Differences between revisions 98 and 99
Revision 98 as of 2019-03-10 17:18:16
Size: 72207
Editor: TedDunning
Comment:
Revision 99 as of 2019-03-11 00:26:45
Size: 72583
Editor: johndament
Comment: Sign off and comments on Tamaya.
Deletions are marked like this. Additions are marked like this.
Line 1896: Line 1896:
  [ ](tamaya) John D. Ament
     Comments:
  [X](tamaya) John D. Ament
     Comments: Podling is continuing to struggle. I strongly disagree with the notion that this project is ready to graduate or nearing readiness. It has not executed a release in 2 years, Development activity has definitely increased in the past few months, and with the addition of 2 new committers may see more sustained progress, but we need to ensure that this vitality continues on.

Incubator PMC report for March 2019

** DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT **

Timeline

Wed March 06

Podling reports due by end of day

Sun March 10

Shepherd reviews due by end of day

Sun March 10

Summary due by end of day

Tue March 12

Mentor signoff due by end of day

Wed March 13

Report submitted to Board

Wed March 20

Board meeting

Shepherd Assignments

Dave Fisher

DLab

Dave Fisher

IoTDB

Drew Farris

Nemo

Drew Farris

Omid

John Ament

Marvin-AI

John Ament

SkyWalking

Justin Mclean

Myriad

P. Taylor Goetz

Crail

P. Taylor Goetz

SINGA

P. Taylor Goetz

Training

Timothy Chen

SAMOA

Timothy Chen

ShardingSphere

Timothy Chen

Spot

[none]

BRPC

[none]

Daffodil

[none]

Druid

[none]

Dubbo

[none]

Hivemall

[none]

Hudi

[none]

Iceberg

[none]

OpenWhisk

[none]

Pony Mail

[none]

Superset

[none]

Taverna

[none]

Tephra

[none]

Warble

[none]

Zipkin

Report content

Incubator PMC report for March 2019

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and
codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.

There are presently 51 podlings incubating. During the month of February,
podlings executed X distinct releases. We added no new IPMC members
(although new candidates are being considered) and we've had one IPMC
member retire.

We have one new podling this month, Apache Training. Unomi graduated last
month and several podlings are heading towards graduation in the next few
months. There are currently conversations on accepting two new podlings into
the incubator.

BatchEE took a vote to go to Apache Geronimo or TLP and decided on TLP they
have given themselves until June to graduate.

Both of the podlings that failed to report this last month submitted a report
this month.

Four podlings have not submitted reports and will be asked to report them next month.
They are;
- Iceberg
- Spot
- Taverna
- Warble

Warble is mostly inactive but has plans to address this.

There was one IP clearance.

As reported last month we have a problem with unapproved releases. Checking
other podlings showed several that are making unapproved releases or have
branding and trademark issues. Several where contacted and have fixed the issue.
ECharts has several issues that are still outstanding but their mentors and
their PPMC are dealing with it.

A podling (Zipkin) went straight to the board with a complaint that the
incubator is unfriendly. (Their first release had a -1 IPMC vote for
including compiled code in a source release.) Since then there has been
number of conversations on private and public lists about this (and other
issues) and it's brought up some old "the incubator is broken" threads.
The IPMC has been given many suggestions for improvement. Some of the
suggestions for incubator change are positive and are likely to show
benefits, some ignore recent improvements in the incubator and refer to how
the incubator was in the past, and a couple seem to have little basis in
fact. Several come from people who are not IPMC members or are not
currently actively involved in the IPMC. The IPMC is reviewing all these
suggestions and will evaluate them and other ideas to see what is possible
to implement in the near future without having a detrimental impact on all
current podlings and mentors.

Some of these discussion about IPMC interference have already had a cooling
effect of voting on releases and a couple of podlings needed to request
help on release voting. One release that was put up for IPMC vote,
seemingly without mentor input, and it contained several significant ASF
policy issues.

There were several discussions about podlings releasing software outside the
ASF (mostly on docker and GitHub) and ways of providing guidance to them to
comply with ASF's legal, release, distribution and trademark policy that
got a little derailed because of the above. It was noticed that GitHub is
publishing release candidates (and in fact any tag) as a release. I believe
Infra has reached out to GitHub to see what can be done to improve this.

A couple of mentors were found for podlings with less than 3 mentors.

A few old unused incubator mailing lists were shut down.

A discussion come up about short non-ASF domain names and hosting copies
of ASF sites in China.

* Community

  New IPMC members:

  People who left the IPMC:

* New Podlings

* Podlings that failed to report, expected next month are listed above

* Graduations

  The board has motions for the following:

  - Your podling here?
  - Your podling here?

* Releases

  The following releases entered distribution during the month of
  February:

* IP Clearance

* Legal / Trademarks

* Infrastructure

* Miscellaneous

* Credits

----------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Table of Contents
BRPC
Crail
Daffodil
DLab
Druid
Dubbo
Hivemall
Hudi
IoTDB
Marvin-AI
Myriad
Nemo
Omid
OpenWhisk
Pinot
Pony Mail
SAMOA
ShardingSphere
SINGA
SkyWalking
Superset
Tamaya
Tephra
Training
Zipkin

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
BRPC

BRPC is an industrial-grade RPC framework for building reliable and high-
performance services.

BRPC has been incubating since 2018-11-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Repo has been just moved to apache org,thanks for apache infra‘s help
  2. Begin to prepare an apache release
  3. Community buidling is going on

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

Community is a little shy, some more activities could be occurred in the mail list.

How has the community developed since the last report?

Added one PPMC member

How has the project developed since the last report?

The repo has been moved to apache git hosted on github, committers are working on remaining commit permission issues

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Very beginning of the podling

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

No Apache release

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Added one PPMC member-JerryTan

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Dave is very helpful to push apache infra to work on repo transfer, and added jerrytan as new PPMC member.
Von Gosling is also trying his best to encourage ppmc members to be more active and make discussion about
the feature development in the community.


Signed-off-by:

  [X](brpc) Kevin A. McGrail
     Comments: I'll try and be more helpful. I've subscribed to dev and private.
  [ ](brpc) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
     Comments:
  [x](brpc) Von Gosling
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
Dave Fisher: now the the git repository has finally been transferred and the correct
    membership is on the PPMC the podling can finally get some community traction.
    I plan to keep a close eye and will ask to officially mentor if needed.
Von Gosling: community should be encouraged to make more discussion in the mail list.

--------------------
Crail

Crail is a storage platform for sharing performance critical data in
distributed data processing jobs at very high speed.

Crail has been incubating since 2017-11-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Community building: Increase on number of contributors
     and users.
  2. Further increase project visibility
  3. Make Crail better consumable / cooperate with other projects on
     Crail integration.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

How has the community developed since the last report?

* The OSDI'18 paper on Elastic Ephemeral Storage for Serverless
  Analytics (based on Apache Crail) increased projects visibility
  noticeable.
* We added two blog posts to the projects Apache home page. One
  blog covers the performance of the Crail Python API, another
  efficient shuffle data dis-aggregation via Crail.
* The @ApacheCrail twitter account has 155 followers. We use it to
  regularly tweet the availability of new blog posts, code releases etc.

How has the project developed since the last report?

* Bug fixes for current release.
* Started evaluation of options for adding fault tolerance/robustness
  to Crail service.
* Started native C++ implementation of Crail tailored to Machine Learning
  framework integration (such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  Nov-26-2018

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  December 4th, 2018

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

* Our mentors are very helpful. We are very happy we got Felix Cheung
  offering help as a third mentor.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](crail) Felix Cheung
     Comments: Good work on external community; would love to see more traffic on dev@
  [ ](crail) Julian Hyde
     Comments:
  [ ](crail) Luciano Resende
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Daffodil

Apache Daffodil is an implementation of the Data Format Description
Language (DFDL) used to convert between fixed format data and
XML/JSON.

Daffodil has been incubating since 2017-08-27.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

1. Increase community growth and participation
2. Establish a frequent release schedule
3. Work with other Apache projects where Daffodil could provide
   extra functionality

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

- None

How has the community developed since the last report?

- A user is developing a DFDL/Daffodil class, leading to many good
  discussions on the users@ mailing list
- Apache PLC4X has developed a DFDL schema and used Daffodil as a
  means to parse Industrial IoT data
- Continued discussions and investigations to integrate Daffodil
  with Apache NiFi
- Mike Beckerle gave a talk at a local Meetup in December, leading
  to some discussions on the users@ list
- Steve Lawrence is scheduled to give a talk at the Apache Roadshow
  in DC, March 25
- Contributions made from two first time Daffodil contributors

How has the project developed since the last report?

- 44 commits from 5 different developers
- 62 issues created, 57 issues resolved

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

[ ] Initial setup
[ ] Working towards first release
[X] Community building
[ ] Nearing graduation
[ ] Other:

Date of last release:

2019-02-26

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

- None, same as project incubation

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

- We have one inactive mentor, but the addition of a new mentor
  should help with that

Signed-off-by:

[ ](daffodil) John D. Ament
Comments:
[X](daffodil) David Fisher
Comments: The project is doing well with the code and helping users.
    Focus on community growth is now required. Thank you CDutz for mentoring!
[X](daffodil) Christofer Dutz
Comments: Just started out being a mentor for Daffodil a week ago ...

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
DLab

DLab is a platform for creating self-service, exploratory data science
environments in the cloud using best-of-breed data science tools.

DLab has been incubating since 2018-08-20.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Execute the SGA between EPAM and the ASF so code can be imported
  2. Complete on-boarding of initial committers
  3. Work toward an initial Apache releases

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

Not this time

How has the community developed since the last report?

All initial committers have completed on-boarding.

Also we've seen addition of 3 more contributors: Anna Orlovska, Oleksandr Isniuk and Demyan Mysakovets

How has the project developed since the last report?

The team fully switched our work to Apache Infrastructure: JIRA, Git.

Also we've been working hardly towards first Apache release.

Release branch has been created and is waiting for further acceptance by means of voting in apache general mailing list.
We've already reviewed and fixed couple of enhancements proposed by our mentors in regards to the release.

We've added bunch of new features, all of them described in release notes: https://github.com/apache/incubator-dlab/releases/tag/2.1

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Oleksandr Isniuk added as new PPMC 2/26/2019

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

We would highly appreciate if following page could start being populated: https://incubator.apache.org/projects/dlab.html, currently there are many empty pages, not all sections are filled in.
The team can provide all needed information, but unfortunately we don't ability to Edit this page.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](dlab) P. Taylor Goetz
     Comments:
  [X](dlab) Henry Saputra
     Comments: Working on first release under Apache
  [ ](dlab) Konstantin I Boudnik
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
Dave Fisher: DLAB is yet another podling that does not understand that the
             top 3 items to address question is forward looking. The IPMC
             needs to refine the question - English language tenses can be
             subtle. Since MOIN Wiki is going away there is an opportunity
             to do this.

--------------------
Druid

Druid is a high-performance, column-oriented, distributed data store.

Druid has been incubating since 2018-02-28.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Complete more Apache releases
  2. Move the website to Apache infrastructure
  3. Continue to grow the community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?
  - We see growth in the number of downloads for Druid, with a ~11% compound weekly rate since the last podling report.
  - We see a good rate of new PRs opened (between 10-30 opened weekly) since the last report.
  - The project has been receiving ~25 Github stars added per week since the last report.
  - The next Druid meetup has been scheduled for April 2, 2019.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - Since the last report, we have had a total of 151 commits from 23 contributors
  - We have released 0.13.0-incubating, our first incubator release
  - We have code frozen the branch for our second release, 0.14.0-incubating, and we are currently preparing the release candidate.
  - We have updated our LICENSE and NOTICE files which were issues in our first release
  - We are continuing to work on moving the project pages from druid.io to druid.apache.org

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  - Druid 0.13.0-incubating was released on Dec 12, 2018.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  The Druid PPMC elected 10 new committers to the project on November 20,
  2018.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  They have been very helpful.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](druid) Julian Hyde
     Comments:
  [ ](druid) P. Taylor Goetz
     Comments:
  [ ](druid) Jun Rao
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Dubbo

Dubbo is a high-performance, lightweight, java based RPC framework.

