/!\ FINAL /!\

Incubator PMC report for March 2018

Timeline

Wed March 07

Podling reports due by end of day

Sun March 11

Shepherd reviews due by end of day

Sun March 11

Summary due by end of day

Tue March 13

Mentor signoff due by end of day

Wed March 14

Report submitted to Board

Wed March 21

Board meeting

Shepherd Assignments

Dave Fisher

Gearpump

Dave Fisher

HTrace

Drew Farris

AriaTosca

Drew Farris

PLC4X

John Ament

Nemo

John Ament

Taverna

Justin Mclean

Crail

P. Taylor Goetz

Dubbo

P. Taylor Goetz

SINGA

P. Taylor Goetz

ServiceComb

Timothy Chen

Griffin

Timothy Chen

Omid

Timothy Chen

SkyWalking

[none]

Daffodil

[none]

Druid

[none]

ECharts

[none]

Hivemall

[none]

Milagro

[none]

Myriad

[none]

OpenWhisk

[none]

Pony Mail

[none]

Pulsar

[none]

Quickstep

[none]

SAMOA

[none]

Slider

[none]

Spot

[none]

Superset

[none]

Tephra

Report content

Incubator PMC report for March 2018

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and
codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.

There are currently 54 podlings under incubation.  We added 1 new IPMC member, 3 new podlings and executed on 4 releases.  The HTrace report indicates retirement in flight.

* Community

  New IPMC members:

  - Timothy Chen

  People who left the IPMC:



* New Podlings

  - Druid
  - Dubbo
  - Nemo

* Podlings that failed to report, expected next month

  - Gearpump
  - Hivemall
  - Milagro
  - Pony Mail
  - Quickstep
  - SINGA

* Graduations

  The board has motions for the following:

  - Freemarker

* Releases

  The following releases entered distribution during the month of
  February:

  - 2018-02-05 Apache Livy 0.5.0 
  - 2018-02-15 Apache Netbeans 9.0 beta
  - 2018-02-19 Apache PonyMail 0.10.0
  - 2018-02-19 Apache MXNet 1.1.0

* IP Clearance



* Legal / Trademarks

  - See Daffodil's report related to open legal questions.
  - See SkyWalking's report for open questions around optional modules under discussion on legal lists.

* Infrastructure



* Miscellaneous



* Credits

----------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Table of Contents
AriaTosca
Crail
Druid
Dubbo
ECharts
Griffin
HTrace
Myriad
Nemo
Omid
OpenWhisk
PLC4X
Pulsar
Quickstep
SAMOA
ServiceComb
SkyWalking
Slider
Spot
Superset
Taverna
Tephra

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
AriaTosca

ARIA TOSCA project offers an easily consumable Software Development Kit(SDK)
and a Command Line Interface(CLI) to implement TOSCA(Topology and
Orchestration Specification of Cloud Applications) based solutions.

AriaTosca has been incubating since 2016-08-27.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the community and enroll new committers.
  2. Have (more) frequent Release cycles to be compliant with the Apache Way.
  3. Grow the project’s contributions from existing community of contributors

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

1. The project issued its third release (0.2.0) as far as the code is
   concerned.  Some considerable functionality has been added since the last
   release in addition to a growth in diversity of contributions.

How has the community developed since the last report?

* All project communication now takes place on either the mailing list or
  ASF's Slack, and is open for everybody.  We have worked hard to make this
  the normal operating mode of the community. There have been some hiccups,
  but in general the majority of discourse has taken place on the list.

 * Increased chatter on the mailing list including new subscribers who ask
   questions, make suggestions and are likely to become contributors
   themselves in the near future.

* Weekly grooming meetings are now attended by the majority of the community.
  This is not only a forum to review the weekly work items list, but also as a
  place for open discussion about issues, questions as well as for the
  community to get to better know each other.


How has the community developed since the last report?

Over the last 3 months we have seen a significant increase in contributions as
well as a few new contributors, particularly from the Ericsson contingent.


How has the project developed since the last report?

ARIA now has two new patches considerably extend the parser's
plugin/extensions

Website and documentation improvements for usability and to enhance new user
Usability in terms of “getting started” instructions

9 JIRA issues have been resolved since the last report.  Note that the
repository was locked for several weeks during this period due to release
process issues and learning curve.

We will be doing another release during this quarter.

The community has begun to undertake updating AriaTosca to support the Tosca
1.1 Simple YAML profile.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  The 0.2.0 release was issued on January 16, 2018.  The .3 release is planned
  for this quarter.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Tom Nadeau was added to the PMC/committers on 11/28/2017

Signed-off-by:

  [X](ariatosca) Suneel Marthi
     Comments: Podling needs to focus on growing the community and a more frequent release cadence.
  [X](ariatosca) John D. Ament
     Comments: It's a small group.  On list communication is still a struggle.
  [X](ariatosca) Jakob Homan
     Comments: Small but growing slowly and heading in the right direction.

