Axis2 Release Notes - Draft
Month DD, YYYY
After nearly two years of development, we are very proud to announce the release of Apache Axis2 1.1
Apache Axis2 is a complete re-design and re-write of the widely used Apache Axis SOAP stack to build on the lessons learnt from Apache Axis.
Apache Axis2 is more efficient, more modular and more XML-oriented than the older version. It is carefully designed to support the easy addition of plug-in "modules" that extend its functionality for features such as security and reliability.
A module supporting WS-Security (Apache Rampart), a module supporting WS-Reliable Messaging (Apache Sandesha) and a module supporting WS-Eventing (Savan) will be available after the Axis2 1.1 release.
Apache Axis2 not only supports SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2, but it also has integrated support for the widely popular REST style of Web services: the same business logic implementation can offer both a WS-* style interface as well as a REST style interface simultaneously.
Apache Axis2 is built on Apache Axiom, a new high performant, pull-based XML object model.
- Improved, XML-centric client API including full WSDL and policy support
- Support for any message exchange pattern
- Synchronous and asynchronous calls
- Archived service deployment model supporting full service encapsulation with versioning support
- Archived module deployment model supporting controlled extensibility with versioning support
- Hot deployment
- WS-Policy driven code generation extensions
- Flexible service lifecyle model
- Support for querying service's WSDL (using ?wsdl), schema (using ?xsd) and policies (using ?policy)
- SOAP 1.1 and 1.2
- Message Transmission Optimization Mechanism (MTOM), XML Optimized Packaging (XOP) and SOAP with Attachments
- WSDL 1.1, including both SOAP and HTTP bindings
- WS-Addressing (submission and final)
- SAAJ 1.1
Supported Data Bindings
- Axis Data Binding (ADB)
- JaxBRI (Experimental)
- WSDL2Java: Generate Java stubs and skeletons from a WSDL document.
- Java2WSDL: Generate a WSDL document from a Java class.
- Eclipse Plugin
- Web application for administering Apache Axis2
- Apache Rampart: Supporting WS-Security (and soon WS-Policy)
- Apache Sandesha2: Supporting WS-Reliable Messaging
(Apache Axis2 comes built in with a module that supports WS-Addressing.)
What's new in Axis2 1.1
- Better ADB support
- Attachments API + Complete support for SwA
- Spring support
- Better JMS support
- New Distribution structure and new samples
Thank you for your interest in Axis2.