Dubbo has been incubating since 2018-02-16.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Ensure PPMC is involved in organizing meetup.
  2. Self-correcting things that are not done in Apache way.
  3. Ensure more decision are happening on list.
  4. Add more committers/PPMC members

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

  How has the community developed since the last report?

  * New committer: (12 in total, 25% are from Alibaba)
    * Taosheng Wei(tswstarplanet) has been voted as committer on 2019-01-23
    * Xianjun Ke(kexianjun) has been voted as committer on 2019-1-25
    * Kun Song(satansk) has been voted as committer on 2019-1-30
    * Xiaojie Li(lixiaojiee) has been voted as committer on 2019-1-31
    * Yuhao Bi(biyuhao) has been voted as committer on 2019-2-2
    * Zhongming Hua(crazyhzm) has been voted as committer on 2019-2-18
  * New PMC member: (19 in total, excluding mentors, 52% are from Alibaba)
    * Yuhang Xiu(carryxyh) has been voted as pmc member on 2018-12-20
    * Yunkun Huang(htynkn) has been voted as pmc member on 2019-2-25
  * New users: (136 in total)
    * 18 new companies reported their using of Dubbo since last report
  * Meetup
    * Guangzhou Meetup was held on 2019-01-19, with online registration
    ~400, and on-site registration: 200+
    * Nanjing Meetup: CFP is closed, topics selection is ongoing. The
      ppmc is involved in all the way, including discussing scheduling, call
      for participation, topic selection and etc.
  * Ecosystem project(under http://github.com/dubbo, non-Apache
    repositories)
    * Future steps of how to deal with ecosystem projects has been discussed
      on the list, most of them will be brought to ASF
    * dubbo-samples has been transferred into ASF
    * dubbo-registry-nacos has been merged into 2.6.x branch
    * dubbo-configcenter-archaius has been deleted
    * dubbo-spring-cloud-project has been deleted
    * dubbo-metrics has been added, to avoid potential branding issue,
    a discussion on renaming to metrics is ongoing
  These projects are being watched by Apache Dubbo PPMC and are
  planning be moved to Apache once they meet the quality requirement.
  * Branding:
    * The branding issues for start.dubbo.io has been identified and
      the solution is being discussed
    * Non ASF maven binary snapshot distribution has been identified
      for module dubbo-registry-etcd3 and dubbo-rpc-native-thrift, the code
      will be merge into incubator-dubbo repository.
    * Unapproved maven binary distribution spring-boot-starter
      0.1.2.RELEASE and 0.2.1.RELEASE are identified.
    * All the non Apache release in GitHub has been renamed to be
      clearly different with Apache releases.

  How has the project developed since the last report?
  * Dubbo spring boot starter 0.2.1 and 0.1.2 is released on 2019-01-27
  * Dubbo 2.7.0 is released on 2019-01-29
  * Dubbo spring boot starter 2.7.0 is released on 2019-02-14
  * Dubbo Ops 0.1 is release on 2019-02-15
  * Dubbo 2.6.6 is under release vote
  * Dubbo 2.7.1 is under development
  * A dramatic increase of mailing list discussion is observed:
      * 2018-12-01~2019-02-28: 1135 emails, 96 participants, 203 topics
      * 2018-09-01~2018-11-31: 663 emails, 68 participants, 118 topics
      * 2018-06-01~2018-08-31 : 680 emails, 85 participants, 128 topics
  * Github stats: (With the increase of community, more collaboration are
  happening)
      * 2018-12-01~2019-02-02: 332 issues closed,  382 pr closed
      * 2018-09-01~2018-11-31: 182 issues closed,  190 pr closed
      * 2018-06-01~2018-08-31 : 200 issues closed, 287 pr closed
      * number of stars has grown from 22796 to 24735.
      * contributors has been grown from 144 to 179.
      * number of forks has grown from 15761 to 16603.
  * Community effort project:
      * With the help from community, the code coverage has been increase
      to 64%

How would you assess the podling’s maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [x] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

  I think Dubbo is in a good shape towards graduation.

Date of last release:

  2019-02-15

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2019-02-25

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Yes, our mentors are very responsive and have provided many useful
  feedback.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](dubbo) Justin Mclean
     Comments: Agree with the points Mark and ave raise. PPMC is being
               more proactive in fixing any issues.
  [X](dubbo) Mark Thomas
     Comments: I agree the podling is nearing graduation. Another month
               or two to consolidate their understanding of how Apache
               projects operates and I think they'll be ready to graduate.
  [X](dubbo) David Fisher
     Comments: Podling is doing well. There is an ecosystem around Dubbo
               where IP issues are murky. PPMC is appropriately evaluating
               the status of related "Dubbo" projects. The correct questions
               are being asked.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Hivemall

Hivemall is a library for machine learning implemented as Hive
UDFs/UDAFs/UDTFs.

Hivemall has been incubating since 2016-09-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Community growth (committers and users)
  2. One or more Apache Releases as an Incubator project
  3. Documentation improvements

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Github watchers/stars are gradually increasing:
    199 stars as of Mar 1 (was 181 on Nov 27)
  * Twitter account @ApacheHivemall followers are gradually increasing:
    189 followers as of Mar 1 (was 175 on Nov 27)

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Released the second Apache release v0.5.2 on Dec 3, 2018.

  Since the last report, we have
   * In the last 3 months, we opened 13 JIRA issues and closed 17 JIRA
   issues as seen in https://goo.gl/QFQEF5 (as of Mar 1)
                        Created   Resolved
             Dec 2018     1         2
             Jan 2019     6         6
             Feb 2019     6         3
   * Created 10 Pull Requests and closed 10 Pull Requests between Nov 28th
    and Feb 28th.
  https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+
created%3A2018-11-28..2019-02-28
  https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+
closed%3A2018-11-28..2019-02-28

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [x] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-12-03

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - Elected Jerome Banks as a committer on April 2, 2018.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  - Koji is active at mentoring.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](hivemall) Xiangrui Meng
     Comments:
  [ ](hivemall) Daniel Dai
     Comments:
  [x](hivemall) Koji Sekiguchi
     Comments: We've released 0.5.2 in December. We've moved repository to
               gitbox smoothly in January.
               As the lead PPMC, Makoto handles the community nicely and other
               PMC members are cooperative team players.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Hudi

Hudi provides atomic upserts and incremental data streams on Big Data

Hudi has been incubating since 2019-01-17.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Make frequent releases as per Apache guidelines
  2. Grow community
  3. Complete SGA, transfer code to ASF infra

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  * PODLINGNAMESEARCH-162 has been completed, but is not reflected on Whimsy

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Project's still being setup. Few new user inquiries, 10+ signups on dev@ ML

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. Podling name search has been completed (PODLINGNAMESEARCH-162)
  2. hudi.apache.org site has been published with community guidelines
  3. Hudi Improvement Plan (based off Apache Kafka KIP) under review
  4. Agreement over code migration method, JIRA vs Github Issues
  5. Submitted a Hudi talk abstract for upcoming Berlin Buzzwords in June 2019
  6. Issues migrated to Apache JIRA from github.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  Project still being established

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  No new committers since incubation.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

    Yes. Mentors are actively following up on ML questions and pointing out gaps

Signed-off-by:

  [X](hudi) Thomas Weise
     Comments: Nice uptick on mailing list activity and collaboration thinking.
  [ ](hudi) Luciano Resende
     Comments:
  [ ](hudi) Kishore Gopalakrishnan
     Comments:
  [X](hudi) Suneel Marthi
     Comments: Good adaption of the Apache Way by PPMC. 

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
IoTDB

IoTDB is a data store for managing large amounts of time series data such as
timestamped data from IoT sensors in industrial applications.

IoTDB has been incubating since 2018-11-18.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Release the first version;
  2. refactor codes which are hard to understand for new developers, and
     supply more design documents to help new developers.
  3. Attract more contributors;

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  - no.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - 4 new contributors joined the community: review and modify the English
  documents, add Apache Calcite adaptor demo, and discuss in the mailing list.
  - Mailing list:
   -- dev@mailing list: 59 emails are sent, and can be divided into 18
   threads (Apache Jenkins Pipeline notifications are exclude)
   -- reviews@mailing list: more than 420 mails are sent, for code review
   and new branch creation notifications.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - 48 PR are proposed totally, and 42 PR are merged.
  - 16 authors have pushed 50 commits to master and 110 commits to all
  branches.
  - 31 issues (bugs, and feature requests) are logged on JIRA, 15 of them
  are resolved.
  - Dockerfile is created, which can attract more users to try IoTDB.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

 - The project is growing.

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  - N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - N/A

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  - very Helpful.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](iotdb) Justin Mclean
     Comments: More effort needs to be made to have conversations on list.
  [X](iotdb) Christofer Dutz
     Comments:
  [](iotdb) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments:
  [X](iotdb)    Kevin McGrail
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
Christofer Dutz: Allmost no discussions on list, requested the podling to move discussions to the dev list.
Dave Fisher: It looks like Christofer's request is successful so far. No discussion yet if any contributors
             are looking like good committers/PPMC members.

--------------------
Marvin-AI

Marvin-AI is an open-source artificial intelligence (AI) platform that helps
data scientists, prototype and productionalize complex solutions with a
scalable, low-latency, language-agnostic, and standardized architecture
while
simplifies the process of exploration and modeling.

Marvin-AI has been incubating since 2018-08-21.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1.Move development infrastructure to Apache
  2.Build Community
  3.Build Releases

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  * No.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * The project began to receive help from community members.
  * The community started discussing new releases.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * New improvements in documentation and official website
  * Some improvements for a new release

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  * At least two of the mentors are sometimes active.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  * N/A

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](marvin-ai) Jim Jagielski
     Comments:
  [ ](marvin-ai) Luciano Resende
     Comments:
  [ ](marvin-ai) William Colen
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Myriad

Myriad enables co-existence of Apache Hadoop YARN and Apache Mesos together
on the same cluster and allows dynamic resource allocations across both Hadoop
and other applications running on the same physical data center
infrastructure.

Myriad has been incubating since 2015-03-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. MYRIAD-283: Prepare for 0.3.0 release (Voting ring now)
  2. MYRIAD-280: Improve overall stability
  3. MYRIAD-279: Reworking a new UI design

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  We need new mentors, we have only one active mentor right now. We have
  to increase the community and we have to increase the number of mentors
  too. The PPMC number is a problem too, we are only two PPMCs/committers,
  so we have problems with the minimum number of votes for consensus.
  https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@myriad.incubator.apache.org/msg02661.html

How has the community developed since the last report?

  An increment of activity and newcomers with a desire to contribute,
  in particular in the scope of the user interface, and at least three
  new users ready for contributing.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  After a few years of inactivity the project is slowly getting activity,
  as a matter of fact we are right now in the voting process of a new
  release apache-myriad-0.3.0-incubating-rc1.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other: Almost ready for a new release, vote pending right now.

Date of last release:

  The 0.2.0 release was issued on Jun 29, 2016.  The .3 release is planned
  for the next days, if we have any help for unlock the release.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-05-22 New committer/PMC member Juan P. Gilaberte.
  2018-03-28 New committer/PMC member Javi Roman.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  We have only one active mentor, so we have new mentors as soon as possible,
  this is one of the our main issues, we need help.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](myriad) Benjamin Hindman
     Comments:
  [X](myriad) Ted Dunning
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Nemo

Nemo is a data processing system to flexibly control the runtime behaviors
of a job to adapt to varying deployment characteristics.