--------------------
Crail

Crail is a storage platform for sharing performance critical
data in distributed data processing jobs at very high speed.

Crail has been incubating since 2017-11-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

1  Community building
2. Improve project visibility
3. Create a first release

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

* None

How has the community developed since the last report?

* We got one new active committer.
  After moving the code base under apache/incubator-crail,
  we are re-gaining frequency on downloads and followers
* To advertise the project, we are preparing for the
  SF Spark Summit presentation on Crail.
  We got a presentation on Crail's non-volatile data
  management accepted at OpenFabrics workshop in April.

How has the project developed since the last report?

* Podling name search done and approved by Legal.
* Applied fixes resolving two major bugs within Crail code.
* New project front end website.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?

 [X] Initial setup
 [X] Working towards first release
 [X] Community building
 [ ] Nearing graduation
 [ ] Other:

Date of last release:
 N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
 2017-11-01 (entering incubation)

Signed-off-by:

 [x] (crail) Julian Hyde
     Comments: Good progress on the "admin" aspects of incubation,
       and dev list is showing good activity.
 [ ] (crail) Luciano Resende
     Comments:
 [ ] (crail) Raphael Bircher
     Comments:

--------------------
Daffodil

Apache Daffodil is an implementation of the Data Format Description Language
(DFDL) used to convert between fixed format data and XML/JSON.

Daffodil has been incubating since 2017-08-27.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Complete first Apache release as an Incubator
  2. Broaden base of contributors and build the community (e.g. work with
  other Apache projects where Daffodil could provide extra functionality)
  3. Improve documentation on setting up a development environment to ease the
  addition of new developers

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

- Outstanding legal issue regarding Open Grid Forum document inclusion in
  Daffodil (LEGAL-369)

How has the community developed since the last report?

- No new committers. However, we have had activity from a couple outside users
  on the mailing lists asking about Daffodil capabilities/usage

How has the project developed since the last report?

- All SGA/CLAs have been submitted (from Tresys, IBM, and NCSA), all code
  relicensed to ASF, and package namespace switched to org.apache.daffodil
- Development pace has continued without any notable issues
- The first release candidate was created in February 2018. However, bugs were
  found that required an rc2 release. Those issues were resolved, but issues
  related to the LICENSE and NOTICE files were raised in the rc2 release vote.
  This is expected to require an rc3 release, planned to start voting in early
  March.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-09-06 - 2.0.0 (pre-Apache release)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

- None, same as project incubation

Signed-off-by:

  [X](daffodil) John D. Ament
     Comments: Project is moving in the right direction, and aiming for their first ASF release.
  [X](daffodil) David Fisher
     Comments:

--------------------
Druid

Druid is a high-performance, column-oriented, distributed data store.

Druid has been incubating since 2018-02-28.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
 1. Migrate existing contributors and users to apache mailing lists.
 2. Move the source code and website to apache infrastructure.
 3. Plan and execute our first Apache release.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?
* The team is working on the items on the Incubation Checklist.
* We’re working on moving the existing mailing lists, source code, github
  issues and website to Apache Infrastructure.
* In order to keep the project momentum up until the migration is complete we
  are continuing the development on existing druid repository.
* We are considering doing the 0.12.0 release before migrating source code to
  apache, since the IPMC has already voted for it and migrating infra to
  apache might take a while, and we don't want to block 0.12.0 on this
  migration.

How has the community developed since the last report?
* This is our first board report.
* Current Status of our Github contributors (212), forks (1,516), watchers
 (524) and stars (6,157)

How has the project developed since the last report?
* Creation of Domain name for Druid - DONE
* Creation of Mailing lists - DONE.
* A healthy, constant flow of bug fixes, quality improvements and new
  Features are still ongoing on https://github.com/druid-io/druid.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
@Mentors Please feel free to add your own commentary.

 [X] Initial setup
 [ ] Working towards first release
 [ ] Community building
 [ ] Nearing graduation
 [ ] Other:

Date of last release:
* No official release yet since being voted into Apache Incubation. 
  (Planning for the first Apache release in Q2, 2018)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
* Project is still functioning with the initial set of committers.


Signed-off-by:

 [x] (druid) Julian Hyde 
    Comments:
      Druid has only been in the incubator for a week, but
      the PPMC have already checked off quite a few of the
      initial tasks. This momentum is encouraging.
 [X] (druid) P. Taylor Goetz
    Comments: Druid is off to a good start. They were not 
      required to report this soon, but voluntarily did so.
 [X] (druid) Jun Rao
    Comments:
      Good start for Druid.

--------------------
Dubbo

Dubbo is a high-performance, lightweight, java based RPC framework.

Dubbo has been incubating since 2018-02-16.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Get ICLA signed (currently got 7 out of 9 initial committers)
  2. Get community to sign up and move discussion to dev@
  3. Move codebase to Apache

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

N/A(This is the first report)

How has the project developed since the last report?

