May 2008 Board reports (see ReportingSchedule).
These reports are due to the Incubator PMC by 14 May 2008
Abdera released it's 0.4.0-incubating release on April 11th. We've been in incubation since June 2006 and main focus moving forward will be working towards graduation and a 1.0 release. Main item to resolve before graduation is more active committer involvement. 0.4.0 saw a marked increase in community contributions. We also need to continue improving documentation.
CouchDB is a distributed document-oriented database system written in Erlang. The project entered incubation on February 12th, 2008.
Work continued on adding the Reduce-part of our Map/Reduce powered view system. Code for this is not yet in SVN, but is near completion. We also began making CouchDB configurable at runtime. IBM want to contribute JSearch-(JSON indexing built on Lucene)-support to CouchDB. We are in the process of discussing how to do this with the developers. JSearch as IBM-internal clearance of being added to Apache projects. The license of this unknown at this stage.
Finally, we have been discussion open work items for our upcoming 0.8 and 1.0 releases respectively. We hope to be able to produce a 0.8 release soon.
NMaven develops plugins and integration for Maven to make building and using .NET languages a first-class citizen in Maven.
Incubating since: 2006-11-17
Items to resolve before graduation
- More active committer involvement. We have two active committers from different organizations but need at least one more.
- Voted on and did first release
- Many more community patches are coming in.
- Lost one mentor due to personal reasons.
- We lost a lot of features when we rewrote the code so the plan is to start reimplementing these features.
- We have a number of patches for an old snapshot, which is very different from current trunk. Need to get all this migrated into the current trunk (related to above).
Apache PDFBox is an open source Java library for working with PDF documents. PDFBox entered incubation on February 7th, 2008.
No progress last month as we're still waiting for the software grants for the PDFBox sources. Once received, we'll finish the migration to Apache infrastructure. We also need to do a more thorough license and export review and work on migrating the web sites and the user community.
Issues before graduation:
- Bring the sources to Apache
- Increase community size and activity
- Release once all licensing and export issues are resolved
Shindig is a reference implementation of the OpenSocial and gadgets stack.
Incubating since: 2007-12-06
High-level status summary: Shindig community growing and working on OpenSocial v0.8 implementation.
Aiming to get Infrastructure to provision a Zone (but progress is slow): https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1585
- Retired 10 inactive committers (from Google)
Shindig docs are coming together: http://chrisschalk.com/shindig_docs/shindig_sql_tutorial/shindig_data_tutorials.html
- Formally update the incubator status page (in progress)
- Technical progress:
Initial work towards implementing OpenSocial v0.8
- Lots of progress getting new RESTful server implemented
- Implemented full OAuth support
- Top 3 things to resolve prior to graduation:
- Improve diversity of committers (progress, but on-going)
- Run through at least one release (seems like 0.8-compliance is a good time)
<there seem to be only 2>
Sling is a framework to develop content centric web applications based on the idea of modularizing the rendering of HTTP resources.
Sling entered incubation on September 5th, 2007.
- Sling saw an increased community activity over the last two months.
- Present at Apache Con EU 08 with a BOF, a Fast Feather Track presentation and several mentions in other talks.
Sling won the 5th prize at the JAX Innovation Award (http://jax-award.de)
- Sling enjoyed an intensive quarter of development moving towards an initial release. Currently we are finishing up and taliating issues required in the initial release.
- Sling is participating in the GSOC program with Bertrand Delacretaz mentoring Janandith Jayawardena developing integration support for the Scala programming language.
- Talks between folks of the Apache Felix project and the Sling project took place which resulted in an agreement to prepare moving the Sling Management Console to the Felix project.
Issues before graduation
- Make an incubating Sling release.
- Grow a more diverse community (so far commits mostly from Day employees). Getting the first release out will hopefully help.
Licensing and other issues
Tuscany simplifies the development, deployment and management of distributed applications built as compositions of service components. These components may be implemented with a range of technologies and connected using a variety of communication protocols. Tuscany implements relevant open standards including, but not limited to, the Service Component Architecture standard defined by the OASIS OpenCSA member section, and related technologies.
Incubating since: 2005-11-30
Top issues? None, graduation votes have started!
- Releases: SCA 1.2 and SDO 1.1 are out and SDO 1.1.1 RCs are currently under review
- Voted in three new committers - Mario Antollini, Feng Wang, and Giorgio Zoppi
- strengthening of links with other open source communities such as with the Apache ODE BPEL community and with the communities around OSGi
- Six students undertaking Google Summer of Code projects with Tuscany