Incubator PMC report for September 2018

** FINAL - DO NOT EDIT **

Timeline

Wed September 05

Podling reports due by end of day

Sun September 09

Shepherd reviews due by end of day

Sun September 09

Summary due by end of day

Tue September 11

Mentor signoff due by end of day

Wed September 12

Report submitted to Board

Wed September 19

Board meeting

Shepherd Assignments

Dave Fisher

Pony Mail

Dave Fisher

Tephra

Drew Farris

Omid

Drew Farris

S2Graph

John Ament

Doris

John Ament

SkyWalking

Justin Mclean

Gearpump

P. Taylor Goetz

Hivemall

P. Taylor Goetz

Superset

P. Taylor Goetz

Toree

Timothy Chen

Crail

Timothy Chen

OpenWhisk

Timothy Chen

Warble

[none]

Annotator

[none]

Daffodil

[none]

Druid

[none]

Dubbo

[none]

Griffin

[none]

Joshua

[none]

Milagro

[none]

Myriad

[none]

Nemo

[none]

PageSpeed

[none]

Pulsar

[none]

Quickstep

[none]

SAMOA

[none]

SINGA

[none]

SensSoft

[none]

Spot

[none]

Tamaya

[none]

Taverna

[none]

Zipkin

Report content

Incubator PMC report for September 2018

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and
codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.

There are presently 52 podlings incubating. During the month of August,
podlings executed 8 distinct releases and there are several ongoing votes 
on releases for September. Some long standing release votes were resolved.  
We added three new IPMC members.

Several podlings are heading towards graduation. We had one project, 
Gossip, retire to the attic. BatchEE seems stuck in performing the last 
graduation steps and needs some nudging over the line.

There were no IP clearances.

A number of podlings (3) that didn't report has decreased and Pony Mail has 
finally reported. Senssoft has some issues that stoped it from reporting 
but they are currently being addressed. Milagro has missed several reports
in a row and has failed to respond to queries to why this has occurred.
Gearpump have indicated they are discussing retiring.

Discussion continues about with to do about missing mentors and some 
actions should be taken in the next month including contacting mentors and 
asking if  they still want to continue in the role. This may result in a 
number of mentors needing to be replaced, and currently it is not known what 
mentor capacity the IPMC has. We've had a number of members join the IPMC 
to mentor projects this month which is encouraging. Given the low levels of 
activity on some projects (as indicated by sign off rates and a sampling 
of email list activity) this is a serious issue for the IPMC.

There's also been discussion on some podlings spending too long in 
incubation and hopefully that will lead to a few more graduations and 
retirements in the near future.

Changes have been suggested to the podling report and incubator proposal 
template that should help in small ways with the above situations.

A podling, Superset, has been making releases not in line with the Apache 
release policy. I've asked the podling to correct this and it's mentors are 
helping out with this and other issues. The podling has been almost 2 years 
in incubation and has made a large number of "unofficial" releases (50+).

* Community

 New IPMC members:
 - Andriy Redko
 - Christofer Dutz
 - William Colen

 People who left the IPMC:
 None

* New Podlings

 - Zipkin
 - DLab
 - Marvin-AI

* Podlings that failed to report, (perhaps) expected next month

 - Gearpump (discussing retirement)
 - Milagro (no response missing multiple reports in a row)

* Graduations

 None this month.

* Releases

 The following releases entered distribution during the month of
 August:
 - ServiceComb Chassis 1.0.0
 - ServiceComb Service-Centre 1.0.0
 - Pulsar 2.1.0
 - Echarts 4.1.0
 - Toree 0.2.0
 - Openwhisk CLI 0.9.0
 - Airflow 1.10.0
 - Unomi 1.3.0

* IP Clearance

 None

* Legal / Trademarks

 No issues or discussions.

* Infrastructure

 No issues.

* Miscellaneous
 - Gossip podling was retired.
 - HAWQ graduated to TLP last month.
 - A DRAT prototype can be found here 
   (http://drat-vm.apache.org:8080/proteus-new/)

* Credits
None
----------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Table of Contents
Airflow
Annotator
Crail
Daffodil
Doris
Druid
Dubbo
Griffin
Hivemall
Myriad
Nemo
Omid
OpenWhisk
Pony Mail
Pulsar
Quickstep
S2Graph
SAMOA
SensSoft
SINGA
SkyWalking
Spot
Superset
Tamaya
Taverna
Tephra
Warble

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
Airflow

Airflow is a workflow automation and scheduling system that can be used to 
author and manage data pipelines.

Airflow has been incubating since 2016-03-31.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1.Once we make a release with the licensing fix we will move forward
  with graduation.
  2.
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of? None

How has the community developed since the last report?
  1. Since our last podling report 1 month ago (i.e. between August 5 & 
  September 4, inclusive), we grew our contributors from 512 to 548 (36 new 
  contributors)
  2. Since our last podling report 1 month ago (i.e. between August 5 & 
  September 4, inclusive), we resolved 129 pull requests (currently at 2963 
  closed PRs)
  3. Since being accepted into the incubator, the number of companies 
  officially
  using Apache Airflow has risen from 30 to 193, 10 new from the last 
  podling report 1 month ago.

How has the project developed since the last report?
  See above : 129 PRs resolved, 36 new contributors, & 10 new companies  
  officially using it. We also released 1.10.0, our 4th Apache Release while 
  in the incubator as seen on https://pypi.org/project/apache-airflow/  #history

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [x] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-08-27

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
Kaxil Naik on May 7 & Tao Feng on Aug 3

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](airflow) Chris Nauroth
     Comments:
  [ ](airflow) Hitesh Shah
     Comments:
  [x](airflow) Jakob Homan
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Annotator

Annotator provides annotation enabling code for browsers, servers, and 
humans.

Annotator has been incubating since 2016-08-30.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Expanding the PMC
  2. Establishing a regular release cadence
  3. Engaging the broader community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  The project was mostly idle the second half of the summer, with active 
  maintainers consumed by travel and other obligations, and missed board 
  reports.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - The PMC and contributors met face to face at the I Annotate conference in 
    San Francisco
  - The project is seeing more frequent cloning and forking

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - The project packaged a pre-release for developer testing
  - The website now incorporates a demo thanks to a new contributor

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-06-06: gerben

Signed-off-by:

  [X](annotator) Nick Kew
     Comments: Report above explains low activity.  Mostly seems to be
     happening @github.
  [ ](annotator) Brian McCallister
     Comments:
  [X](annotator) Daniel Gruno
     Comments: Project seems to be in hiatus. Might be worth discussing
     very soon what their options are, or if they are okay with this
     activity level.
  [X](annotator) Jim Jagielski
     Comments: Not sure whether it makes sense for this podling to
     continue at this activity level

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Crail

Crail is a storage platform for sharing performance critical
data in distributed data processing jobs at very high speed.

Crail has been incubating since 2017-11-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Community building: attract additional contributors from different
     companies/affiliations + Crail deployments
  2. Increase visibility / PR
  3. Harden the code and improve stability and usability

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  * None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * A twitter account "@ApacheCrail" was recently created

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Container support made available
  * Improved failure handling (more meaningful error messages)
  * Improved documentation
  * Working towards second release
  * Constant activities on bug fixes, quality improvements and
    additional features at https://github.com/apache/incubator-crail

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

 [ ] Initial setup
 [ ] Working towards first release
 [X] Community building
 [ ] Nearing graduation
 [ ] Other:

Date of last release:
  5/28/2018

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  2017-11-01 (entering incubation)

Signed-off-by:

  [x](crail) Julian Hyde
     Comments: The project is healthy and making good progress. As noted, 
     community building is the main challenge now. The technology is
     in good shape, so I believe people will start adopting.
     I am very pleased that they have created a twitter account; it should
     allow them to build community daily.
  [x](crail) Luciano Resende
     Comments:
  [ ](crail) Raphael Bircher
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Daffodil

Apache Daffodil is an implementation of the Data Format Description Language
(DFDL) used to convert between fixed format data and XML/JSON.

Daffodil has been incubating since 2017-08-27.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Increase community growth and participation
  2. Establish a frequent release schedule
  3. Work with other Apache projects where Daffodil could provided extra
     functionality

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  - None, though an extra mentor would be beneficial. We currently only
  have 2 mentors.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - Received and merged new features from two new outside users
  - Mike Beckerle was accepted for a talk on Daffodil at ApacheCon
  - Steve Lawrence was accepted for a talk on Daffodil at a local Meetup

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - Second release as an Apache incubator was completed (version 2.2.0)
  - 42 commits from 6 different developers, including fairly large
  features and refactoring
  - 22 issues created, 49 issues resolved

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-09-05

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - None, same as project incubation

Signed-off-by:

  [X](daffodil) John D. Ament
     Comments: Agree with Dave on all points.
  [X](daffodil) David Fisher
     Comments: Development is going well. Community building will need
     some focus. The podling could use an additional Mentor.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Doris

Doris is a MPP-based interactive SQL data warehousing for reporting and
analysis.

Doris has been incubating since 2018-07-18.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Finish the transfer of the repository
  2. Prepare and set up the website for project.
  3. Set up and start to develop by Apache infrastructure and tools.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

N/A.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  The SGA has been received by the Secretary.
  All of the initial committers have filled their ICLA and accounts are 
  created.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  N/A.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  N/A.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  N/A.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](doris) Dave Fisher
     Comments: The repository in GitHub is just about ready.
  [ ](doris) Luke Han
     Comments:
  [X](doris) Willem Jiang
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Druid 

Druid is a high-performance, column-oriented, distributed data store.

Druid has been incubating since 2018-02-28.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Plan and execute our first Apache release.
  2. Move the website to Apache infrastructure.
  3. Expanding the community and adding more committers

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

 - None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - A healthy, constant flow of bug fixes, quality improvements and new
  features are still ongoing at https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - We have renamed our packages from `io.druid.` to `org.apache.druid`, and 
  we are currently working on updating our NOTICE file.
  - We expect to do a code freeze for our first incubating release, 
  0.13.0-incubating, within the next two weeks.
  - Since the last report there have been 61 commits from 16 individuals.
  - We have released 0.12.2, a non-incubator bugfix release.
  - We are making a 0.12.3 bugfix release to address certain bugs found after 
  0.12.2 was released.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  - Druid 0.12.2 on 2018-08-09 (non-Apache release)
  - No official Apache release yet since beginning Apache Incubation

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - Project is still functioning with the initial set of committers.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](druid) Julian Hyde
     Comments: The first release will be an important milestone. (During
       incubation the project has made non-ASF releases, with permission.)
       All other aspects of the project are functioning well; the project
       has built a vibrant community and lets the community drive its
       decision-making. I think it is not far from graduating.
  [x](druid) P. Taylor Goetz
     Comments:
  [ ](druid) Jun Rao
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  Justin Mclean: I not sure that a project could be considered for graduation 
  without making a first release or adding committers.

--------------------
Dubbo

Dubbo is a high-performance, lightweight, java based RPC framework.
Dubbo has been incubating since 2018-02-16.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Community building
  2. Ensure more discussion and decision making to be happening on the
  mailing list.
  3. New PPMC Member

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Meetup
    * Shanghai Meetup (2018-06-23): Online registration ~700, on-site 
    registration: 300+
    * Shenzhen Meetup (2018-07-29): Online registration ~2k, on-site 
    registration: 700+
    * Chengdu Meetup (2018-08-26): Online registration ~1000, on-site 
    registration: 350+
  * The community has voted for new logo
  * The community has voted for new website
  * New committer:
    * htynkn has been voted as committer on 2018-07-06
    * kimming has been voted as committer on 2018-07-30
    * diecui1201 has been voted as committer on 2018-07-30
    * carryxyh has been voted as committer on 2018-08-20
  * Dubbo has joined CNCF landscape: https://landscape.cncf.io/selected=dubbo
  * Dubbo has reached 20k stars and 100 contributors, as of August 29th
    * number of stars has grown from ~16000 to 21126 since start incubating.
    * contributors has been grown from 75 to 119 since start incubating.
    * It also has 14625 forks, which ranks #3 in all Github Java projects.
  * 15 new companies reported their using of Dubbo since last report, 104 in 
  total
  * The following projects has been added to external Apache Dubbo 
  ecosystem(http://github.com/dubbo, non-Apache repositories):
    * dubbo-php-frmework
    * dubbo-serialiazation-avro
    * dubbo-sentinel-support
    * Intellij IDEA plugin
    * dubbo-rpc-native-thrift
  These projects are being watched by Apache Dubbo PPMC and are planning be 
  moved to Apache once they meet the quality requirement.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * 2.6.2 is released
  * 2.6.3 release is under way, RC4 is being voted
  * All the package name has been changed to org.apache.dubbo and group
  id has been changed to org.apache on 2.7.x branch
  * New dubbo website has been published.
  * Dubbo-ops has been refactored into a spring-boot project.
  * Mailing list stats:
      * August: 193 emails, 33 topics, 44, participants
      * July: 248 emails, 46 topics,  45 participants
      * June: 195 emails, 41 topics,  32 participants
      * May: 138 emails, 23 topics, 35 participants (last report 2018-06-05)
  Comparing to last report period, the number of mails/topics/participants 
  are all increased. More people
  (including PPMC, committer and users) are getting involved to the mailing 
  list, and more discussion is happening on the list.
  * Gtihub stats:
      * August: 114 issues closed,  155 pr closed
      * July: 181 issues closed, 56 pr closed
      * June: 68 issues closed,  79 pr closed
      * May: 106 issues closed, 75 pr closed(last report 2018-06-05)
  The stats shows more people are coming to Github, more pull request
  are coming, issues are getting solved.
  The community is responding quicker to issues and pull request than before.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  * 2.6.2 has been released on 2018-6-7.
  * 2.6.3 RC5 is under release process.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Yuhang Xiu(carryxyh) has been voted as committer on 2018-08-20.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](dubbo) Justin Mclean
     Comments: I agree with Mark that this project can be difficult to 
               follow.
               It would be good to see more discussion on the mailing list.
  [ ](dubbo) Jean-Frederic Clere
     Comments:
  [X](dubbo) Mark Thomas
     Comments: Generally, the podling is doing well. The community is still
               getting used to using mailing lists but I have no concerns at
               at this stage of the podling's development
               I do remain concerned at the volume of github notifications
               and the difficulty in following them. I plan to chat with the
               infrastructure folks at ApacheCon NA to see if there are any
               changes that could be made on the infrastructure side to help
               in this area.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Griffin

Griffin is a open source Data Quality solution for distributed data systems 
at any scale in both streaming or batch data context

Griffin has been incubating since 2016-12-05.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Preparation for graduation.
  2. Enhance user guide documents.
  3. Grow and marketing the community.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - 1 new PPMC member(Lionel Liu) have been elected.
  - 4 new committers(Jason Liao, Jenny Li, Liu Jin, Grant Xuexu) have been 
  elected.
  - 6 new contributors contributed to our community.
  - 10+ users have contacted us for use cases.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - Active development is moving on well, 101 commits in last three months.
  - Voting for releasing version 0.3.0-incubating.
  - Refactor measure module to make its architecture simpler and extensible.
  - Refine Griffin DSL to remove complex expression.
  - Looking forward to graduation release.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-05-16

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - Last committers(Jason Liao) were elected at July 31, 2018
  - Last PPMC Member(Lionel Liu) were elected at July 8, 2018

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](griffin) Kasper Sørensen
     Comments:
  [x](griffin) Uma Maheswara Rao Gangumalla
     Comments:
  [x](griffin) Luciano Resende
     Comments:
  [x](griffin) Henry Saputra
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Hivemall

Hivemall is a library for machine learning implemented as Hive
UDFs/UDAFs/UDTFs.

Hivemall has been incubating since 2016-09-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Two or more Apache Releases as an Incubator project
  2. Community growth (committers and users)
  3. Documentation improvements

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Github watchers/stars are gradually increasing:
    169 stars as of Sept 3 (was 145 on June 5)
  * Twitter account @ApacheHivemall followers are gradually increasing:
    154 followers as of Sept 3 (was 145 on June 5)
  * PPMC members (Makoto and Takeshi) will give a talk at ApacheCon North 
    America 2018
  * PPMC members (Makoto and Takuya) will give a demo at ACM RecSys'18.
    https://recsys.acm.org/recsys18/

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Preparing the second Apache release, v0.5.2. Release voting will start
  in Sept, 2018.
    
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project+%3D+HIVEMALL+AND+fixVersi
on+%3D+0.5.2

  Since the last report, we have
   * In the last 3 months, we opened 11 JIRA issues and closed 7 JIRA
   issues as seen in https://goo.gl/QFQEF5 (as of Sept 3)
                        Created   Resolved
            June 2018     4         3
            July 2018     1         1
             Aug 2018     6         3
   * Created 9 Pull Requests and closed 10 Pull Requests between June 1st
    and Aug 31th.
     
https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20created%3A201
8-06-01..2018-08-31
     
https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20closed%3A2018
-06-01..2018-08-31

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  March 5, 2018.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - Elected Jerome Banks as a committer on April 2.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](hivemall) Reynold Xin
     Comments:
  [X](hivemall) Xiangrui Meng
     Comments:
  [X](hivemall) Daniel Dai
     Comments:

--------------------
Myriad

Description:

Myriad enables co-existence of Apache Hadoop YARN and Apache Mesos
together on the same cluster and allows dynamic resource allocations
across both Hadoop and other applications running on the same physical
data center infrastructure.

Myriad has been incubating since 2015-03-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  * Grow the community and enroll new committers. 
  * Have (more) frequent Release cycles to be compliant with the Apache Way.
  * Creating roadmaps for releases with goals (new features).
  * Social media presence (new blog entries, conference talks).
  * Unblock the issue [MYRIAD-264] Upgrade Mesos API to 1.5.x

Any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?:

  This Poddlig is one of the listed at IPMC list thread
  “Poddlings length of time in the incubator”. This Poddling was stalled
  for about two years, however the current new PPMCs have the hope of
  increasing the community unlocking the main issue we are facing. We
  have had low dev-mailing list activity the pass months, nevertheless
  we are working for unlocking our main issue.

How has the community developed since the last report:

  General low activity since June.

How has the project developed since the last report:

  No visible activity.

How does the podling rate their own maturity:

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards next release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [x] Other: Working for outcoming our main blocker issue.

Date of last release:

  The 0.2.0 release was issued on Jun 29, 2016.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?:

  2018-05-22 New committer/PMC member Juan P. Gilaberte.
  2018-03-28 New committer/PMC member Javi Roman.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?:

  Yes. In particular Ted Dunning was really helpful for rebooting the
  project.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](myriad) Benjamin Hindman
     Comments:
  [ ](myriad) Danese Cooper
     Comments:
  [x](myriad) Ted Dunning
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  ted: Myriad is in the process of deciding whether to reboot as Apache or
  to go independent. This is on the knife edge and I personally don't know
  the right answer.

--------------------
Nemo

Nemo is a data processing system to flexibly control the runtime behaviors 
of a job to adapt to varying deployment characteristics.

Nemo has been incubating since 2018-02-04.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the community
  2. Create the first Apache release
  3. Donate code to ASF

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Committers actively sent PRs and did code reviews
  * Committers actively involved in mailing lists
  * Getting contributors including a GSoC student

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Made great progress in every aspect of the project
  * Working on the first release Almost done with the features to be 
    included in the first release
  * Solidified runtime by refactoring how to handle
    tasks, stages, and jobs, and scheduling policies
  * Rule-based policy support in the compiler
  * Composition of passes
  * Added Multiple DAG submission support in a user
    program
  * Added Beam 2.6, Beam SQL support
  * Spark RDD caching support
  * Task cloning support
  * Intermediate data locality aware scheduling
  * Added a WebUI (contributed by a GSoC student),
    which we will polish

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  None yet.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  None yet.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](nemo) Davor Bonaci
     Comments: All great; active community contributing towards the first 
     release.
  [X](nemo) Hyunsik Choi
     Comments:
  [X](nemo) Byung-Gon Chun
     Comments:
  [X](nemo) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
     Comments: Focusing on first release would be great, it would be a 
     great milestone for the podling
  [X](nemo) Markus Weimer
     Comments: Good progress all around; but it is time for a first release 
     :)
  [ ](nemo) Reynold Xin
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  Our mentors mostly have been helpful and responsive.

--------------------
PageSpeed

PageSpeed represents a series of open source technologies to help make the 
web faster by rewriting web pages to reduce latency and bandwidth.

PageSpeed has been incubating since 2017-09-30.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Create a first release
  2. The project needs more active developers

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  The last report being missed was my bad (oschaaf), I was on vacation
  and forgot to ask someone else to do it.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Again, there have been very limited external contributions, two 
  contributions to the core code-base.
  We do see certain users committing to helping out others on the google 
  group and github, some of them consistently for months now. 
  In terms of user engagement activity continues to be healthy.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - Problems with Travis timeouts have been mostly fixed
  - Flaking dependencies hosted on sourcefourge have been fixed
  - Work is still in progress for a particularly nasty bug, which 
    would be great to have fixed in a first release.
  - An external contributor has been maintaining a docker image 
    for ngx_pagespeed, which should be proposed for inclusion into 
    the ASF repo soon
 

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Feb 2 2018 (Huibao Lin, elected as both committer and PMC member)

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](pagespeed) Jukka Zitting
     Comments:
  [ ](pagespeed) Leif Hedstrom
     Comments:
  [X](pagespeed) Nick Kew
     Comments: A healthy level of activity in github/issues, but the dev
     list is looking thin (I don't recollect any of the issues reported
     above discussed there), and community development seems slow. 
  [ ](pagespeed) Phil Sorber
     Comments:

--------------------
Omid

Omid is a flexible, reliable, high performant and scalable ACID 
transactional framework that allows client applications to execute
transactions on top of MVCC key/value-based NoSQL datastores (currently
Apache HBase) providing Snapshot Isolation guarantees on the accessed data.

Omid has been incubating since 2016-03-28.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Get new committers.
  2. Finish integration with Apache Phoenix.
  3. Get positive feedback from other projects currently in Apache.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

N/A

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. Integration with Apache Phoenix is at its final stage.
  2. New active contributor, Yonatan Gottesman.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. Release 0.9.0 was released on June 10.
  2. Omid low latency [OMID-90] committed to a feature branch.
  3. Omid and Apache Phoenix integration is at its final stage. The Omid 
  version for the integration is located at feature branch 
  phoenix-integration. This feature branch will be the next release candidate 
  that will start a release process in a few weeks.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-06-10

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Signed-off-by:

  [X](omid) Alan Gates
     Comments: A criterion for graduation is adding at least one committer 
     to the project.  So I believe "Community building" would be a more
     accurate assessment of your podling's maturity. 
  [ ](omid) Lars Hofhansl
     Comments:
  [ ](omid) Flavio P. Junqueira
     Comments:
  [ ](omid) Thejas Nair
     Comments:
  [x](omid) James Taylor
     Comments: I've updated the community assessment to "Community building"
     based on Alan's feedback. Once a new committer is added to the project
     (which will happen soon), then we can update to "Nearing graduation".

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------

OpenWhisk  

OpenWhisk is an open source, distributed Serverless computing platform able to 
execute application logic (Actions) in response to events (Triggers) from 
external sources (Feeds) or HTTP requests governed by conditional logic 
(Rules). It provides a programming environment supported by a REST API-based 
Command Line Interface (CLI) along with tooling to support packaging and 
catalog services.  Additionally, it now provides options to host the platform 
components as Docker containers on various Container Frameworks such as Mesos, 
Kubernetes, and Compose.
 
OpenWhisk has been incubating since 2016-11-23.
   Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:    
   1. Finish the remaining component source code release under Incubator
      a. Release process/automation/documtantion are here 
      https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release). 
   2. Increase additional company and individual Contributors to maintain all 
   project repos. and address Issue / PR backlog.
   3. Close legal transferred of Trademark handoff for "OpenWhisk" name and 
   logo to ASF

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of? 
   

    * Issue backlog building on incubator-openwhisk is still a major issue 
  (partly due to #2 above). As of this report, the "open" issue backlog is 384 
  (up from 365 as of last report), but open PR is at 35 (down from 55 as of last 
  report). Please note this is just on the "main" platform repo. and likely is 
  paralleled in other release component repos.
        * Need to prioritize and work to reduce while advancing major proposals 
  around restructuring around abstractions to accommodate running on Knative 
  while enhancing support for better logging/scheduling and performance testing 
  enhancements.
        * Trying to add more active Committers to augment those who have 
  dropped off in their activity; however, we have reached an impasse where 
  potential new Contributor pull requests are not getting timely reviews/merges 
  to provide a resume' for adding to the Committer roles.
    * It seems that Apache Infra. will not provide us servers to host a staging 
  environment that would help us perform needed staging testing on Pull Requests. 
  This means that independent testing needs to be done by members (companies). 
  We have explored a corporate donation as suggested (ala Spark and SystemML), 
  but this does not seem possible at this time. 
        * No change in status since last quarterly report.
    * Formal hand-off of OpenWhisk trademark/logo from IBM needs to be 
  executed; need to identify process for this. See #3 above.
        * Discussion started w/ Apache legal via "legal-discuss" mailing list 
  with subject "Trademark handoff for "OpenWhisk" name and logo".
        * IBM intends to hand-off ownership of trademarks at time of graduation.

How has the community developed since the last report?    

    * dev mailing list activity increased since Q2 driven by release-related 
  activity and an increase in technical discussion on the mailing list.
    * incubator-openwhisk Github stars: 3472 (+254 since last report)
    * incubator-openwhisk GitHub forks: 652 (+36 since last report). Note lots 
  of more competing projects entering the Serverless space.
    * Slack community:
        * 969 members (+151 from last report).  Very active in most channels 
  from both end users or the project and contributors
        * To-date: 112,326 messages sent across all channels
        * Analytics: https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/admin/stats
    * The  bi-weekly Zoom "Technical Interchange" continues to be well received 
  and attended.
        * Complete videos posted to OW YouTube channel and detailed notes to 
  our CWIKI.
        * YouTube Channel: Apache Meetings Playlist
        * CWiki Meeting Notes: OpenWhisk Technical Interchange Meeting Notes
          * 2018-08-29: 
          https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-08-29+OW+Tech+Interch
ange+-+Meeting+Notes
          * 2018-08-15: 
          https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-08-15+OW+Tech+Interch
ange+-+Meeting+Notes
          * 2018-08-01: 
          https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-08-01+OW+Tech+Interch
ange+-+Meeting+Notes
          * 2018-07-18: 
          https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-07-18+OW+Tech+Interch
ange+-+Meeting+Notes
          * 2018-06-20: 
          https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-06-20+OW+Tech+Interch
ange+-+Meeting+Notes
          * 2018-06-06: 
          https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-06-06+OW+Tech+Interch
ange+-+Meeting+Notes

    * New Contributors
        * ICLAs received:
            * Qian Gao (gaoqian126@126.com), No intentions submitted (is this 
            Albert Gau from Cloud Academy?)
            * Manoj Mishra (manojmishra404@gmail.com) 
            (https://github.com/manojkmishra), Looking at integrating the "Karate" test 
            framework into OpenWhisk working with Rahul.
            * Rahul Tripathi (er.rahultr@yahoo.com) 
            (https://github.com/rahulqelfo), Leading the "Karate" test framework 
            integration (proposed). See https://github.com/rahulqelfo/ow-karate
            * Justin Halsall, IBM Developer Advocate based in NYC, Submitted 
            the Ruby runtime, helped update/correct website content, added CLI and 
            wskdeploy to Homebrew to provide convenient installs on Linux, Mac, and 
            Windows.  Seeks to improve end-user experience and documentation.
            * Kei Sawada (k@swd.cc)(https://github.com/remore) (@remore), Red 
            Hat, DevOps consultant, No intentions submitted.
        * Joined Community Interchange calls and introduced themselves:
            * Mparuthickal (Matthew) - NYC, last 4-5 months been exploring OW, 
            delivering all data fabric via OW api
            * Viay - also trying to inc. OW in our environment, doing PoC using 
            OW last 2 months
            * Sam Baxter - 2nd call, phd student at UMass an IBM intern, 
            looking at long-running computations using javascript
            * Spencer Krum, Similar job as Justin, works at IBM as an advocate; 
            wishes to become active in community.
            How has the project developed since the last report?
     Emphasis on these areas have been featured since last report:
        * Google Knative announce
            * The announcement of Knative has elicited LOTS of discussion on 
            dev list and during interchange calls, as well as proposals on the Wiki, as to 
            how OpenWhisk can better align/position itself relative to this Kubernetes 
            (family) technology.  See some of the proposal discussions:
                * Knative, Kubernetes, and Apache OpenWhisk
                * Prototyping for a future architecture
                * Proposal on a future architecture of OpenWhisk
                * Kafka and Proposal on a future architecture of OpenWhisk
                * Simplifying configuring OpenWhisk Components (#3984)
        * Naver has asked to be listed as both a project Supporter and an 
        acknowledged OpenWhisk provider
            * Logo added: http://openwhisk.apache.org/community.html#supporters
        * Release process
            * Please see incubator-openwhisk-release (code, tools, 
            documentation), see demo (as of 2/28): 
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkqenC5b1kE
            * So far we have release the following components
                * [RESULT][VOTE]: Release Apache OpenWhisk (Incubating): main 
                module 0.9.0 [RC2]
                    * https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/44d91b570ba51e7c88eff59aaca04a83fcad706bdabf4614baadac3f@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E
                * [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.0-incubating rc1: 
                OpenWhisk catalog and apigateway
                    * https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8df308901539b825466505e7e51df32ba511fa2a39de8335a694bd05@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E
                * [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk (Incubating): Client 
Go and CLI 0.9.0 [RC1]
                    * https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7985c7ad9528fada0efa4093d67ae47d78ba0dcf2f1f7f5916570f69@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E
                * [RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk 0.9.8-incubating rc1: 
OpenWhisk wskdeploy
                    * https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/caea29e3b3c8ea56f5bb3e40ee4b57153787ef193dc64ff63024230b@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E
            * with these components being prepared for the voting process:
                * Runtimes (i.e., NodeJS, Python, Java, Go, Ruby, Swift, etc.)
                    * The comm. is currently discussing how to align versions 
                    (i.e., rebase to same version level) for all runtime components
                    (e.g., Java, JS, Python, Ruby, etc.) now:
                    * Re: [DISCUSSION]: Proposing to use 1.12.0 as the version 
                    for all runtimes for the first-time
                        * https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7df7764fc6a0f33580ab5666645b61d857c5492ca6e1d2438c2518e8@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E
                * Providers (i.e., Alarms, Kafka/MessageHub, Cloudant/Couch)
             * The community anticipates producing a combined 1.x release (of 
             all components at once) in the near future under a single tar.gz.
        * Website revamp
            * See proposal here (with proof that no information was lost in 
            transitioning):
                * OpenWhisk Website Redesign: 
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/OpenWhisk+Website+Redesign
            * Apache Compliant: Updated to be fully compliant with Apache 
            standards: see https://whimsy.apache.org/pods/project/openwhisk
            * Canonical starting point for all things Apache OpenWhisk
                * Role-based
                    * The entire website was revamped and streamlined to 
                    include only current info targeted to 2 roles: Developer and Operator
                    * See Documentation: 
                    http://openwhisk.apache.org/documentation.html
                    * Indexed all content and added left-side navigation
                * Provided initial "getting started" examples for all language 
                runtimes (using CLI and wskdeploy
                * Leveraged github repo content, and created proper linkage to 
                further resources (no broken links)
                * Assured we had no redundant information
            * leverage CWiki
                * In addition, we cleaned up (and organized) the project 
                Confluence Wiki: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK
                * and the Cwiki content now has proper ANCHORS that we 
                reference from our project website.
            * Media Adaptive Content: Verified website worked in all major 
            browsers and on all device form-factors (mobile, tablet, and desktop)
        * Security enhancements
            * PureSec contacted PPMC about a runtime security vulnerability, 
            Rodric Rabbah took the lead in addressing and followed the Apache process (as 
            the project is mature for an Incubator project and we are aware that
            companies have OW in production)
                * [CVE] CVE-2018-11756 PHP Runtime for Apache OpenWhisk
                * [CVE] CVE-2018-11757 Docker Skeleton Runtime for Apache 
                OpenWhisk
             * Here is the Apache OpenWhisk project blog (Medium) explaining 
             the vulnerability and how it was closed by the team:
                  * https://medium.com/openwhisk/security-and-serverless-functions-b97618430db6
        * Scalability / Performance / Testing
             * Presentation/proposals to integrate the Karate Web Service Test 
             Framework into OW. Intent is not to overlap or replace exiting Scala
             tests but to allow Java developers the ability to submit new test cases
             more easily. See 
             https://github.com/intuit/karate.
                * Thread: OpenWhisk Karate Based BDD Functional and Performance 
                Tests
            * BDD Test Cases Contribution to complement existing test cases and 
            coverage
        * Runtime updates:
            * New runtime for the Ballerina language: Proposing Ballerina 
            Runtime for OpenWhisk
            * Github repo.: 
            https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-ballerina
        * Other Notable discussions/changes/issues/features:
            * [Discussion] Use TransactionID as ActivationID
                * Re: Proposal: Memory Aware Scheduling
            * logging baby step -- worth pursuing?
            * Pluggable API Gateways
                 * Re: AI Actions as a first-class citizen in OpenWhisk
            * MiniWhisk: what you think?
            * Proposing Lean OpenWhisk
            * System overflow based on invoker status
            * Add support for microkernels instead of containers

How would you assess the podling's maturity?  Please feel free to add your own 
commentary.    

   [ ] Initial setup
   [X] Working towards first release  (nearly complete, see above)
   [X] Community building
   [X] Nearing graduation  
   [ ] Other:  

Comments:
    * Need greater variety of contributors and contributing companies

Date of last release:    
    * Various, by component, see above for details    

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?    
    * New Committers+PPMC:
        * Ben Browning, Red Hat
        * Brendan McAdams, Red Hat
        * Sven Lange-Last, IBM
        * Tyson Norris, Adobe, added to PPMC (already a Committer)
    * New Committers: 
        * No new Committers

Signed-off-by: 
   
  [ ] (openwhisk) Bertrand Delacretaz  Comments:
  [ ] (openwhisk) Jim Jagielski  Comments:  
  [ ] (openwhisk) Isabel Drost-Fromm   Comments:

--------------------
Pony Mail

Pony Mail is a mail-archiving, archive viewing, and interaction service, 
that
can be integrated with many email platforms.

Pony Mail has been incubating since 2016-05-27.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Growing community and interest around the project
  2. Step up pace of branch development
  3. Fine-tune release process

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  Pony Mail is in a bit of a slumber at the moment, with the principal
  people being busy elsewhere. This is not to say that oversight isn't
  happening, but that the development pace has slowed significantly.
  We hope this picks up in the foreseeable future.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Sharan Foga has joined as a new mentor. We are assessing whether there
  is need for more people to help out.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Not much to report here, a few bug fixes and issues filed.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-02-19

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Sebastian Bazley was elected committer in Oct, 2016.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](ponymail) Andrew Bayer
     Comments:
  [X](ponymail) John D. Ament
     Comments:
  [x](ponymail) Sharan Foga
     Comments:Good to see community building being highlighted as something 
to work on.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
wave (Dave Fisher): I would ask what this project that has become core to 
ASF infra with lists.apache.org needs to do before graduating?

--------------------
Pulsar

Pulsar is a highly scalable, low latency messaging platform running on
commodity hardware. It provides simple pub-sub semantics over topics,
guaranteed at-least-once delivery of messages, automatic cursor management
for subscribers, and cross-datacenter replication.

Pulsar has been incubating since 2017-06-01.

Most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  None

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  Earlier in June there have been few discussions on the private list
  regarding communications regarding Pulsar that were not coming from
  PPMC or that were not respecting the ASF policies.  Clarifications
  followed between PPMC members, mentors and interested parties to
  ensure the mistakes were made in good faith and, in particular, to
  make sure everyone was fully has full understanding of ASF
  policies. There was no other branding related issue after the first
  occurrence.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  The community added 8 new contributors that submitted pull-requests
  which were merged into master.

  The number of users approaching the team on the Slack channel has
  kept steadily increasing since the last report. Many users have
  actively deployed. Pulsar for evaluation and production use cases.

  Different meetups were organized by project members and hosted by
  Yahoo in Sunnyvale and Yahoo Japan in Tokyo. We have presented
  Pulsar's introductions, updates on the state of the projects,
  deep-dives and hands-on tutorial, including recorded podcasts.

  One talk on Pulsar was presented at one at OSCon in July and there
  are several scheduled talks: 2 at ApacheCon in September, and 2
  others at Strata New York in September.

