing since different OSGi containers have their
problems. Good contact to Apache Karaf developers.

New homepage with new structure and more information available as
prototype via: https://tamaya.apache.org/jbake/ Homepage is connected to
its repository via gitpubsub.

Date of last release:

  2016-04-06

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  P. Ottlinger at 2016-04-24.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](tamaya) John D. Ament
  [ ](tamaya) David Blevins

Shepherd/Mentor notes:

  johndament:
    Podling is having some initial conversations around graduation.

--------------------
Toree

Toree provides applications with a mechanism to interactively and remotely
access Apache Spark. It enables interactive workloads between applications
and a Spark cluster. As a Jupyter Notebook extension, it provides the user
with a preconfigured environment for interacting with Spark using Scala, 
Python, R or SQL.

Toree has been incubating since 2015-12-02.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

1. Make a release: The community is working on RC from 0.1.x branch.
   Master has moved to start support for Spark 2.0. Currently working on RC5.
2. Grow a diverse community: We should put some emphasis on growing the
   community and making it diverse (the rule is at least three independent
   contributors) In progress.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

 NONE

How has the community developed since the last report?

 1. Active communication in mailing list and gitter with early adopters
 2. Migrated gitter to away from ibm-et/spark-kernel to apache/toree
 3. More external contributions being made. Mainly focused on master to
stabilize Spark 2.0 support

How has the project developed since the last report?

1. Still working on 1st release.  Removed several legacy binaries from
   release builds that were not in compliance with Apache release processes.
   Will be starting the vote for RC5 shortly
2. Addressing issues opened by community

Date of last release:

 None since incubation.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

 No new additions since incubation


Signed-off-by:

  [X](toree) Luciano Resende
  [ ](toree) Reynold Xin
  [ ](toree) Hitesh Shah
  [ ](toree) Julien Le Dem

Shepherd/Mentor notes:



--------------------
Unomi

Unomi is a reference implementation of the OASIS Context Server specification
currently being worked on by the OASIS Context Server Technical Committee. It
provides a high-performance user profile and event tracking server.

Unomi has been incubating since 2015-10-05.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Stable release with extended tests
  2. Promote the project and grow up the community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  The PPMC voted two new committers on  the project: Damien Gaillard and Abdelkader Midani.

  We expect traction around the coming release and new updated on the website (factual use cases).

How has the project developed since the last report?

  After the 1.1.0-incubating release, we are now preparing 1.2.0-incubating release. 

  We improved the tests coverage, including performance benchmark (tests have been performed with 5M of profiles, and 35M events for instance).

Date of last release:

  2016-10-03

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  2017-01-23

Signed-off-by:

  [X](unomi) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
  [ ](unomi) Bertrand Delacretaz

Shepherd/Mentor notes:


--------------------
Weex

Weex is a framework for building Mobile cross-platform high performance UI.

Weex has been incubating since 2016-11-30.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1.
  2.
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?



How has the community developed since the last report?



How has the project developed since the last report?



Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?



Signed-off-by:

  [ ](weex) Luke Han
  [ ](weex) Willem Jiang
  [ ](weex) Stephan Ewen
  [ ](weex) Niclas Hedhman

Shepherd/Mentor notes: