You should have the following software installed:
Eclipse - Popular Development Platform
Subclipse - Eclipse Plugin that provides Subversion repository access
Maven - Project build tool capable of downloading dependent jars and creating eclipse config files.
- Install Eclipse 3.0.1
- Install Subclipse Plugin (0.9.24+)
In Eclipse under Help menu, Software Updates->Find and Install->Search for new features to install
Add remote site name Subclipse with this URL: http://subclipse.tigris.org/update
- Follow steps in wizard
- Install Maven
- make sure maven.bat is in PATH
- Import Team Project Set xml file (see contents below)
- see contents of XML listed inline in this Wiki
Team Project Set functionality in Eclipse is under File->Import->Team Project Set
- importing will take some time as all code is pulled down from the repository
- Define MAVEN_REPO classpath variable in Eclipse
Setting is in Preferences under Java->Build Path->Classpath Variables
- MAVEN_REPO on windows may default to something like C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/.maven/repository
- Run "maven eclipse" in each project directory to download required libs and create .classpath and .project files for project
- Refresh projects in Eclipse to read new config files generated by Maven
Team Project Set
- Save the following XML to a file called something like struts-head.psf.
This file is meant to be imported using the "File->Import->Team Project Set" functionality in Eclipse.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <psf version="2.0"> <provider id="org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.svnnature"> <project reference="0.9.3,http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/core/trunk,struts-core"/> <project reference="0.9.3,http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/el/trunk,struts-el"/> <project reference="0.9.3,http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/sandbox/trunk/struts-shale,struts-shale"/> </provider> </psf>
- The example team project set file above creates projects for struts-core, struts-el and struts-shale.
- Trying to run "maven eclipse" for struts-shale will not work unless you change the servlet-api dependency from 5.0.28 to 5.0.18 because 5.0.28 is not on ibiblio at this time. Make this change in project.xml.
- The team project set could also be used to pull down the source for a particular tag or branch.
- The struts-core project contains legacy javadoc for struts 1.0 and struts 1.1, if these were zipped up the checkout process would probably be somewhat faster.
- I believe there is a Maven Eclipse plugin that may simplify this but I haven't tried it out.