  Since the last report the number of weekly-active-users on the Slack
  channel has increased from 53 to 88.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  28 authors have pushed 494 commits to master in the last 3 months.

  The project has made the its seventh release since joining the
  Apache Incubator (2.1.0-incubating on Aug 2nd).

  This release introduced these new features:

   * Pulsar IO: A connector framework for moving data in and out of
     Apache Pulsar leveraging Pulsar Functions runtime.
   * A number of builtin connectors: (Aerospike, Cassandra, Kafka,
     Kinesis, RabbitMQ, Twitter)
   * Tiered Storage: An extension in Pulsar segment store to offload
     older segments into long term storage (e.g. HDFS, S3). S3 support
     is supported in 2.1 release.
   * Stateful function: Pulsar Functions is able to use State API for
     storing state within Pulsar.
   * Pulsar Go Client
   * Avro and Protobuf Schema support

  Community is actively working on a bug-fix release
  (2.1.1-incubating) and on the next milestone, 2.2 release for which
  the biggest feature will be support for SQL within Pulsar.

  Since June, 5 new PIPs (Pulsar Improvement Proposals) for
  major feature/changes, have been submitted to the wiki and
  discussed in the mailing list.

    PIP 23: Message Tracing By Interceptors
    PIP 22: Pulsar Dead Letter Topic
    PIP 21: Pulsar Edge Component
    PIP 20: Mechanism to revoke TLS authentication
    PIP 19: Pulsar SQL

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:
  2018-08-02, 2.1.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-06-11 - Ivan Kelly
  2018-06-11 - Jia Zhai

Signed-off-by:

  [X](pulsar) Dave Fisher
     Comments: Looking forward to the graduation resolution.
  [X](pulsar) Jim Jagielski
     Comments:
  [X](pulsar) P. Taylor Goetz
     Comments: Good report. At the urging of mentors, Pulsar completed a 
     maturity model evaluation, which I think worked well. They also dealt
     with the branding issue fairly well after realizing how important such
     issues are to the Foundation. 
     Currently moving toward graduation, which I support.
  [ ](pulsar) Francis Liu
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Quickstep

Quickstep is a high-performance database engine.

Quickstep has been incubating since 2016-03-29.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Adoption of the Quickstep technology.
  2. Grow the Quickstep developer community.
  3. Work towards a second release.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Harshad presented the Quickstep paper at VLDB 2018 conference in Rio De 
  Janeiro, Brazil.
  The presentation was attended by many database researchers and industry 
  practitioners.
  The presentation had explicit calls to collaborate and participate in the 
  Apache community.
  We plan to reach out with those who expressed interest in the project. 

How has the project developed since the last report?

  The development activity was slow during the summer.
  There are ongoing efforts on the following objectives.

  1. Enhancing the type system used by Quickstep
  2. Supporting concurrent queries in the system
  3. Developing a distributed version of Quickstep

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-03-25

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Dylan Bacon, June 2 2018 (committer)

Signed-off-by:

  [x](quickstep) Julian Hyde
     Comments: I am becoming worried about the project. Development 
     continues at a reasonable pace, and serves the needs of existing 
     contributors who are producing research papers. The "following
     objectives" listed above were not discussed on-list, AFAICT.

     However Quickstep is unable to attract outside contributors, nor 
     apparently achieve adoption by end users. 

     It is nearly 18 months since the last release. I will encourage
     them to make a new release. That will generate some activity, but it
     may not be enough.
  [x](quickstep) Roman Shaposhnik
     Comments: Big +1 to what Julian is saying. Also, see the following 
     thread on general: https://s.apache.org/Y6tt

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
S2Graph

S2Graph is a distributed and scalable OLTP graph database built on Apache
HBase to support fast traversal of extremely large graphs.

S2Graph has been incubating since 2015-11-29.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Make a third release.
  2. Attract more users and contributors.
  3. Build the developer community in both size and diversity.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * not much activities on the mailing list.
  * few active committers spend their time working on opened issues.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * mostly still working on opened issues.
    - 22 issues are created and 16 of them are resolved since the last 
    report(June 2018).
    - keep working on GraphQL integration/OLAP supports.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-08-26

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  None

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](s2graph) Andrew Purtell
     Comments:
  [ ](s2graph) Seetharam Venkatesh
     Comments:
  [X](s2graph) Sergio Fernández
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
SAMOA

SAMOA provides a collection of distributed streaming algorithms for the 
most common data mining and machine learning tasks such as classification, 
clustering, and regression, as well as programming abstractions to develop 
new algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines 
(DSPEs).
It features a pluggable architecture that allows it to run on several DSPEs 
such as Apache Storm, Apache S4, and Apache Samza.

SAMOA has been incubating since 2014-12-15.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Revitalize the project by resuming development
  2. Enlarge the user base and contributing community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware 
of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?
  *  Mailing list activity (June 2018 - August 2018):
    * @dev: 19 messages

How has the project developed since the last report?
  * 2 new PRs created
  * Presentation at KDD 2018 (MUD3 workshop) on urban data mining using 
  Apache SAMOA

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2016-09-30

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  January 2018

Signed-off-by:

  [X](samoa) Alan Gates
     Comments:  I agree with Ted, I remain concerned about the lack of 
     activity in this podling.
  [ ](samoa) Ashutosh Chauhan
     Comments:
  [ ](samoa) Enis Soztutar
     Comments:
  [x](samoa) Ted Dunning
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  ted: Almost no mailing list activity since April. March looked promising, 
  but after voting in a new committer, nothing much else happened.

--------------------
SensSoft

SensSoft is a software tool usability testing platform

SensSoft has been incubating since 2016-07-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Extending release process to other parts of the SensSoft software stack.
  2. Grow the Apache SensSoft (Incubating) Committer/Community Base.
  3. Complete the issues highlighted at the SensSoft Roadmap 
  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENSSOFT/Roadmaps 

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  Yes. In the last Quarter, a number of core Apache SensSoft committers 
  changed organization. While the Apache SensSoft team will use this as an 
  opportunity to organically grow the committer/community based, these 
  departures have caused branding concerns for the organization that 
  initiated the Apache SensSoft software gift to Apache—The Charles Stark 
  Draper Laboratory, Inc. (Draper). Specifically, in referencing an 
  affiliation with the ‘Apache SensSoft’ project at different organizations, 
  an Apache SensSoft committer received the following request from Draper:   
  “We flagged your signature for review by Draper legal since SENSOFTtm and 
  Software as a Sensor (R) are Draper-owned trademarks. As you know, the main 
  purpose of trademarks is to avoid customer confusion. We believe that the 
  use of SENSOFT or SOFTWARE AS A SENSOR in [another company’s] employee 
  signature block may lead to confusion as to the source and owner of the 
  SENSOFT product. While we appreciate your acknowledgement that Draper owns 
  SOFTWARE AS A SENSOR and SENSOFT technology, and the good will behind your 
  intentions to promote technology you worked on while at Draper, in order to 
  preserve the Draper trademarks we respectfully request that you either:  
  -Remove any reference of SENSOFT or SOFTWARE AS A SENSOR from your BAE 
  signature block;  OR  -Indicate in the signature directly following SENSOFT 
  the following: “SENSOFTtm and SOFTWARE AS A SENSOR are trademarks owned by 
  the Charles Stark Draper Laboratory, Inc.”  NOTE: SENSOFT refers to 
  SENSSOFT (SENSOFT is a misspelling)  The committer in question has 
  corresponded Draper and raised the issue that ‘Apache SensSoft’ refers to a 
  public open source project, where ‘Software as a Sensor’ and ‘SENSSOFT’ 
  refer to Draper proprietary technology, as well as citing the terms of the 
  Software Gift. Draper is steadfast in asserting rights now that committers 
  formerly at Draper are now at other employers.  While this affects the 
  Apache SensSoft community’s ability to grow through outreach and publicity, 
  we do not believe we require Legal assistance from the ASF. Rather, in 
  discussion with both Draper and Apache SensSoft PPMC/Champions, the path of 
  least resistance appears to be to change the Apache SensSoft project name. 
  The PPMC will initiate a vote on @dev for changing the name. If it passes, 
  a subsequent vote will determine the projects new name. In the meantime, 
  committers will begin removing references to Software as a Sensor(tm) from 
  project documentation. 