N/A(This is the first report)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-01-25 (before joining Apache Incubator)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

N/A, right now all the PPMC members come from initial committers.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](dubbo) Justin Mclean
     Comments:
  [X](dubbo) John D. Ament
     Comments: Keep up the focus on the transition work.
  [ ](dubbo) Jean-Frederic Clere
     Comments:
  [X](dubbo) Mark Thomas
     Comments: Transition is still underway. Good to see discussion with (prospective)
               mentors that was happening off-list has moved on-list.

--------------------
ECharts

ECharts is a charting and data visualization library written in JavaScript.

ECharts has been incubating since 2018-01-18.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Move GitHub repository to apache/incubator-echarts.
  2. Working towards first ASF release.
  3. Build the community and attract more committers.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

1. Got all ICLA signed of initial committers.
2. Updated the license to apache v2

How has the project developed since the last report?

None

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

N/A


Signed-off-by:

  [X](echarts) John D. Ament
     Comments: No on list discussion of report.  Some more user based discussions happening, no development activities.
  [ ](echarts) Daniel Gruno
     Comments:
  [ ](echarts) Kevin A. McGrail
     Comments:
  [X](echarts) Dave Fisher
     Comments: Slow startup.

--------------------
Griffin

Griffin is a open source Data Quality solution for distributed data systems at any scale in both streaming or batch data context.

Griffin has been incubating since 2016-12-05.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Grow/Marketing the community since we will release milestone version soon.
 2. Onboard use cases, we need to contact with our customers weekly for feedback.
 3. Make profiling and accuracy matured based on feedback.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  - None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - A new committer has been elected.
  - More users had contacted us for use cases.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - Active development is moving on well, 38 commits in last three months.
  - Measure module performance enhancement in streaming mode.
  - Timeliness and uniqueness measure for batch and streaming mode has been developed.
  - Publish measure management has been developed.
  - Metrics management supported in service module.
  - UI module for job schedule process has been developed.
  - Work toward for next version release.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

  [] Initial setup
  [] Working towards first release
  [] Community building - One new contributor
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [] Other:

Date of last release:

  - Nov 23rd, 2017

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - A new committer was elected at Dec 21st, 2017

Signed-off-by:

  [X](griffin) Henry Saputra
     Comments:
  [ ](griffin) Kasper Sørensen
     Comments:
  [X](griffin) Uma Maheswara Rao Gangumalla
     Comments:
  [ ](griffin) Luciano Resende
     Comments:

--------------------

HTrace

HTrace is a tracing framework intended for use with distributed systems
written in java.

HTrace has been incubating since 2014-11-11.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. -
  2. -
  3. -

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

The HTrace podling has seen no code activity in months. Discussion of
sending it to the Attic have been circulating for some time as well.
After literally no activity again over the last few months, it looks like
it is time to progress with sending HTrace to the Attic.

How has the community developed since the last report?

It has not.

How has the project developed since the last report?

It has not.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [X] Other: No actiity.

Date of last release:

  2016-03-04

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2016-10-03

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](htrace) Jake Farrell
     Comments:
  [ ](htrace) Todd Lipcon
     Comments:
  [X](htrace) Lewis John Mcgibbney
     Comments: In our January 2018 report we mentioned that 
     "HTrace is very quiet. There is opportunity to continue
     work if we engage with projects already using HTrace. If that does not
     happen, we should retire the podling." We should therefore retire the podling.
  [ ](htrace) Andrew Purtell
     Comments:
  [ ](htrace) Billie Rinaldi
     Comments:
  [ ](htrace) Michael Stack


--------------------
Myriad

Myriad enables co-existence of Apache Hadoop YARN and Apache Mesos together on
the same cluster and allows dynamic resource allocations across both Hadoop
and other applications running on the same physical data center
infrastructure.

Myriad has been incubating since 2015-03-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
In this project state the most important action to move towards
graduation is to create traction on the project again. So from my
point of view the list of actions is the following:

[X] Promote the project in social networks, blog entries and so forth
for getting interest again.
[X] Get a few active new users.
[X] Refresh the state of unattended issues reported for interested
users in the pass.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?
Only to be informed about new users are willing to boosting up the
project again.

How has the community developed since the last report
The most relevant thing is the activation of mailing list again and a
few new users willing to participate.

How has the project developed since the last report.
The project has not evolved since the last report.

How does the podling rate their own maturity.
[ ] Initial setup
[ ] Working towards first release
[X] Community building
[ ] Nearing graduation

Date of last release:
2016-05-29

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?


Signed-off-by:

  [ ](myriad) Benjamin Hindman
     Comments:
  [ ](myriad) Danese Cooper
     Comments:
  [X](myriad) Ted Dunning
     Comments:
  [ ](myriad) Luciano Resende
     Comments:

--------------------
Nemo

Nemo is a data processing system to flexibly control the runtime behaviors
of a job to adapt to varying deployment characteristics.