Nemo has been incubating since 2018-02-04.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the community (committers, contributors, users)
  2. More releases
  3. Add and improve features

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Committers actively involved in sending PRs and doing code reviews
  * Engaged with the Beam community to register Nemo as an official Beam
  runner
  * Started to attract new contributors
  * Ran a Nemo tutorial in an open-source project venue

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Donated code to ASF
  * Released 0.1 (the first release!)
  * Committer’s guide added
  * Added Nemo Web UI
  * Created an official Beam runner
  * Improved metric collection and storage
  * Improved skew handling pass
  * Refactored runtime pass and IR DAG
  * Fixed skew handling bugs

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-12-31 release 0.1

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  None yet.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

 The community has been receiving much help from our mentors!

Signed-off-by:

  [X](nemo) Davor Bonaci
     Comments: Good progress; nothing to add. Focus on community building
needed going forward.
  [X](nemo) Hyunsik Choi
     Comments:
  [X](nemo) Byung-Gon Chun
     Comments:
  [ ](nemo) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
     Comments:
  [X](nemo) Markus Weimer
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Omid

Omid is a flexible, reliable, high performant and scalable ACID
transactional framework that allows client applications to execute transactions
on top of MVCC key/value-based NoSQL datastores (currently Apache HBase) providing
Snapshot Isolation guarantees on the accessed data.

Omid has been incubating since 2016-03-28.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Optimise Omid for the integration with Apache Phoenix.
  2. Document additional features added for the integration with Apache Phoenix, as well as, the low latency algorithm.
  3. Get positive feedback from other projects currently in Apache.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

How has the community developed since the last report?

Integration with Apache Phoenix was over, we are currently working on optimisation.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. Release 1.0.0 was published and includes all the Phoenix required features.
  2. The Apache Phoenix code that uses Omid was committed and currently Omid serves as Phoenix transaction processor.
  3. We are currently working on a minor release in Omid, 1.0.1, that includes optimization to Omid that inferred from the integration with Phoenix.
     These features mostly improve the performance of Omid, however, some are bug fixes that revealed by the integration with Phoenix while pushing Omid to its corner cases.
     We will start the release process in a few days. Jiras 124 - 135 will be part of the release.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?


Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

 2018-12-24

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

 2018-09-25

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Our mentors are extremely responsive and helpful.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](omid) Alan Gates
     Comments:  I don't see any of the issues listed under "Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation" as blockers for graduation.  The community has done multiple releases and added one committer.  Development is slow but consistent.  I do not believe the community has done a name search yet to make sure Omid is acceptable.  AFAIK that is the only blocker for graduation.  I've given this feedback to the community.
  [X](omid) James Taylor
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------

OpenWhisk

OpenWhisk is an open source, distributed Serverless computing
platform able to execute application logic (Actions) in response
to events (Triggers) from external sources (Feeds) or HTTP
requests governed by conditional logic (Rules). It provides a
programming environment supported by a REST API-based Command
Line Interface (CLI) along with tooling to support packaging and
catalog services.  The OpenWhisk platform components are packaged
as Docker containers and can be deployed directly to Docker or
deployed using Container Frameworks such as Mesos, Kubernetes,
Compose, and YARN.

OpenWhisk has been incubating since 2016-11-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
  1. Close legal transfer of trademark on "OpenWhisk" name and
     logo to ASF from IBM.
  2. Complete project maturity model assessment and formal
     graduation process.
  3. Improve release automation. A comprehensive OpenWhisk
     release includes over 20 sub-components, each drawn from its
     own github repo and each packaged as a separately
     downloadable source release.
    a. Release process/automation/documentation are here
       https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release.
    b. During incubation, we have made over a dozen conforming
       Apache releases of sub-components.  We have developed
       reasonable automation for releasing a group of
       sub-components, but there is a need to further define and
       automate the process of making a unified release of a
       coherent set of released sub-components.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?
  1. Formal hand-off of OpenWhisk trademark/logo from IBM needs to be
     executed; hopefully this will happen at the March ASF Board meeting.
  2. The podling was down to one active mentor for several months,
     which has made getting the required minimum of 3 positive IPMC
     votes for each released component a significant challenge.  This
     had a negative effect on project velocity and PPMC morale.  At
     the time of this report, the IPMC is taking action by soliciting
     additional mentors to help the project finish out its incubation.

How has the community developed since the last report?
  + dev mailing list activity:
      + We have implemented an automated process to post a daily
        archive of the OpenWhisk Team Slack to our dev mailing list.
      + Increased use of the dev list for technical discussion,
        especially around releasing sub-components and ensuring
        awareness of significant PRs before merging.
  + incubator-openwhisk Github stars: 3,825 (+168 since last report)
  + incubator-openwhisk GitHub forks: 738 (+46 since last report)
  + Slack community:
    + 1,159 members (+87 from last report).  Very active in most
      channels from both end users or the project and contributors
    + To-date: 141,783 messages sent across all channels (+15,501
      since last report)
    + Analytics: https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/admin/stats
  + The  bi-weekly Zoom "Technical Interchange" continues to be well
  received and attended.
    Complete videos posted to OW YouTube channel and detailed notes to our
    CWIKI.
  + New Contributors
    + 13 new ICLAs received (including some that were missed in the
    previous two status reports):
      1. Sam Baxter 6/11/18
      2. Emanuel Russo 8/6/18
      3. Prabhash Rathnayake 10/2/18
      4. Shawn Black 10/2/18
      5. Moritz Raho 10/4/18
      6. Duy Nguyen 10/4/18
      7. Sam Hjelmfelt 11/21/18
      8. Marc Schwind 1/28/19
      9. Avi Weit 2/5/19
      10. Lars Andersson 2/8/19
      11. Maciej Małecki 2/26/19
      12. Somaya Jamil 2/27/19
      13. Erez Hadad 3/1/19
   + 5 new people Joined Community Technical Interchange calls and
   introduced themselves:
     1. Thomas Peikert: grad. student using OW, looking to make
     contributions in future
     2. Erez Hadad (IBM Research),  working on Serverless, incl. OW and
     knative, etc.
     3. Rahul (Adobe) - working on some depl. strat.  starting a CWIKI
     post...
     4. Lavanya (Adobe)
     5. Manoj (Adobe) - SW quality engineer