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Several community members have started new employment opening opportunities 
  for community growth in the last quarter. No new community members have 
  come onboard.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Development continues at a sustainable level. Several major improvements 
  have been made to make the Apache SensSoft stack deployable at various 
  levels of scale, including major improvements to documentation and 
  examples, and testing procedures. Project maturity roadmaps (Wiki) and 
  version release plans (JIRA) continue to be maintained.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-03-14

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Arthi Vezhavendan was added to PPMC and Committer base on 2017-01-24

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](senssoft) Paul Ramirez
     Comments:
  [X](senssoft) Lewis John McGibbney
     Comments: There are several issues identified above which, as would be 
     expected, have somewhat stunted sustained growth. SensSoft is still
     however on track to graduation with motivation for graduation still
     present. The above report was produced by a PPMC member this time
     around, NOT the mentoring team.
  [X](senssoft) Chris Mattmann
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  Dave Fisher - I've pointed the podling to the suitable name search and
  reminded them that they need to look into more than the name
  of the project. They need to check their product names like UserAle,
  TAP, Distill and Stout.

--------------------
SINGA

SINGA

SINGA is a distributed deep learning platform.

SINGA has been incubating since 2015-03-17.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Build and collect the information about the user community
  2. Release V2.0

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  No

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Two new contributors since the last report.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  The development was focusing on the autograd feature [SINGA-371, 382-385, 
  387-389, etc.], which is almost done.
  Every layer operation of Singa now supports autograd.
  There are 24, 56 and 26 emails in the mailing list for June, July and 
  August respectively.
  There are 80 commits since last report.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

  Singa has a diverse developer community.
  We need to collect the user community information and encourage open 
  discussion on the mailing list.

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-06-06

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2017-09-01

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](singa) Daniel Dai
     Comments:
  [X](singa) Alan Gates
     Comments:  Development in this project has picked up, and they have 
     successfully done releases and added contributors.  I agree they are 
     nearing graduation.
  [x](singa) Ted Dunning
     Comments:
  [ ](singa) Thejas Nair
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
SkyWalking

Skywalking is an APM (application performance monitor), especially for
microservice, Cloud Native and container-based architecture systems. Also
known as a distributed tracing system. It provides an automatic way to
instrument applications: no need to change any of the source code of the
target application; and an collector with an very high efficiency streaming
module.

SkyWalking has been incubating since 2017-12-08.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. IP clearance.
  3. First ASF release. (SkyWalking 5.0)
  3. Further ASF culture and processes.
  4. 5.x releases are stable for product, and have 5 open end users, at 
  least.
  5. Support multiple languages agents/SDKs.
  6. Integration with other pupolar OSS systems. Zipkin data format 
  supported.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  Have three Apache releases already. 5.0.0-alpha, 5.0.0-beta, 5.0.0-beta2.
  Another release is on going, 5.0.0-RC

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. .NetCore agent goes well, as a community agent implementation, have 
  received it is being used in product env.
  2. Node.js agent supports `egg` framework, releases the new version.
  3. More than 35 companies have confirmed they are using SkyWalking 
  through issue report or our powered-by page.
  4. There are 57 people to contribute codes to our main repo. 19 more than 
  the last report.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  The project has a diverse community, many users, contributors are from 
  different companies.
  There has been 100 commits by more than 30 contributors in the three 
  months.
  In beta2 release milestones, there are 160 issues and pull requests 
  solved.
  In RC release milestones, there are 124 issues and pull requests solved.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [x] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  beta2 12 Jul 2018
  RC(voting)  30 Aug 2018

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  May. 2018

Signed-off-by:

  [X](skywalking) Luke Han
     Comments:
  [X](skywalking) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments: It's great to see Skywalking has attracted lot of contributor
     and user durning the incubation.   
  [X](skywalking) Mick Semb Wever
     Comments:
  [X](skywalking) Ignasi Barrera
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Spot

Apache Spot is a platform for network telemetry built on an open data model
and Apache Hadoop.

Spot has been incubating since 2016-09-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Revive community activity (Discussion in mailing lists, increase 
  frequency of commits).
  2. Make it easier for Devs to create plug-ins for ingest of data.
  3. Developing a workflow in Spot that allows intuitive analytics without 
  the need of licensed software.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware 
of?

  N/A

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling through 
the cracks?

  Due to the community’s irregular activity level over the past months we 
  have had trouble aligning with our mentors. 
  The project is in the process of establishing a cadence to our activities 
  and we welcome help and advice from mentors.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Project wide meetings are continuing every 2 weeks. We are starting to see 
  more Pull Requests come in. Hoping that the end of summer (end of 
  vacations) will bring further participation from the community. We are 
  working on updating the Spot website and confluence pages to reflect 
  changes in the project.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  A roadmap draft has been constructed. Our next focus is creating a new 
  release. Therefore, work is underway on closing some long running Pull 
  Requests and important bug fixes.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-09-08

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-01-18

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](spot) Jarek Jarcec Cecho
     Comments:
  [ ](spot) Brock Noland
     Comments:
  [ ](spot) Andrei Savu
     Comments:
  [X](spot) Uma Maheswara Rao G
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Superset

Superset is an enterprise-ready web application for data exploration, data
visualization and dashboarding.

Superset has been incubating since 2017-05-21.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
  1. Plan and execute our first Apache release
  2. Align on a long-term product roadmap with the broader Apache Superset 
  community
  3. Grow the community and enroll new committers

Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware 
of?
  * At this point in time, we’re having issues on how to come up with the 
  LICENSE file needed for our first Apache release given the number of 
  dependencies we have on the Javascript side.  Since we package the JS 
  bundle along with our Python application, it seems like we'll have to
  come up with either a programmatic way to extract the LICENSE info, or ship 
  the application without the JS deps, and provide instruction has to how to 
  fetch and build the package deps, which isn't very convenient. We also have 
  some minor deps on GPL lib, one of which we need to get clarity as to how   
  to to handle them. It's related to the "chardet" sub dependency of the Pypi 
  requests library. 

  Currently, we believe there are 2 approaches to dealing with the LICENSE 
  and NOTICE files for Superset.  Either:
  A) Dynamically building these files by querying npm/pypi (the javascript 
  and python package repositories) for all the metadata and assembling these 
  files. See the list of JS packages organized by licenses here:
  Https://github.com/apache/incubator-superset/pull/5801
  B) The other approach is to distributed a stripped down version of Superset 
  that has a script that fetches external deps and builds it.

  The committers are activating around these issues and thinking creatively 
  about resolving them. A thread on dev@superset.incubator.apache.org was 
  started and a discussion is taking place.