Nemo has been incubating since 2018-02-04.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1.  Grow the community
  2.  Create a first Apache release
  3.  Donate code to ASF

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Committers filed ICLAs.
  * Committers enrolled in mailing lists
  * Committers enrolled in the slack channel
  * Committers used mailing lists to discuss initial setups
  * Committers started to send PRs to the apache infra

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * gitbox/github set up and code transferred from snuspl/nemo to apache/incubator-nemo
  * JIRA created and issues transferred from github to JIRA
  * web site set up
  * mailing lists set up
  * The name ‘Apache Nemo’ approved (PODLINGNAMESEARCH-139)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  None yet.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 None yet.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](nemo) Davor Bonaci
     Comments: The podling is moving very quickly.
  [ ](nemo) Hyunsik Choi
     Comments:
  [X](nemo) Byung-Gon Chun
     Comments:
  [X](nemo) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
     Comments:
  [ ](nemo) Markus Weimer
     Comments:
  [ ](nemo) Reynold Xin

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  johndament:  Seeing good progress with on list communication.

--------------------

Omid

Omid is a flexible, reliable, high performant and scalable ACID transactional
framework that allows client applications to execute transactions on top of
MVCC key/value-based NoSQL datastores (currently Apache HBase) providing
Snapshot Isolation guarantees on the accessed data.

Omid has been incubating since 2016-03-28.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Boost project dissemination in the Apache community.
 2. Collaborate/integrate Omid with other Apache projects.
 3. Get positive feedback from other projects currently in Apache.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

N/A

How has the community developed since the last report?

Apache Phoenix 

How has the project developed since the last report?

HBase 0.x version being tested in prod environment at Yahoo.
Preparing 0.9.0 version.

Quarter Stats (from: 2017-12-01 to: 2018-02-28):


 +---------------------------------------------+
 | Metric | counts |
 +---------------------------------------------+
 | # of msgs in dev list | 108 |
 | Active Contributors (incl mentors)| 8 |
 | Jira New Issues | 2 |
 | Resolved Issues | 8 |
 | Pull Requests merged | 9 |
 | Pull Requests proposed | 3 |
 +---------------------------------------------+

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

 [ ] Initial setup
 [ ] Working towards first release
 [X] Community building
 [ ] Nearing graduation
 [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

2016-06-24

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 

Signed-off-by:

 [ ](omid) Alan Gates
 Comments:
 [ ](omid) Lars Hofhansl
 Comments:
 [ ](omid) Flavio P. Junqueira
 Comments:
 [ ](omid) Thejas Nair
 Comments:
 [x](omid) James Taylor
 Comments:

--------------------

OpenWhisk  

OpenWhisk is an open source, distributed Serverless computing platform able to
execute application logic (Actions) in response to events (Triggers) from
external sources (Feeds) or HTTP requests governed by conditional logic
(Rules). It provides a programming environment supported by a REST API-based
Command Line Interface (CLI) along with tooling to support packaging and
catalog services.  Additionally, it now provides options to host the platform
components as Docker containers on various Container Frameworks such as Mesos,
Kubernetes, and Compose.

 
OpenWhisk has been incubating since 2016-11-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  Establish process for source release (automation work ongoing here
  https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release) Increase contributions
  to maintain all project repos. Kubernetes and Mesos deployments work and 
  integrations need improvement; comm, aware of lots of work being done in 
  (private and public) forks.

  Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
  of?

  - Issue backlog building on incubator-openwhisk has grown significantly;
    need to prioritize and work to reduce while advancing
    performance/security/deployment issues.
     - Trying to add more active Committers to augment those who have
      dropped off in their activity. A consistent hosted, staging
      environment would help repro. issues, as well as stage PRs to test
      fixes. It had been our intent to have Apache host our staging (and
      move it out of disparate private builds within various companies).
      However, INFRA indicates they only typically allocate 1 VM per
      project for use with demos and minor things.  They indicate that
      perhaps a corporate donation is in order (ala. Spark).
     - Goal: standup testing resources at Apache and utilize for public CI
      and performance testing of OpenWhisk on Kubernetes
     - See discussion here: OpenWhisk / Kubernetes proposed epics/action
      items/questions
     - No change in status since last quarterly report
  - Formal hand-off of OpenWhisk trademark/logo from IBM needs to be
    executed; need to identify process for this.
     - Discussion started w/ Apache legal via "legal-discuss" mailing list
      with subject "Trademark handoff for "OpenWhisk" name and logo".
     - No change in status since last quarterly report

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Mentor changes:
     - Felix Meschberger and Sergio Fernández have stepped down from being
      mentors with regrets.
     - Bertrand Delacretaz volunteered to become mentor to fill Felix' spot.
     - Jim Jagielski volunteered to become mentor to fill Sergio's spot.
  - dev mailing list usage has been relatively active
  - incubator-openwhisk Github stars: 2877 (+696 since last report)
  - incubator-openwhisk GitHub forks: 544 (+75 since last report)

  The bi-weekly Zoom "Technical Interchange" continues to be well received
  and attended. Complete videos posted to OW YouTube channel and detailed
  notes to our CWIKI. YouTube Channel:
  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbzgShnQk8F43NKsvEYA1SA CWiki Meeting
  Notes: OpenWhisk Technical Interchange Meeting
Notes:https://cwiki.apache.org  /confluence/display/OPENWHISK/OpenWhisk+Technical+Interchange+Meeting+Notes


New Contributors

  - Michele Sciabarra: developing a GoLang runtime w/ perf. tests
  - Seonghyun Oh: working on a Bash runtime for functions
  - Nhat Nguyen: NodeJS interest
  - Sang Heon Lee: working on CouchDB implementation for ArtifactStore (WIP)
  - Allen Servedio: identified a bug in wskdeploy, extended code to allow
    support for GitHub private repos.
  - Vipul Kashyap: RedHat, no commits yet
  - Lorna Mitchell: IBM, data service integrations (e.g., CouchDB), NodeJS,
    PHP runtimes
  - Neeraj Mangal: discussing namespace enhancements
  - Jason Peterson: IBM, maintaining packages Alarms, Push Notifications,
    Cloudant and Deploy
  - Sudipta Biswas: support S390X deployment (i.e., power architectures)
  - Kiseok Jang: Java (JVM) enhancement interest, no commits yet
  - Junyoung Sung: interest in support Bash actions (runtime), no commits yet

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Emphasis on 3 areas have been featured since last report:
  - Release process
     - See incubator-openwhisk-release (code, tools, documentation), see
      demo (as of 2/28): YouTube
        - Lots of discussion and work on developing both a manual and
         automated (source code) release process for 12 openwhisk project
         repos. that constitute the project's platform and related tooling
         (i.e., version tied).
        - All steps in release process are described in repo's markdown
         that the comm. is working to complete
        - Checklists/Runbooks created for release managers to follow
        - Automation tested with signing/hashing as per Apache requirements
        - still working on assuring all Apache license/legal/notice/change
         files are present (perhaps automated as well) issues with RAT and
         TENTACLES tools documented, working to document our exception
         lists and policies and alternative tools to verify licenses when
         not supported by RAT
  - Security enhancements
     - Now encrypting "data-in-motion" by enabling SSL between Controllers,
      Kafka and Invokers.
  - Scalability / Performance
     - Controller now uses fully scalable impl. instead of active with "hot
      standby"; lots of testing/changes to validate as optional before
      moving to promote as default on dev. list.
     - Introduced new LoadBalancer plug-in that uses Horizontal sharding;
      evaluating making it the default as perf. tests indicate notable
      improvement in controller-invoker throughput under load.
     - Improved handling of Artifact Attachments as a separate artifact (for
      storage/update/deletion) and provide alternative implementations
      (other than CouchDB), primarily Object Storage services as targets.
     - Made ActivationId implementation leaner by adopting UUID (single
      string) versus an object that wraps a UUID.
  - Other Notable discussions/changes/issues/features:
     - Added support of Time-series DBs using Kamon Tag (e.g., OpenTSDB,
      Datadog)
     - Discussions on large (size) argument support in runtimes/impacts on
      performance/configurability.
     - Updated all tools/ubuntu-setup to support xenial and later Ubuntu
      releases.
     - Implementation of runtime for Go (GoLang) actions.  New contributor
      authored new Invoker runtime and tested with 3 possible impls. for
      performance before submitting for review.
     - Action Compositions now supported in Controller and demonstrated on
      Interchange call; more changes may be coming for Controller to enable
      parallel processing.
     - Added A Pull Request (PR) template (checklist) for all code
      submissions (incubator-openwhisk) to assure they are ready for review
      and get assigned correctly.
        - https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/3386
     - Action time limits are now configurable.

  How would you assess the podling's maturity?  Please feel free to add your
  own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Comments:

  Need greater variety of contributors and contributing companies

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  New Committers+PPMC: Dave Grove (2018-02-08), James Thomas (2018-02-08)
  Mark Deuser (2018-02-22) New Committers: Priti Desai (2018-02-19)

Signed-off-by:   

[X](openwhisk) Bertrand Delacretaz
  Comments:
[ ] (openwhisk) Jim Jagielski
  Comments:  
[ ](openwhisk) Isabel Drost-Fromm
  Comments:  

--------------------
PLC4X

PLC4X is a set of libraries for communicating with industrial programmable
logic controllers (PLCs) using a variety of protocols but with a shared API.

PLC4X has been incubating since 2017-12-18.
Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Building the community: The PPMC and committer group has a large
     percentage of codecentric employees, we have been recruiting people
     from other companies, but will have to continue these efforts for
     establishing a healthy Apache community.
  2. Onboarding of new committers: With PLC4X several people on the team
     are not very familiar with the Apache Way. We have started and will
     continue our efforts on this onboarding.
  3. Make our first release

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

In order to get access to some of the specifications the ASF will eventually
have to become Members of some external foundations: OPC, EtherCat, Modbus …
these memberships usually have a free level, that allows us to use the
specifications but doesn’t result in any regular costs. We will have to discuss
these details with the ASF and the other foundations.
One of the external foundations (Profinet) doesn’t have a free membership. In
general, the CEO of the European branch of the Profinet Foundation has signaled
that it should be possible for the ASF to become a member and have an outside
company pay the membership fees, but we have to discuss the details (With them
as well as the ASF).