How has the project developed since the last report?
  1. There has been a focus on clearing the backlog of PRs and issues
     across all our github repos, motivated by a desire to make a
     unified release of all the OpenWhisk system sub-components.
     There is still significant work needed to clear out stale issues
     in the core repository, but the PR backlog mentioned in multiple
     previous reports has been rectified.
  2. Project technical highlights include (a) the addition of a .NET
     runtime component, (b) merged support for concurrent activation
     processing, (c) merged support for a "lean" system configuration
     suited for resource-limited hosts, (d) added the capability of
     deploying OpenWhisk on Apache YARN, (e) the unification of the
     `wskdeploy` and `wsk` CLIs into a single `wsk` cli.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?  Please feel free to add your
own commentary.

   [ ] Initial setup
   [ ] Working towards first release
   [ ] Community building
   [X] Nearing graduation
   [ ] Other:

Date of last release:
    Apache OpenWhisk Composer v0.10.0-incubating (2/27/19)
    Links to latest releases of all components can be found here:
https://openwhisk.apache.org/downloads.html

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
    New Committers+PPMC:
      1. Olivier Tardieu (2/27/19)

    New Committers:
      1. Michele Sciabarra (1/8/19)
      2. Rob Allen (1/8/19)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Our sole remaining mentor has been helpful and responsive, but
  release voting has been challenging.  The recent efforts of the IPMC
  to identify projects needing additional mentors and should allow us
  to regain our desired release velocity.

Signed-off-by:

[ ] (openwhisk) Bertrand Delacretaz

Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Pinot

Pinot is a distributed columnar storage engine that can ingest data in real-
time and serve analytical queries at low latency.

Pinot has been incubating since 2018-10-17.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Improving documentation
  2. Cutting a release
  3. Building community contribution


Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  External contributors have added some new features and improved
  documentations.
  - Adding parquet record reader
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-pinot/pull/3852
  - Adding an aggregation function for population standard
    variance
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-pinot/pull/3850
  - Improving documentation
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-pinot/pull/3826

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - We finished to update LICENSE/NOTICE files for both source
    and binary releases. (this item was ongoing for the last report)
  - We have updated pom files for release preparation.
    (adding rat, maven-release-plugin, maven-checksum-plugin...etc)
  - We are currently in the voting process for the first
    Apache release candidate.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  We haven't had a change in committers or PPMC since our incubation.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Yes, mentors have been very helpful and have responded in a timely
  manner. They also helped us on release verification for a community
  vote.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](pinot) Kishore Gopalakrishna
     Comments:
  [ ](pinot) Jim Jagielski
     Comments:
  [ ](pinot) Roman Shaposhnik
     Comments:
  [X](pinot) Olivier Lamy
     Comments:
  [X](pinot) Felix Cheung
     Comments: Congrats on vote passing on your first release

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Pony Mail

Pony Mail is a mail-archiving, archive viewing, and interaction service,
that
can be integrated with many email platforms.

Pony Mail has been incubating since 2016-05-27.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow community
  2. Lower bar for participation
  3. Get some more releases out

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

How has the community developed since the last report?
- No noteworthy development.

How has the project developed since the last report?
- Nothing noteworthy here either

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-02-5

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](ponymail) John D. Ament
     Comments:
  [ ](ponymail) Sharan Foga
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
SAMOA

SAMOA provides a collection of distributed streaming algorithms for the most
common data mining and machine learning tasks such as classification,
clustering, and regression, as well as programming abstractions to develop
new algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines
(DSPEs).

It features a pluggable architecture that allows it to run on several DSPEs
such as Apache Storm, Apache S4, and Apache Samza.

SAMOA has been incubating since 2014-12-15.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

 1. Revitalize the project by resuming development
 2. Enlarge the user base and contributing community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

 *  Mailing list activity (September 2018 - November 2018):
    * @dev: 8 messages

How has the project developed since the last report?
  * 1 new PRs created
  * Working on code for supporting Apache Heron

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:
  2016-09-30

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  January 2018

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Yes, the mentors have been helpful and responsive.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](samoa) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [ ](samoa) Ashutosh Chauhan
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
ShardingSphere

Sharding-Sphere is an ecosystem of transparent distributed database
middleware, focusing on data sharding, distributed transaction and database
orchestration.

ShardingSphere has been incubating since 2018-11-10.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Prepare for the first ASF release.
  2. Fix bugs and develop new features.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Not bad.
  Two committers and PPMC members have been officially invited to the
  project.
  The community participation has been active, with multiple problems
  brought out and solved.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Two members have been officially invited to the PPMC.
  We are closer to the first Apache release.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  Not finished for the 1st apache release yet.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  28 Jan 2019

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](shardingsphere) Craig L Russell
     Comments:
  [ ](shardingsphere) Benjamin Hindman
     Comments:
  [X](shardingsphere) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments: ShardingSphere already made a first step to get new
     committer onboard, it's now working its first Apache release.
  [X](shardingsphere) Von Gosling
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
SINGA

SINGA is a distributed deep learning platform.

SINGA has been incubating since 2015-03-17.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Release version 2.0 which was scheduled in Dec 2018 but has been delayed
  2. Start the graduation process in about 2-3 month
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

N/A

How has the community developed since the last report?

We have a new PPMC member, Moaz, who was a committer.
We have a new committer, Wanqi Xue.

  Number of emails from Sep to Dec.
  56 Dec 2018
  22 Jan 2019
  22 Feb 2019
  15 Mar 2019

How has the project developed since the last report?

