Navigation trail: ["JMeterProjectPages"] - ["JMeterDevelopment"]
Some developer docs are already available at [http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/extending/index.html JMeter Developer Manual]. They are mostly a how-to/recipe on how to create new components.
I've found that the actually difficult bit about JMeter is to understand its architecture, which has unexpected turns. This Wiki page is an attempt at documenting it. Getting content in is more important than structuring or writing it nicely. It would be even greater if we could record some rationale for the design decisions, too.
- ["JMeterArchitecturalOverview"] describes the main JMeter pieces: the GUI, the Test tree (aka Test Plan), the Engine,... and how they relate to each other.
- ["JMeterTestElements"] describes the different types of Test Elements (logic controllers, samplers, listeners, visualizers, timers, reporters, assertions,...) and how they interact with each other.
- ["JMeterTestExecution"] describes the test execution process as performed by the engine.
- ["JMeterVariablesAndFunctions"] explains how JMeter implements variables and functions.
- ["JMeterRemoteTestingArchitecture"] explains how JMeter implements remote testing.
- ["JMeterHelpImplementation"] explains how the help system works