How has the community developed since the last report?

Christofer has invested most of his time in February spreading the word about
PLC4X.
A first POC has been created for the company “Kampf Schneid- und Wickeltechnik
GmbH & Co. KG”
Two articles for IoT Special editions of German tech magazines have been
submitted. The “JavaSPEKTURM – IoT Sonderheft” is scheduled for sale end or
March, the “iX – IoT Sonderheft” is scheduled later.
The university of Stuttgart has shown great interest in joining our effort, as
they had just started a project with a similar goal. Chris will continue
on-boarding efforts in March.
At this year’s AALE Conference in Cologne, Chris has talked to a lot of people
from different German universities. We’re hoping to get at least a hand full of
them on board too.
We have continuing our onboarding of new Apache committers (extended emails
with a lot of explanations on why we are doing things the way we are)
In the next few months we are expecting to spread the word and hopefully grow
the community due to the tech magazine articles as well as several talks on
different conferences.

How has the project developed since the last report?

The work on the RawSocket Netty transport which is a requirement to implement
protocols that are IP based, but are not TCP or UDP has continued and we are
currently waiting for infra to setup a dedicated Jenkins VM for our project so
we can enable the RawSocket releated tests.
We have finished a first version of the Beckhoff ADS driver, and are looking
forward to first tests with this.
The functionality of the S7 driver has improved due to experience collected
with the Kampf POC.
Next we are aiming to implement Modbus and OPC-UA protocols.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

We have a mix of new participants and experienced Apache people involved.
So far, the new participants have shown great willingness and success in
adopting the Apache Way.
However, we still need to continue:
the on-boarding
increasing the diversity of the team
Also, will we need to decide and establish all the processes involved in
releasing software at Apache

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?



Signed-off-by:

  [ ](plc4x) Greg Trasuk
     Comments:
  [X](plc4x) Justin Mclean
     Comments:
  [ ](plc4x) Luciano Resende
     Comments:
  [X](plc4x) Stefan Bodewig


--------------------
Pulsar

Pulsar is a highly scalable, low latency messaging platform running on
commodity hardware. It provides simple pub-sub semantics over topics,
guaranteed at-least-once delivery of messages, automatic cursor management for
subscribers, and cross-datacenter replication.

Pulsar has been incubating since 2017-06-01.

Two most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the community with new Committers/PPMC members.
  2. Complete the Podling name search tasks

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  The community added 6 new contributors that submitted pull-requests which
  were merged into master.

  There has been a sharp increase in users approaching the team on the Slack
  channel with many questions on getting started, clarifications,
  troubleshooting. While developers use Slack for informal chatting, the
  predominant usage of Slack has be users support. We have created a tool to
  create daily email digests of the conversation and post it on dev@ and user@
  lists, to comply with ASF policy of. We are also extracting the most
  recurrent questions/answer from Slack and plan to add an FAQ section on the
  website, together with improving documentation in the areas that seemed more
  difficult to users.

  Project members from several companies have organized or participated in
  several meetups, presenting Pulsar's introductions, deep-dives and hands-on
  tutorial, including recorded podcasts. We have several scheduled talks on
  Pulsar at various conferences (such as Strata San Jose on March 8th).


How has the project developed since the last report?

  22 authors have pushed 536 commits to master in the last 3 months.

  The project has made the its third and fourth releases since joining the
  Apache Incubator (1.21.0-incubating on Dec 17th and 1.22.0-incubating on Mar
  6th). Project members are actively working on next milestone, 2.0 release
  that will include several new features including:
   * Topic compaction
   * Redesigned type-safe API with schema support
   * Lightweight compute support

  Overall, since December, 7 new PIPs (Pulsar Improvement Proposals) for major
  feature/changes, have been submitted to the wiki and discussed in the
  mailing list.

  Since the last report the number of weekly-active-users on the Slack channel
  has increased from 27 to 53.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-12-13, 1.21.0-incubating
  2018-03-06, 1.22.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-01-19 - Sijie Guo

Signed-off-by:

  [X](pulsar) Dave Fisher
     Comments: They have the release cycle down pretty well. Building community.
  [X](pulsar) Jim Jagielski
     Comments: I would say that the project is still building community and doing so extremely well.
  [X](pulsar) P. Taylor Goetz
     Comments: I would have checked the "Community Building" box, but the podling is doing very well.
  [ ](pulsar) Francis Liu
     Comments:

--------------------
SAMOA

SAMOA provides a collection of distributed streaming algorithms for the most
common data mining and machine learning tasks such as classification,
clustering, and regression, as well as programming abstractions to develop new
algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines (DSPEs).
It features a pluggable architecture that allows it to run on several DSPEs
such as Apache Storm, Apache Flink, and Apache Samza.

