News / Recent Development
This page describes the current status of the FOP development on a kind of monthly basis. See also the FOP status.
- 29 November 2005
Closing down this page to reduce redundancy. Please check http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/changes.html regularly!
- 23 November 2005
Apache FOP 0.90alpha 1 has finally been released!
- 21 August 2005
The first batch of changes to bring the PostScript Renderer to the same level as the PDF Renderer have been checked in. Both renderers now share more common code which should make them more easily maintainable and helps make sure that both renderers produce exactly the same output visually.
- Various improvements in the image handling code. Streams will now be closed more realiably and direct CCITT embedding support has been ported from the maintenance branch to the trunk (useful for black/white fax images). Better handling of different sources for images including an adapter for loading images using the ImageIO API available starting with JDK 1.4.
- 20 August 2005
- Block-level formatting objects now work inside fo:inline.
- 16 August 2005
- URI resolution has been improved a lot and it is now possible to use XML Commons Resolver.
- 12 August 2005
- First version of a visual testing facility checked in. It allows to produce bitmap from PDF, PS and Java2D renderers so the results can be easily compared.
- 5 August 2005
- The RTF generation library is now usable in a stand-alone fashion.
- 26 July 2005
We're thinking about doing a first preview release within about a two months from now. Most of the important features are working and people can slowly start trying a few things. Don't expect too much and please don't flood us with too many bug reports ATM. But feedback and especially help is more than welcome. We've only started stabilizing the codebase. The next immediate goal is to bring the PDF, PS and Java2D renderers to about the same quality level.
- 11 July 2005
Multi-Column layout is mostly working. There is an open problem with multi-column documents in conjunction with footnotes. (See MultiColumnLayout)
- 15 June 2005
- First batch of improvements for the AWT Viewer. Thanks to Richard Wheeldon!
- 9 June 2005
- Java2D/AWT Renderer resurrected. Thanks to Renaud Richardet!
- 24 May 2005
- Various improvements and fixes for markers and keeps (on all important FOs).
- 17 May 2005
- Footnotes are working.
- 13 May 2005
- The branch where we implemented the Knuth-style page breaking mechanism has been marged back into CVS HEAD. This means that we consider the new approach a success.
- 13 April 2005
- Most of the list functionality is implemented in Knuth style.
- 4 April 2005
The basic framework for table layout with Knuth elements stands. See TableLayout for more info.
- 29 March 2005
OFFO-hyphenation 1.0 released
- 8 March 2005
AWT-Renderer resurected more
- 1 March 2005
- 15 Feb 2005
Research and documentation of the collapsing border model. See CollapsingBorderModel.