We have done the name search for "Apache Singa"
We enhanced Singa's performance on Intel CPU by calling Intel's MKLDNN library.  
We have updated the website and documentation to include the instructions for "How to prepare a release".


How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-06-06

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-12-21

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](singa) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [X](singa) Ted Dunning
     Comments:
  [ ](singa) Thejas Nair
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
One key question for the project is to determine how dependent the project is on a single group of contributors. This is a key community resilience factor and should be addressed by the project. This isn't a graduation preventer ... it is, however, very important to solve.

--------------------
SkyWalking

Skywalking is an APM (application performance monitor), especially for
microservice, Cloud Native and container-based architecture systems. Also
known as a distributed tracing system. It provides an automatic way to
instrument applications: no need to change any of the source code of the
target application; and an collector with an very high efficiency streaming
module.

SkyWalking has been incubating since 2017-12-08.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. IP clearance. [RESOLVED]
  3. First ASF release. (SkyWalking 5.0) [RESOLVED]
  3. Further ASF culture and processes. [RESOLVED]
  4. 5.x releases are stable for product, and have 5 open end users, at
  least. [RESOLVED]
  5. Support multiple languages agents/SDKs. [RESOLVED]
  6. Integration with other pupolar OSS systems. Zipkin data format
  supported. [RESOLVED]
  7. Clear Brand issues with other ecosystem projects. [RESOLVED]

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  Have six Apache releases already. 5.0.0-alpha, 5.0.0-beta, 5.0.0-beta2,
  5.0.0-RC2, 5.0.0-GA, 6.0.0-alpha, 6.0.0-beta, 6.0.0-GA

  There are several related projects and GitHub org in SkyWalking
  ecosystem, before or during project joined the ASF incubator, such as
  .net, node.js and php agents, they were using skywalking-* prefix in
  project name and releases, which may cause brand issue.
  We have fixed these. All skywalking-* have been renamed to skyapm-*, old
  releases with skywalking- removed(maybe not necessary).
  Old existing GitHub orgs, including OpenSkywalking, OpenSkywalkingTest,
  SkywalkingContrib, have been renamed to SkyAPM, SkyAPMTest or
  removed(SkywalkingContrib).

  Another brand related issue is `skywalking` in DockerHub, including some
  binary releases, which have been removed and moved to ASF Infra
  - https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/skywalking-base
  - https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/skywalking-oap-server
  - https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/skywalking-ui
  All of these are only including the approved releases.

  All known brand issues have been addressed and solved. Be good for the
  graduation.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. SkyWalking is working with Envoy community, trying to contribute a new
  service mesh probe.
  2. Lang Li, Yixiong and Jinlin Fu Cao have been voted and joined as
  committer.
  3. Yao Wang and Jian Tan have been voted and joined as PPMC
  4. There are 92 people to contribute codes to our main repo. 18 more than
  the last report.
  5  Over 60 companies have confirmed they are using SkyWalking
  through issue report, our powered-by page or through our ecosystem pages.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  There has been over 100 commits by more than 27 contributors in the three
  months.
  In 6.1.0(in developing) release milestones, there are 81 issues and pull
  requests solved.
  SkyWalking 6.0.0-GA is suitable for production.
  In 6.0.0-GA release milestones, there are 134 issues and pull requests
  solved.
  In 6.0.0-beta release milestones, there are 153 issues and pull requests
  solved.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [x] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  Jan 29th, 2019 6.0.0-GA

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Jan 29th, 2019

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](skywalking) Luke Han
     Comments:
  [X](skywalking) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments: I think skywalking is in a good sharp of graduation by
     getting more and more developer involved.
  [X](skywalking) Mick Semb Wever
     Comments: Updated the "Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation" section, as it had been misread, and the list had become an accumulation of resolved items.
  [X](skywalking) Ignasi Barrera
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Superset

Superset is an enterprise-ready web application for data exploration, data
visualization and dashboarding.

Superset has been incubating since 2017-05-21.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
1. Plan and execute our first Apache release. Since the last report, we have removed  all questionable third party code from the repo, which was a major blocker for the source code release, and are ready to begin the work on the first code release. 
2. Address remaining project operations issues. See below.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMS) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?
For project operations, we have made the following progress and need the following support:
* Held a meeting on December 13 with Mentors, PMC, and Committers to learn more about the Apache way and clarified ways of contributing and collaborating that would uphold the principles. The notes from this meeting were shared on the dev list. 
* No more unapproved releases. We are working towards our first official release; see above. 
* Trademark: We continue to have challenges here. Our attempts to complete this task has been unsuccessful and we would appreciate more specific guidance. 

How has the community developed since the last report?
* Organic growth of our Github contributors (306->343), forks (3974->4300), watchers
  (1157->1170) and stars (22,097->23,326)

How has the project developed since the last report?
* Added Christine Chambers as a new committer
* In general, there has been a healthy, constant flow of bug fixes, quality improvements and new features. Please see project’s commit log on Github for more details. Some highlights:

New features
* Refined layout of SQL Lab.
* Added back-end for tagging system, for organization and discovery of content.
* Added support for customization of deployments: feature flags, custom logo. 
* Decoupled visualizations as plugins that can be added/removed. 
* Omnibar on dashboard page, to enable users to easily switch between dashboards.
* New deck.gl polygon visualization type that accommodates aggregated spatial types (zip, geohash, etc.)

Bug fixes, code quality and housekeeping
* All files now include ASF header.
* A lighter, more accurate events logger for user interactivities with timing.
* More translations were added.
* Sped up build time and tests on Travis CI.
* Fixed vulnerabilities from dependencies. 

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

[ ] Initial setup
[X] Working towards first release
[ ] Community building
[ ] Nearing graduation
[ ] Other:

Date of last release: No official release yet since being voted into Apache
Incubation.  (Planning for the first Apache release in Q2, 2019)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
* Christine Chambers - Committer (2019-01-06)

Signed-off-by:
[ ](superset) Ashutosh Chauhan
    Comments:
[ ](superset) Luke Han
    Comments:
[X](superset) Alan Gates
    Comments:  Sent email to dev list following up on the request for help with trademark issues.  I have been impressed over the last 3 months with the renewed effort this community is putting into learning and adopting the Apache Way.


IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Tamaya

Tamaya is a highly flexible configuration solution based on an modular,
extensible and injectable key/value based design, which should provide a
minimal but extendible modern and functional API leveraging SE, ME and EE
environments.

Tamaya has been incubating since 2014-11-14.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the PPMC from the existing community.
  2. Make another Release
  3. Blog about Tamaya

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  * We'd like to graduate soon.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * elected 2 new committers and onboarded them
  * discussions/we benefited from the Gitbox migration as it makes
  contribution much easier

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * frequent bugreports and discussions via Jira/mailing list
  * new external contributions (code improvements, Jira issues, OSGi
  bugfixes)
  * homepage overhaul

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

   2017-05-28 0.3-incubating

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  * 2018-12: Aaron Coburn
  * 2018-12: William Lieurance

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  * As the project needs a wider audience, maybe mentors with interest in
  Tamaya would be welcome.
  * Current mentors did not sign-off the report in February and did not react on mails :-(

Signed-off-by:

  [X](tamaya) John D. Ament
     Comments: Podling is continuing to struggle.  I strongly disagree with the notion that this project is ready to graduate or nearing readiness.  It has not executed a release in 2 years, Development activity has definitely increased in the past few months, and with the addition of 2 new committers may see more sustained progress, but we need to ensure that this vitality continues on.
  [ ](tamaya) David Blevins
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Tephra

Tephra is a system for providing globally consistent transactions
on top of Apache HBase and other storage engines.

Tephra has been incubating since 2016-03-07.

Two most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Improve community engagement
  2. Increase adoption

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

- None at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

- 1 new JIRA filed since the last report
- 1 new bug created since the last report

How has the project developed since the last report?

- Working on 0.16.0-incubating release

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-09-04

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

- None since coming to incubation

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

- Mentors are helpful and responsive

Signed-off-by:

  [X](tephra) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [X](tephra) James Taylor
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Training

The Training project aims to develop resources which can be used for training
purposes in various media formats, languages and for various Apache and
non-Apache target projects.

Training has been incubating since 2019-02-21.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Agree upon underlying technology stack and architecture for training content
  2. Develop first training topic contents
  3. Set up our contribution process

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

- no critical issues at this point in time

How has the community developed since the last report?

- The project has been set up recently, so there is an initial
activation/development towards a community.
- The dev mailing list is active. Total number of posts in February were 112
and in March so far (5 March) already 50. Total number of
subscribers is 25.

How has the project developed since the last report?

- This is our first report

- The scope of the project deliverables,
core procedures, details regarding website,
and code management are under discussion.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  n.a.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  n.a.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](training) Justin Mclean
     Comments: Off to a good start.
  [x](training) Craig Russell
     Comments:
  [X](training) Christofer Dutz
     Comments:
  [X](training) Lars Francke
     Comments:


IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Zipkin

Zipkin is a distributed tracing system. It helps gather timing data needed
to troubleshoot latency problems in microservice architectures.

Zipkin has been incubating since 2018-08-29.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Finalize the first release of the Apache Zipkin (incubating) for
  Apache Karaf
  2. Migrate other repositories to ASF Github organization
  3. Work towards releasing more Apache Zipkin (incubating) components once
  migration is completed

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  The first release was very challenging. The Zipkin community found The
  Apache Incubator established practices to be somewhat hostile and
  unwelcoming for the newcomers. The community felt frustration and demotivation
  to the the point that the issues had been raised for the attention of the board.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  A lot of work has been done to get the first release out, by all means
  a great achievement. The team and community is looking forward to see
  the positive changes within Apache Incubator with respect to the
  feedback provided.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  The team has mastered the Apache CI/CD infrastructure and was able to
  quickly do the switch over for the first migrated repository. Also, the team
  better understands how the incubation process works and what to watch for.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2019-02-26

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2019-02-26

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](zipkin) Michael Semb Wever
     Comments:
  [ ](zipkin) John D. Ament
     Comments:
  [X](zipkin) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments:
  [X](zipkin) Andriy Redko
     Comments:
  [x](zipkin) Sheng Wu
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


--------------------
Iceberg

Iceberg is a table format for large, slow-moving tabular data.

Iceberg has been incubating since 2018-11-16.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Update build for Apache release, add LICENSE/NOTICE to Jars.
  2. Make the first Apache release.
(https://github.com/apache/incubator-iceberg/milestone/1)
  3. Grow the Iceberg community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  * No issues that require attention.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * The community has continued to receive new contributors
  * Several contributors are reliable helping review pull requests. Because of
    these review contributions and the small number of committers, the
    community voted to relax the RTC requirements and allow committers to push
    their own changes if the community has reviewed the PR. This helps develop
    reviewers and gets changes in faster. The vote also set reasonable limits
    for this practice: PRs must be up for at least 2 days and this is only for
    the first year, while we are working with a small set of committers.
  * 

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Podling name search concluded that Iceberg is a suitable name.
    (See PODLINGNAMESEARCH-163)
  * The community voted to accept a large PR with a Python implementation.
  * Contributors are fixing important predicate push-down issues, including
    case sensitivity, filtering on nested types, missing file metrics, etc.
  * Contributors added support for plugging in file stream encryption.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup (name clearance approval pending)
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  None yet

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  None yet

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Yes.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](iceberg) Ryan Blue
     Comments: I wrote the first pass of the report.
  [ ](iceberg) Julien Le Dem
     Comments:
  [X](iceberg) Owen O'Malley
     Comments: (Approval copied from +1 on dev list)
  [ ](iceberg) James Taylor
     Comments:
  [ ](iceberg) Carl Steinbach
     Comments:

March2019 (last edited 2019-03-13 06:23:27 by SharanFoga)