SAMOA has been incubating since 2014-12-15.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Enlarge the contributing community
  2. Have new companies and organizations using the Apache Samoa technology

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?


 Mailing list activity (December 2017 - February 2018):
  * @dev: 23 messages

 Jira issues backlog (December 2017 - February 2018):
  * Created:  2
  * Resolved: 1

How has the project developed since the last report?

 * Just elected two new members to the Apache Samoa PPMC
 * Planning a new release in the next month
 * Worked on consolidating input and output API, to work better with multiple types of data

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2016-09-30

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

January 2018


Signed-off-by:

  [ ](samoa) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [ ](samoa) Ashutosh Chauhan
     Comments:
  [ ](samoa) Enis Soztutar
     Comments:
  [X](samoa) Ted Dunning
     Comments: Is this community really generating enough momentum to graduate?

--------------------
ServiceComb

ServiceComb is a microservice framework that provides a set of tools and
components to make development and deployment of cloud applications easier.

ServiceComb has been incubating since 2017-11-22.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. IP clearance and License clean up
  2. Community building
  3. Create a first release

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?
  * The community has been working hard to get the first release out, which will be service-center 1.0.0-m1, java-chassis 1.0.0-m1 and saga 0.1.0
  * service-center had three internal release votes, java-chassis and saga release is one the way. 
 
How has the project developed since the last report(Feb 2018)?
  Due to Chinese new year, lots of committer take the holiday  
  * Java Chassis merged with 10 PRs by 5 contributors.
  * Service Center merged with 24 PRs by 4 contributors .
  * Saga resolved merged with 6 PRs by 3 contributors.
  * 48 mails sent by 14 people on the dev@ list
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [*] Working towards first release
  [*] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

   NONE


Signed-off-by:

  [X](servicecomb) Roman Shaposhnik
     Comments:
  [ ](servicecomb) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
     Comments:
  [X](servicecomb) Timothy Chen
     Comments:

--------------------

SkyWalking

Skywalking is an APM (application performance monitor), especially for
microservice, Cloud Native and container-based architecture systems. Also
known as a distributed tracing system. It provides an automatic way to
instrument applications: no need to change any of the source code of the
target application; and an collector with an very high efficiency streaming
module.

SkyWalking has been incubating since 2017-12-08.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. IP clearance.
  3. First ASF release. (SkyWalking 5.0)
  3. Further ASF culture and processes.
  4. 5.x releases are stable for product, and have an open end user case, at least.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

 Looking for input on how to develop/release our plugins that rely on GPL libraries, 
is making those plugins optional good enough?


How has the community developed since the last report?

 Improved understanding of the release process way of the Apache. And
prepare for the first release.

 A C# agent proposed by .NET community has started.
After it release, will make SkyWalking can support multi languages. 
Some discussions about golang and Nodejs server are on going.


How has the project developed since the last report?

Code wise the project has good momentum.
There has been ~44 pull requests opened and accepted, and 103 commits, 
by 7 contributors in the last month.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

 5.0.0-alpha is currently in progress. One attempt was made and put into the staging repository, 
only a minor issue blocked the test build announcement email going out.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 Hongtao Gao (PPMC)
 Sheng Wu (PPMC)
 Shinn Zhang (PPMC)
 Yongsheng Peng (PPMC)


Signed-off-by:

  [x](skywalking) Luke Han
     Comments:
  [X](skywalking) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments:
  [x](skywalking) Mick Semb Wever
     Comments:

--------------------
Slider

Slider is a collection of tools and technologies to package, deploy, and
manage long running applications on Apache Hadoop YARN clusters.

Slider has been incubating since 2014-04-29.

Most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
  Since new development on one of Slider's primary maven modules has
  moved to the hadoop-yarn-services-core module in Apache Hadoop,
  development of other Slider modules has also tailed off. The Slider
  community needs to decide whether we should retire the remaining
  Slider code or propose graduation.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  No additional issues.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Mailing list and commit activity have continued at a low rate. We invited
  a new committer / PPMC member, Kyungwan Nam.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  An improvement to allow Slider to work in multi-homed environments is
  in progress and we have fixed a couple of bugs related to certificate
  management and functional test failures when running on newer versions
  of Hadoop.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
The podling is relatively mature, but activity is low.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [x] Other: Discussing direction

Date of last release:

  2017-03-23 slider-0.92.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-02-21 New committer and PPMC member Kyungwan Nam

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](slider) Arun C Murthy
     Comments:
  [ ](slider) Devaraj Das
     Comments:
  [ ](slider) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
     Comments:
  [ ](slider) Mahadev Konar
     Comments:
  [X](slider) Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
     Comments: Given the progress of development in hadoop-yarn-services, I think this community should start the retirement proceedings. The things to figure out when the retirement happens is the website redirect, past releases' bits and any outstanding apps that are not yet migrated.

--------------------
Spot

Apache Spot is a platform for network telemetry built on an open data model
and Apache Hadoop.