How has the community developed since the last report?
  * Organic growth of our Github contributors (246->274), forks (3318->3627), 
  watchers
  (1020->1077) and stars (19,399->20,519)
  * Group of active committers meeting bi-weekly from Airbnb, Lyft and 
  Twitter.  Added Michelle Thomas as a new committer.

How has the project developed since the last report?
  * A completely redesigned dashboarding experience launched
  * Big Number charts have a new look and visualization
  * In the Table Config & SQL Lab -> Explore View, clicking a data source now 
  opens a modal with table editing for settings, columns, calculated columns, 
  & metrics
  * Addition of integration and functional tests
  * A healthy, constant flow of bug fixes, quality improvements and new
  features, take a look at the project’s Pulse on Github for more details

How does the podling rate their own maturity.
[ ] Initial setup
[X] Working towards first release
[ ] Community building
[ ] Nearing graduation
[ ] Other:

Date of last release:
  No official release yet since being voted into Apache
  Incubation.  (Planning for the first Apache release in Q4, 2018)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  * Michelle Thomas - Committer (2018-09-01)

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](superset) Ashutosh Chauhan
     Comments:
  [ ](superset) Luke Han
     Comments:
  [X](superset) Jim Jagielski
     Comments: A number of issues have been brought up to the PPMC

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Tamaya

Tamaya is a highly flexible configuration solution based on an modular,
extensible and injectable key/value based design, which should provide a
minimal but extendible modern and functional API leveraging SE, ME and EE
environments.

Tamaya has been incubating since 2014-11-14.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1.release new versions compliant with configJSR, rework API
  2.grow the community, get more active participants
  3.graduate as the project is functionally very mature already

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  We'd like to graduate after 0.4 is out.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  New external contributors: Aaron Coburn,  William Lieurance

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * minor bugfixes and small changes (due to summer holidays)
  * relatively low traffic on mailing lists
  * some interest via mail/contributions from external people/possibly new 
  contributors

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-05-27 v0.3-incubating

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  P. Ottlinger at 2016-04-24.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ] David Blevins
     Comments:
  [X] John D. Ament
     Comments: The podling shows a lot of potential, but I'm not sure there's   
     enough for it to move forward as a TLP.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Taverna

Taverna is a domain-independent suite of tools used to design and execute
data-driven workflows.

Taverna has been incubating since 2014-10-20.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Re-engage PPMC members
  2. Graduate?
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  INFRA-16698 is pending comments from Daniel Gruno / IPMC on how
  to manage incubator repositories on git-wip-us.apache.org that have
  been retired (in our case transferred to another GitHub organizations).
  The suggestion is to do a "git rm" and leave a README on the head commit
  pointing to the new location.

  See also
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b4672999838a64a1883407f0c827d7d40fdef13
f2424fa5465e944c3@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

How has the community developed since the last report?

  2 Google Summer of Code students have been active over the summer with
  strong guidance from mentors and getting pull requests merged.

  However the rest of the community has been very quiet and not
  commented much on the GSOC progress or pull requests.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Good progress from GSOC students, which code bases are now
  due a new release to include their changes.

  Two legacy git repositories were retired to not go through
  graduation (INFRA-16698).

  There is not much outstanding towards graduation, except
  re-engaging the PMC members.

  We will have to admit we are a slow project, which is
  OK (many Apache projects are), yet still there seems
  to be some kind of incubator fatigue - for
  instance no-one else picked up the job of doing this
  report although prompted to do so by a mentor.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [x] Other: PPMC dormant?

Date of last release:

  2018-01-18

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-02-26 (PPMC)

Signed-off-by:

  [x](taverna) Andy Seaborne
     Comments:
     The PPMC needs to work on a graduation plan. Graduation should
     not be a major task for Taverna but it does need doing.
  [ ](taverna) Daniel J Debrunner
     Comments:
  [ ](taverna) Marlon Pierce
     Comments:
  [x](taverna) Stian Soiland-Reyes
     Comments:
     GSOC activity may have taken focus from work
     towards graduation in this period.
  [ ](taverna) Suresh Marru
     Comments:
  [ ](taverna) Suresh Srinivas
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Tephra

Tephra is a system for providing globally consistent transactions
on top of Apache HBase and other storage engines.

Tephra has been incubating since 2016-03-07.

Two most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Improve community engagement
  2. Increase adoption

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  - None at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - 5 new JIRAs filed since the last report
  - 1 new subscriber in dev mailing list since the last report

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - Tephra 0.15.0-incubating released

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [x] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-09-04

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - None since coming to incubation

Signed-off-by:

  [X](tephra) Alan Gates
     Comments:
  [ ](tephra) Andrew Purtell
     Comments:
  [x](tephra) James Taylor
     Comments:
  [ ](tephra) Lars Hofhansl
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  Dave Fisher: This podling thinks they are near graduation, but has never 
  added any new committers/PPMC members. Not so sure. I sent a message to the 
  podling about this.
  Alan Gates:  This is my fault.  See email thread 
  https://lists.apache.org/thread.html413e06bde2263f2f56797e871b256ec1584f8c5
  41fdc5e96857b13f5@%3Cdev.tephra.apache.org%3E where I started pushing them 
  towards determining their future direction.  I assumed they had added 
  additional PPMC members without checking.  I can take this feedback back to 
  them and help them work through this.
  James Taylor: I've updated the community assessment to "Community building"
  based on the above feedback. 

--------------------
Warble

Warble has been incubating since 2018-06-11

Warble is a distributed endpoint monitoring solution where the agent is 
hosted
on your own hardware.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation.
  1. Engage initial committers.
  2. Set core design and feature set, avoid creep of new features before 
  the core is complete.
  3. Expand committers and community 

Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware 
of:
  none

How has the community developed since the last report?
  This is the first report since entering the Incubator. Community 
  involvement has slowly increased.

How has the project developed since the last report?
  This is the first report since entering the Incubator. Code has been 
  donated and work has been done on initial designs and documentation.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
  We're working through initial design as most of the donated code will need
  to be re-written/adapted to what we want to do with Warble. Community 
  input has been good working towards documentation and initial code updates.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [X] Other: Building initial designs and re-writing donated code

Date of last release:
  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  N/A

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](warble) Daniel Takamori
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  Justin Mclean: You might go toward solving 1 by adding the initial
  committers and mentors to the roster. I also note this is your first
  report when in you should of been reporting for every one of the
  first three months.

  Daniel Gruno: Chris actually did try to report earlier (I have said
  reports), but did not find Warble listed in the monthly report document.
  Bug in the system?

--------------------
Zipkin

Zipkin has been incubating since 2018-08-30

Zipkin is a distributed tracing system. It helps gather timing data needed 
to troubleshoot latency problems in microservice architectures. It manages 
both the collection and lookup of this data. Zipkin’s design is based on 
the Google Dapper paper.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation.
  1. Initial committers ICLAs
  2. Migrate GitHub repositories
  3. Migrate website

Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware 
of:
  none

How has the community developed since the last report?
  N/A

How has the project developed since the last report?
  N/A

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
  Zipkin only entered the Incubator just over a week ago.
  The project DNS and mailing lists have been setup.
  Currently in progress is git repository migration.
  Otherwise the community is still handing in ICLAs and learning up on ASF.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other: Building initial designs and re-writing donated code

Date of last release:
  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  N/A

Signed-off-by:

  [X](zipkin) Mick Semb Wever
     Comments:
  [X](zipkin) Andriy Redko
     Comments:
  [X](zipkin) John D. Ament
     Comments:
  [ ](zipkin) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

September2018 (last edited 2018-09-11 20:46:18 by Justin Mclean)