Spot has been incubating since 2016-09-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. More activity in the User and Dev mail lists
  2. Integrate Open Data Model on top of Spot modules
  3. Develop a better release process

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?



How has the community developed since the last report?

A. more interaction from partners
B. Seeing more interest and usage of Spot leading to more contributions in on the way

How has the project developed since the last report?

A. More development around Open Data Model
B. New data sources being integrated with ODM is maturing the structure
C. Adding Kerberos support to the project
D. Ingest Redesign

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-09-08

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-01-18

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](spot) Jarek Jarcec Cecho
     Comments:
  [ ](spot) Brock Noland
     Comments:
  [ ](spot) Andrei Savu
     Comments:
  [X](spot) Uma Maheswara Rao G
     Comments: Dev list discussions are low and community should give more attention to this point.

--------------------
Superset

Superset is an enterprise-ready web application for data exploration, data
visualization and dashboarding.

Superset has been incubating since 2017-05-21.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
 1. Plan and execute our first Apache release
 2. Align on a long-term product roadmap with the broader Apache Superset community
 3. Grow the community and enroll new committers

Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of?
* None

How has the community developed since the last report?
* Organic growth of our Github contributors (211), forks (2,981), watchers
  (975) and stars (18,249)
* Group of active committers meeting bi-weekly from Airbnb, Lyft and Twitter 
* Slack channel for Apache Superset at https://apache-superset.slack.com/ has active growth and activity

How has the project developed since the last report?
* A redesign of the Dashboarding view is now midway through completion
* A redesign of the Explore view has just started
* Deck.gl (https://uber.github.io/deck.gl/#/) has been integrated as a visualization type
* A healthy, constant flow of bug fixes, quality improvements and new
  features, take a look at the project’s Pulse on Github for more details


How does the podling rate their own maturity.
[ ] Initial setup
[X] Working towards first release
[ ] Community building
[ ] Nearing graduation
[ ] Other:

Date of last release: No official release yet since being voted into Apache
Incubation.  (Planning for the first Apache release in Q2, 2018)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
* Grace Guo - PPMC & Committer (2017-10-29)
* Chris Williams - PPMC & Committer (2017-10-20)
* John Bodley - PPMC & Committer (2017-10-20)


Signed-off-by:
[X](superset) Ashutosh Chauhan
    Comments:
[x](superset) Luke Han
    Comments:
[X](superset) Jim Jagielski
    Comments: Looking forward to seeing how the project handles the release process

--------------------
Taverna

Taverna is a domain-independent suite of tools used to design and execute
data-driven workflows.

Taverna has been incubating since 2014-10-20.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Re-engage PPMC towards community building
  2. Release or Retire legacy git repositories
  3. Graduate!

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?




How has the community developed since the last report?

  Large interest from Google Summer of Code students. 
  Multiple pull requests, many already merged. 
  Elected new PPMC member Sagar.

  Email stats dev@taverna:

  2017-12: 18
  2018-01: 120
  2018-02: 156



How has the project developed since the last report?
  
  Taverna Server release, addressed many IP/license issues.
  
  Active development, but focused mainly on the Android app. 
  Some challenges with maintaining legacy git repositories as
  they require different skills.


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-01-18

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-02-26 (PPMC)


Signed-off-by:

  [ ](taverna) Andy Seaborne
     Comments:

  While there has been an uptick in development activity recently, and the
  contributor is a new PPMC member, the podling PPMC as a group is not moving
  towards graduation.

  Reiterating my comments from December: I am worried that pushing through
  graduation will only result in the same situation as a TLP.
  [ ](taverna) Daniel J Debrunner
     Comments:
  [ ](taverna) Marlon Pierce
     Comments:
  [x](taverna) Stian Soiland-Reyes
     Comments:

  I have been quite impressed by the uptick since New Year, which shows how just
  a bit of PMC engagement can give lots of follow-on activitity. I would hope
  Taverna can continue this move out of the "risk of retire" zone, but that
  requires more PMC members to chip in now and then.

  [ ](taverna) Suresh Marru
     Comments:
  [ ](taverna) Suresh Srinivas
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  johndament: the discrepancies between the mentors seems to be a concern.  In general it seems like good communication flow.

--------------------
Tephra

Tephra is a system for providing globally consistent transactions on top of
Apache HBase and other storage engines.

Tephra has been incubating since 2016-03-07.

Two most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Improve community engagement
  2. Increase adoption

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

- None at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

- 15 new JIRAs filed since the last report
- 1 external contributors submitted patches since the last report
- 1 external contributor created tickets in JIRA since the last report

How has the project developed since the last report?

- Working on 0.14.0-incubating release
- Adding support for HBase 2.0 (new major version of HBase)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-09-21

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

- None since coming to incubation

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](tephra) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [ ](tephra) Andrew Purtell
     Comments:
  [x](tephra) James Taylor
     Comments:
  [ ](tephra) Lars Hofhansl
     Comments:

March2018 (last edited 2018-03-18 13:43:39 by johndament)